Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Goodreads makes me mad. Not because horrible idiots give great books bad reviews, but because then their friends say in the comments, "Thanks for the review, now I'll know to avoid that terrible book!"

I love it. Idiots travel in flocks, and shared ignorance is their best shot at a comprehensive defense. I love reading reviews on Goodreads. Some are really intelligent, some are interesting and/or scathing, some are tryhard/gonzo nonsense, and others are so beautifully stupid and amusing. Pretty good peripheral entertainment.

Typically I do not give 1 or 5 star reviews because they're sort of unnecessary. I never hate a book so much that I'd give it 1, even if it somehow offended my sensibilities or opposed my ideals. And there are very few books I'll read more than twice, outside of academic reasons, and enjoy enough to 5-star. (Reading 1-star reviews of books I love is probably my most disgraceful habit. 5-star reviews of books I hate, and their simplicity, is likewise shameful but entertaining for a few minutes at least).

The 'librarian' status is kind of annoying. I have books that do not exist on the site or are mis-identified or missing editions, and I used to be able to add the cover image and everything, but they restricted it. Probably due to vandalism, and it's cured me of some kind of OCD, but still I want to have the ability to do these things, you repressive website.

I've actually won a few of the giveaways, but the giveaway page is filled with more and more bullshit every month and finding good/interesting books is difficult and time consuming now. It's also interesting how like 60% of Goodreads users are female....

Anyways, in more than a year I've amassed... 8 Goodreads friends. Obligatory profile link and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread