Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1871737-tom

I read mainly sci-fi, fantasy, queer lit, with a spattering of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's talk Shelves!

I have a lot of goonfriends now on Goodreads and I've noticed a lot of you aren't really using custom shelves, but I think you should! It really improves your recommendations if you're looking for something particular (I check my sci-fi and fantasy shelf recommendations every time I add a new book, there's always something good popping up there).

Someone here was complaining that the sci-fi recommendations page, for instance, was giving fantasy books as well. But that's due to Goodreads' automated genre system, which is lovely. If you only search for recommendations based on books that you've shelved as sci-fi, you'll get a much better array of books. You'll notice if you start some genre shelves, that the recommendations page gives you two choices: recommending books based on what you've shelved, or books based on Goodreads' idea of what genres are.

Also, for a while I only had shelves of years: 2010, 2011, etc. Now I've got mostly genre shelves, and I'm going to delete my year shelves because if you go through your Stats, you can filter books by the year you read them anyway.

edit:
Another cool thing that shelving books will give you is better stats. For instance, here's the pi-charts of my shelves in the last two years:

2010 -

2011 -

I think it really shows how my tastes change.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 29, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh god. I have about 350 books on my Bookdepository wishlist, plus 200 or so that I've actually bought and have yet to read. The majority of those are on shelves in the spare room of my house. In my bedroom I have a shelf of about 50 or 60 which are "to read soon"... and out of those I have a rotating list of 15-20 which I want to read in the next few months.

I have way too many loving books :negative:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Forget the fan fiction, I found the next great scifi author of our time!

quote:

The grateful guest went to the kitchen, grabbed some celery from the fridge as well as a glass of milk. The coolness of the veggies soothed his hungry stomach. He got a little water after he drank the milk because milk doesn’t do a good job quenching thirst.

“Thank you very much!” said the Alexander with absolute cheerfulness. The attack though still lingered in his heart with much fear. He was able to hide his anxiety without much difficulty.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 14, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tuyop posted:

What's with goodreads' users' obsession with young adult novels? I hate that poo poo. Lately I've found myself reading quite a few fantasy novels for some reason.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't know where you guys got those profile links, but here's a link that might work somehow. http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM1OTc5OTkyNjM6MzYz

Good YA fiction is in no way different to good adult fiction, apart from less sex and swearing.

Caveat: Bad YA fiction is loving terrible and is all lots of Goodreads users tend to read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I agree, shelves are useful, especially to get recommendations from. Here's what I wrote earlier in this thread about them:

Hedrigall posted:

Let's talk Shelves!

I have a lot of goonfriends now on Goodreads and I've noticed a lot of you aren't really using custom shelves, but I think you should! It really improves your recommendations if you're looking for something particular (I check my sci-fi and fantasy shelf recommendations every time I add a new book, there's always something good popping up there).

Someone here was complaining that the sci-fi recommendations page, for instance, was giving fantasy books as well. But that's due to Goodreads' automated genre system, which is lovely. If you only search for recommendations based on books that you've shelved as sci-fi, you'll get a much better array of books. You'll notice if you start some genre shelves, that the recommendations page gives you two choices: recommending books based on what you've shelved, or books based on Goodreads' idea of what genres are.

Also, for a while I only had shelves of years: 2010, 2011, etc. Now I've got mostly genre shelves, and I'm going to delete my year shelves because if you go through your Stats, you can filter books by the year you read them anyway.

edit:
Another cool thing that shelving books will give you is better stats. For instance, here's the pi-charts of my shelves in the last two years:

2010 -

2011 -

I think it really shows how my tastes change.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish you jerks would use shelves more. Some of my goodreads friends have hundreds of books and they're all Read, Currently Reading or To Read. You can create shelves for genres or whatever else you want, you know! You'll get so many good recommendations if you do it, too. For example, here's all the shelves I have at the moment:

all (357)
read ‎(150)
currently-reading ‎(13)
to-read ‎(121)
must-read-this-year ‎(58)
stalled ‎(15)
*dying-to-read-again ‎(13)
*top-20-sf-novels ‎(15)
alien-characters ‎(13)
biography-memoir ‎(16)
discworld ‎(7)
fantasy ‎(40)
graphic-novel ‎(4)
historical ‎(4)
horror ‎(11)
humour ‎(22)
literature ‎(19)
movies ‎(6)
mystery ‎(7)
nonfiction ‎(27)
plays ‎(1)
queer ‎(25)
sci-fi ‎(55)
science ‎(5)
short-stories ‎(20)
space-horror-and-dark-sf ‎(11)
space-opera ‎(32)
spy-detective ‎(2)
young-adult ‎(21)

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1871737-tom if some of you aren't my friends yet

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
And that Madeline? loving oval office

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I tried to take a screenshot of it but it hosed up, but Goodreads just recommended me Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree Stories because I added Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory to my to-read list. :psyduck:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Mog posted:

By far, the most annoying thing about Goodreads are those high-rated, one-star reviews of books which consist of nothing other than a bunch of witty sayings, .gifs, and a "hell no"! Like, seriously, I don't give a poo poo if it was the dumbest book in the Universe. I don't care if it makes Twilight look like War & Peace. Tell me what you didn't like about it and why. You aren't half as funny as you think you are.

Almost as bad is the infamous, passive-aggressive "Sorry that this is one of the best books ever but I didn't like it. Sorry! Don't eat me! It wasn't for me. I'm really sorry guys, okay? I'm sorry for the one-star rating. If you don't like it, too bad. *shrugs*." It's like they're daring someone to call them out on their lack of a proper review that will let me know why they didn't like this #1 NYT King bestseller.

Those are annoying, but the most annoying thing about goodreads is self-published authors who spam Listopia with their books (usually by getting their friends to vote, or by making multiple accounts to vote, or colluding with other self-published authors to game the system together).

"Indie" authors have loving ruined Goodreads.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno, these are some supper compelling reviews:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have like 170 Goodreads friends now (not boasting) from here, Reddit and my blog, and it's great to log in and see an ever-updating feed of reviews and updates from people with mostly great taste.

I really wish Goodreads had a smart recommendation engine based on your friends list though. Something like "Show me books that at least 5 of my friends gave four or five stars".

Anyway here I am again in case anyone else wants to friend me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1871737-tom — I read SF/F, horror, LGBT fiction, historical fiction & nonfiction, science books, and books about film making. Oh and this is what my shelves look like:

my shelves posted:

read ‎(219)
currently-reading ‎(19)
stalled ‎(27)

to-read ‎(233)
to-buy-soon ‎(155)
must-read-sf ‎(80)
must-read-fantasy-horror ‎(58)
must-read-nonfiction ‎(41)
must-read-collections ‎(27)
must-read-other-fiction ‎(23)

top-25-sf-novels ‎(23)