Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I just read through this entire thread, and despite some misgivings, I signed up for both Goodreads and LibraryThing.

For Goodreads, I created a challenge question and answer that anyone here can answer (or should be able to -- hit up the SAclopedia if you're truly stuck, or PM me).

Please won't you be my neighbor?

So far I've done nothing other than just create super basic profiles on both sites and set a bunch of privacy settings; I haven't imported any books into either site yet, but I will be doing that over the next few weeks. I'm moving and I'm taking inventory as I pack books anyway, so this can fit it to that whole process.

Ornamented Death posted:

I vastly prefer LibraryThing over GoodReads, but then I'm also more interested in cataloging rather than the social aspects of either site, and LT is just light years better from that perspective.

I've also found that I'm approximately infinity percent more likely to get a free book from LT's giveaways than I am GR - I say this because I've gotten half a dozen or so books from LT and zero from GR.
As of right now, I don't think I care about giveaways, but from a quick look at both sites, I think I prefer LibraryThing's look (just personal taste), and like Ornamented Death I probably care more about the things LibraryThing is better at, between the two. But I also agree with whoever said earlier in the thread that a key to extracting value out of Goodreads is to be choosy about following well-read users with similar tastes but deeper benches of books they've read. That's also how I use some social music subscription sites, to find out about new stuff I usually like.

I might also use Goodreads for the Reading Challenge 2013, if I do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I just approved a bunch of outstanding friend requests from folks ITT, and added anyone who posted their links after my last post.

Link again if you want to friend me up (apologies to Color Me Badd): FRIENDZ!

:dance: HI THERE BOOK BUDDIES! :dance:

• Locked thread