Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Early hardstyle was actually driving and more techno-like; reminisent of early 90s hard techno except with reversed bass. Before entirely turning into long boring uplifting melodies every track and completely worthless for any interesting mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Mixcloud is way better imo. Anyways here's my picks this week i guess i'd recommend them but i just kinda pick on whats popular on the chemrecs charts and it turns out well: http://i.imgur.com/kmxu8.png

Forgot bicep though! drat. meant to get his last one, heard good things. uk house/techno and uh.. bass all in one loving family <3 and r&s from Belgium but cmon close enough. Buy records guys. It's fun and it could grow as a niche instead of die considering how many are selling out these days. And if you buy share with me so i don't spent all of the money on records.. please

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Wow this is a post! I wish we had an SA version of that terribly oudated electronic music guide with a designated expert on each genre. I feel like i know enough of some harder niche genres to pick the exact 'anthems' of them. Like a genre expert would pick say, 10 tracks that represent the genre best and we organize a rough pyramid from it.

Because i know little to nothing about the subgenres of house but i would like to know. And i feel 10 tracks picked by a real fan of a genre is enough to give a good introduction to it. Same goes for techno because it's so wide. Just people restrain themselves if they genuinely DON'T know enough. like here is what i'd pick for say,

breakbeat hardcore (91-93)

Acen - Trip II The Moon (Production House 1992)
Metalheads - Terminator (Metalheadz 1992)
Awesome 3 - Don't Go (Awesome 1992)
Prodigy - Out Of Space (XL Recordings 1992)
Zero B - Lock Up (Monolith Mix) (Ffrreedom 1992)
NRG - You Got Me (Ruff On Wax 1993)
2 Bad Mice - Hold It Down (Moving Shadow 1991)
Alter-8 - E-vaper8 (Network 1992)
Terrorize - It's Just A Feeling (KMS 1991)
Top Buzz - Livin In Darkness (Basement 1993)

I know it's like a best of list but i'd love lists like that by others who know what they are on about. I know you could argue about it all day but a neat arrangement like this with YT links would be a great primer for people. No artist/label dupes to give some exploration to it.

And to stay on topic here's my 2012 uk-related techno one that i admit i'm not too experienced in:

Blawan - 6 to 6 Lick (Black Sun)
Joy O, Boddika and Pearson Sound - Faint (SunkLo)
Trevino - Tweaknomics (Revolver)
Martyn - Hello Darkness (Brainfeeder)
Jacques Green - Prism (3024)
WK7 - Do It Yourself (Power House)
Midland & Pariah - Untitled 1 (Sheworks)
South London Ordinance - Pacifica (2nd Drop)
Braiden - Belfry Tower (Rush Hour)
Tessela - D-Jane (Punch Drunk)

Anyway there's 20 different directions to go from there so it seems like a cool way of helping introduce people to a sound.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

Not just terribly outdated, it's altogether terrible. An entire electronic music catalogue written by a trance-head :stonk: Might be a good project to work alongside the house thread and make a 2013 guide.

Actually it would be nice to update the OP of this thread with a break-down of genres a bit more; explain a little about techno, mininmal, deep etc. AKP?

Atmospheric, I like this.

You're right it is all around bad with plain made up stuff all over it. There's just no alternative for a rapid fire introduction of electronic music and to help break people's immediate complaints about 'too many subgenres' and so on and why there is genuinely so much variation between things. I think 10 tracks is a good balance between too many and too little you got space to show variety in your picks. 28GG is great with his choices and breakdowns of genres so i'd like to see his 10 choices for various things.

I know we could argue all day about choices but my main thought was just to present a selection of tracks that represents the genre well, not if it's the best 10 possible picks. My main thought is how to exactly break down something like dubstep, which would be an obvious popular genre for people to check first, to 10 tracks. Maybe allow for more by giving 05-06 10 tracks and so on? Then it feels like a flood of info again though which is what i wanted to avoid. Have 10 big obvious examples of Techno, House, Dubstep, then smaller lists of certain timeframes/scenes. Like ontopic Techno would i suppose have 10 tracks of detroit era, 10 from German 90s era, 10 more modern ones prehaps?

I'd personally appreciate it done in some way as i never delved into House/Techno as it seemed just so wide. I'd love to see what an opinion of 10 important deep house tracks which all spanned different labels for example. While i myself can give decent lists for a fair few niche sounds, and definitely all the 'hard' subgenres.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Oh i'm really talking about it hoping to learn more about the past, where it's a lot easier to segment and see the path the various sounds took. Like for House i really like DJ Tonka's disco house bits but have no idea where to go from there to find more of that mid 90s sound. I listen to things from labels like Force Inc and don't know where to look next.

For current sounds its hard to know where to point people at all.. i go by label pretty much alone, and look for the odd white labels or nice sounding samples on new records. There's surprisingly still so much wax released for both techno/house.. it's great but i feel like i'm missing something with totally UK centric perspective.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
You are right but i was thinking along the lines of 10 tracks being actually useful to someone rather than just an example of the sound, thats why i mentioned trying to make all the labels different.. but you right i had the exact same thought about techno, how can you break that down? Pick the subjectively biggest track of each year?

