Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Whalley posted:

The one time I accepted a free book in return for a review scared me off ever accepting that deal again. The worst book exists, and it's Where Madness Roosts and the fact that it has any ratings beyond one star is a sign that I should give up on reading any self published reviews on Goodreads. I swear, one of the reviews said something like "I hated it, but I won't give it one star because it's hard to write a whole book." every book on goodreads is a whole goddamn book.

I've gotten several good books from Goodreads giveaways, but I did get one absolutely terrible self-published one. Aside from the terrible writing in general, it didn't appear to have been proofread at all. One character's name was "Brian" and it was alternately written as "Brain" or "Brina". I wrote a scathing review, then felt bad about it but kept it up. It put me off anything self-published. From now on, I make sure that whatever book I'm interested in comes from a major publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

They do have good Giveaways, but sometimes it's hard to find them above the noise of self-published erotic supernatural teen fic. I just got Detained and Deported: Stories of Immigrant Families Under Fire, which is pretty good so far, though very depressing.

• Locked thread