Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
As an avid pepsi hater, I'm here to evangelize for coca cola.

Er, I mean... Librarything.com

Does the same thing as goodreads, but no ads! If you want to have more than 200 books though you need a pay account. I don't know what they charge though cause I got a lifetime one for like :20bux: 5 years back.

The two sites largely serve the same role, and innovations on one site normally find their way over to the other. Way back in the day I thought LT's interface was better, but who knows if thats still the case.

Either way. Librarything! Because GoodReads hates puppies.

Here's a link to collection http://www.librarything.com/profile/Yiggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do you all upload all your books efficiently? I started scanning stuff in with my phone but after going through just one room I'm already getting tired. I'd like to upload my Amazon purchase history somehow -- it's something like a thousand books over the years, and like 500 ebooks which I can't scan in anyway -- but I can't figure out how.

You just gotta do it a little bit at a time, especially as you add to your library. Thankfully I began cataloguing when I only had a few hundred and so have largely kept up with it as I go.

Quick solutions might include using librarything's ecat reader and then using their export feature to upload your list of books to whichever site you prefer best.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Maksamakkara posted:

I signed on librarything and it actually rules. The goodreads looks like a cheapish site full of ads but for some reason it has lot more users than librarything... :(

The catch-22 of the account fee. It pays for staff to develop the site and get rid of a lot of ads, but it drives off some users. Even if its only after 200 books, which I dare say most people don't need to worry about, it was still a turn off for a lot of people when they saw it. But yeah, I remember when they were coming out the big difference was that goodreads was completely free, and its color scheme was green instead of blehge/beige. I also remember that librarything was slower to establish a presence on facebook, whereas goodreads was pretty quick to set up a facebook application so people could catalogue through there, which definitely gave it a boost in userbase. I tried keeping up my catalogue on both for awhile but its just way easier to tag and catalogue on LibraryThing, and the site continued to improve in ways I felt good reads didn't.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I know epublishing is supposed to democratize the ebooks that get out there, but you know, sometimes the filtering role the publishing houses play shows itself in a positive light.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Imported my library from librarything to good reads, nothing organized in shelves yet. I don't like the lack of tags. Books.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

So I've got my library almost completely shelved and organized on goodreads, and now that I've gotten a chance to use it more I think its safe to say that all the improvements they've made have definitely made it a better social networking site for books. I think librarything tag system is still better, and that for managing a large book collection I would go with LT still. But almost no one is needing the site for that purpose, and the shelves, despite not being as easy to input (which means my shelf cloud isn't as varied or nuanced as my tag cloud), are functionally just as good. The social networking aspect of Goodreads is lightyears beyond the non-existent functionality on LT.

Pain me as it does to say, goodreads is the better site for most users. Which is obvious based on the thread, but just posting my 2 cents anyway. Also goodreads you're so pretty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Of that list on the blog, LibraryThing is probably the best alternative, and the admittedly ADHD blogger seems to have given it (and really all of the options) a cursory, unscrutinizing glance. Compared to good reads I find it easier to add books and tag/organize them. Showing other users based off library similarity (weighted and raw) is also pretty handy, I've found some really interesting libraries that way and I don't recall a similar function on good reads.

• Locked thread