Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I use both Library Thing and Good Reads. I find that LT is vastly superior as tool to catalog your books, but GR tends to have a better social aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Poutling posted:

I didn't know this about Simmons, care to elaborate?

He is virulently anti-Muslim.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PureRok posted:

I don't care about what the author thinks about anything. If the books are good then that's all that matters to me.

Yeah, but as an author gets increasingly passionate about something (for good or ill), it's often hard for them to keep that from infiltrating their writing. See: Dan Simmons with Flashback and Olympos

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

Goodreads is okay for keeping track of your library and occasionally scoring advance copies of stuff, but the whole glut of self-published nonsense and boring reviews make a large part of the site complete poo poo. I'm not surprised terrible authors are getting mad at terrible critics.

I've had a LOT more luck getting free books from Library Thing. And not terrible, self-published poo poo, either; I got an ARC of Harbor.

Also, I think there's a lot of crossover between what's offered, at least by the larger publishers, so if there's something you want, you can double your chances :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today?

When I bother to add stuff I read years ago, I try to remember how I felt about the book at that time and rate it accordingly. If I tried to rate it as if I read it today, I'd end up going back through all of my ratings every year or so because how I feel about a given book now is almost certain to be different than how I felt about it at the time I rated it.

It probably helps that I almost never trust Goodreads recommendations, so rating something like the Farseer trilogy as a solid 5 because I thought it was the best thing ever when I first read it in high school can skew my recommendations all it wants (I'd give it a 3 or 4 if I read it today).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

How the hell does House of Leaves even work as an ebook :psyduck:?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's also a matter of professionalism. I'm acquaintances with several authors and their only complaint about negative reviews is when the reviewer isn't clear about why he or she didn't like the book. They realize you can't please everyone all the time and negative reviews are just part of the business.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lord Dekks posted:

Is there a way (Or a browser extension) that lets you add an entire series to your book collection? When its a particular large collection like Terry Pratchett's Discworld etc its a pain having to manually lookup and add each book, especially when theres several versions under the authors name or search.

I haven't found one. Your best bet is to enter the ISBN on your version; the worse you'll have to deal with then may be a few different covers, instead of dozens of editions. It's still a time-consuming process, but that's cataloging for you :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

Ah, so that's where those things come from. Sometimes when I go to used book fairs, there'll be a guy or two with one of those (or something like it anyway) scanning the UPC of each book. I assume they're trying to find whatever's valuable or first editions they can flip for cash.

That's almost certainly what they're doing. gently caress those guys, they ruin the fun of stumbling across something rare at a used book store or library sale or something.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I prefer the tag system at Library Thing, so I use that :v:. I pretty much just use GR to track my annual challenges.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skellen posted:

Am I the only one who liked Dreamcatcher?

I was entertained by it, but more in a "holy poo poo where are we going after butt weasels" sort of way, as opposed to genuinely enjoying it. It was like watching a car crash in slow-motion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know of a similar website which is not now owned by such vicious tax dodgers?

Library Thing?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

joelcamefalling posted:

Aside from the part where he calls a six year old girl a bitch half a dozen times.

e: f;b

He's talking about a fictional character and some of you are acting like he's roaming the playground, shouting profanities at little girls.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yiggy posted:

Of that list on the blog, LibraryThing is probably the best alternative, and the admittedly ADHD blogger seems to have given it (and really all of the options) a cursory, unscrutinizing glance. Compared to good reads I find it easier to add books and tag/organize them. Showing other users based off library similarity (weighted and raw) is also pretty handy, I've found some really interesting libraries that way and I don't recall a similar function on good reads.

I vastly prefer LibraryThing over GoodReads, but then I'm also more interested in cataloging rather than the social aspects of either site, and LT is just light years better from that perspective.

I've also found that I'm approximately infinity percent more likely to get a free book from LT's giveaways than I am GR - I say this because I've gotten half a dozen or so books from LT and zero from GR.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Qwo posted:

Does LibraryThing have a good iphone app or mobile site? Goodreads is growing a little weary on me, but at least it's extremely convenient and easy to use.

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PureRok posted:

You can search by ISBN. Aren't those unique to each version of a book?

That won't work for anything prior to about 1970 or so.

• Locked thread