Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bumping because goodreads did something really good. Yay statistics. https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2016

Went to go crow at my dad about how I had completed my challenge of 53 books and then noted that he's read 199 books so didn't. That will teach me for being slightly smug about reading Copperfield's 911 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Agatha Christie is good for getting one's score up.

Define addiction.

my dad posted:

Well, you have rather a busier life than I do!

Well, it all got a bit silly, making sure I read my target of 12 books each 4 weeks, and each of the sub-targets too - one 19thC fiction, three 20thC fiction, four whodunnits, four non-fiction.

Loads were audiobooks, of course, which is easy while driving, gardening, watching cricket, etc.

Which meant I read too many in a way. Loads of whodunnits, without trying. Back to a general 104 target next year, I think.

Can I let you know tomorrow the book you might buy me for Xmas?

(re-posted with permission)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm with you there, read the Sherlock Holmes kindle omnibus thing and ended up finding a two part version to mark as read, because it didn't seem quite fair to read so many pages for 1 towards my challenge when you could just read a short story for the same reward.

I got an average of 411 which I suspect is the actual average, also got told off for having a 4.2 star average rating. It's that high because 2016 has been so lovely that I deliberately re-read favourite books or picked books I knew I would enjoy. 2017 is a time for brain thoughting.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I personally get a great deal of enjoyment out of trying to beat my dad's goodreads score. Single player games are fun an' all, but liking the multiplayer mode is also a valid choice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They are finally rolling out re-reads and it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Or you could find a group which reads the things you like to read and talk to them instead. If you go into a YA group or YA book review section then you are going to find teenagers, it's like going to a bookstore on the day of a new JK Rowling release and complaining that there are too many wizards in there.

• Locked thread