Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to delete my goodreads account. Bit uncomfortable about it being owned by Amazon now.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Grey posted:

I can think of a worse outcome... what if the books you've bought from Amazon all start showing up automatically on your Goodreads page? There are some books I got from Amazon that I'd prefer my friends not know about.

I really don't think Amazon is stupid enough to do this, and I really doubt their lawyers would let them do it even if someone there was dumb enough to try it on anything other than an opt-in-per-individual-book basis. I worked at B&N.com during a time when they were trying to build Goodreads-esque social features, and everyone was very well aware that people buy a lot of books for very private reasons.

My guess is they will make it easy to (optionally) import some of your purchase history, remove links to other retailers, increase the price of the ads, and then just leave it be.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

z0331 posted:

I don't know if Shelfari created similar sentiment, but everyone seems to think Amazon would have to be entirely inept to not do something to develop Goodreads and keep it going.

Shelfari was never as robust as Goodreads and never had the level of community, so it wasn't nearly as big a deal. Amazon doesn't need to do anything to "develop" Goodreads because it is already developed, already has a thriving community of users and strong author/publisher relations. That's why it's a good purchase... if the purchase doesn't scare that community off. Which it might.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 9, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes how terrible that the reviews for "Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3)" are full of all kinds of nerdy crap, surely unlike the actual contents of the book

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Grey posted:

I think people should set reading goals based on pages instead of book count. Setting the goal based on books wrongly influences people towards short books and away from long ones. The goodreads page count feature is great for this.

Short books are generally better than long books.

• Locked thread