With the genres i'm familar with it's clear era's to split up everything... hardcore is the main one. Dnb is 19 years old but pretty easy to is pretty easy to divide upi think personally.. have a pre-2000 and after 2000 list and then the subgenres like liquid, I have no idea where you would start with techno. Maybe just pick every 'obvious' big track then decide with people which should be cut to narrow the list. Apparentluy Maruiza (sp?) 3 should definitely be on the list for Techno though as discogs seems to recommend it as related for everything closely related to techno at all.

I'm not sure deep house is confusing though, i thought its pretty clear what's seperate? Although seems to be some confusing sometimes these days with 'nu-disco' or whatever you want to call it prehaps. By that i mean like Needwant Records and similar is nu-disco and both are sold in same record shops in same place.. For me Moodymann's old stuff is the best example i know of deep house even if some was made earlier. The situation with techno seems a lot more confusing though.

I think on the bright side most genres are not that complex, even big ones like Trance are straight forward. Ignoring the totally made up genres from Ikushrs guide. Theres hard trance, i guess 'early' trance, progtrance etc. but it's all well defined. Trance alone in my mind hasn't changed since late 90s enough to warrant separating it. So those can all be done fairly easy, hardcore/dnb is pretty much easy, you know about uk garage and the like. That's a fair bit of info for people right there. Add in some outliers like 'ambient' (royksopp like) and thats a lot of info currently not well laid out anywhere.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Sorry Blacksun didn't mean to pidgeon hole labels to genre there, i mentioned Needwant as Nu Disco cause it was the only example i could think of at the time. When it comes to labels, while i think they are the best for introducing people to music and should be an important part of any list, i just suggest only listing them along with the all important few selected tracks so people have somewhere to go and look for more of the same right away.

I mean a suggested labels section along with genres could be done if you felt there was something criminally overlooked due to not having a track. I agree when you say sometimes it just ends up with a a feel of a track .... that's why i think enthusiasts should be picking the tracks; if you are, say with house then you should pick in the areas you can.

It will be an immediately better guide just of the virtue of being multiple contributions. I notice reddit of all places having this exact discussion of replacing Ishkur btw. So i hope we can decide something and at least make some shortlists in only the genders we are intently familar.

A new guide could actually be popular an i do NOY want a guide made by reddit with 'complextro' in it. I was actually hoping we could put it up on site somewhere, is there anyone who could whip up something simple for I think maybe the easiest way to solve this could be done easily on a site by having simply Beginner/Extended option default set to beginner. We shortlist your anthems, pick the best or the ones which give a good spread of labels and time between each pick (like i tried to show with the hardcore list, 91/92/93 but obviously spread out more). Rest is in extended maybe with further information and explanations for choices.

Also i think one thing for certain there's no point in confusing flow charts of links between genres especially these days. Just have a solid list of 'primary' genres. Then the secondary list of subgenres that are clearly spawned from any primary. But no further than that in connections. I know the primary list might be a bit big then, but if the site design was nicely done it would be hardly conufusing. To a beginner its click the thing you don't know about. If you like it then click extended to get more.

What does anyone think of that? I'm no web designer though but it doesn't sound that complex. Just a good backend to update it would be useful. Lot of words there sorry i'm just enthusiastic about replacing that poo poo guide for christ sake and have a link i can give to clueless people all over the place.

Edit: i dont think we have to 100% leave out our subjective opinions on a track being in a genre or not. Just like justify the reasoning and maybe just a quick point of your creditionals in regards to a genre :p

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 26, 2012

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

a milk crime posted:

Ofc.

Anyway, I hope everyone is as excited as I am for the Nonplus+ Compilation coming out next month. Here's some Mark Fell & Mat Steel

snd - 08:22:61
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6sC504n27w

That and Blawan/Surgeon on SHEWORKS005. have you heard the samples of that? poo poo is awesome. Sounds even better than Blawan's last 2 EPs imo.

https://soundcloud.com/dynamic-tension/trade-sheworks005-preview and the included link on there has way longer samples. b2 my favourite.

What is some good non-UK labels to look out for in regards to techno? Since i'm not really familiar with it in general outside of the obvious. I just listen to every sample on chem-recs atm.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 30, 2013

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Heavier i think just not too experimental.. i got Fishermen EP on Skudge and Bleaching Agent Part 2 and they were appropriately uh banging i guess. Any suggestions of old labels along the lines of Force Inc would be be good too, like i don't know really about German labels at all. Only even found out about force inc from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA2_UOfbph0 in breakbeat hardcore mixes.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

reichsten posted:

Tough one, he can do Tech-House, but then he'll do a big acid line sometimes, and there's often that deep tom pattern, I usually just call it Bass, UK Bass or Deep/Tech House. Here's a few others you'll probably dig:

Julio Bashmore, Mia Dora, Dark Sky, Shadow Child, Kry Wolf, Jack Dixon (more on the techy side of things)

Edit: Also does anyone know where you can order vinyl for the Nonplus comp that's coming out soon? Typically I find their stuff at Surus, but this comp is going to be strictly 1000 and I really don't want to miss it. Far as I can tell it'll be the only way to get this one on vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aioJYp4zE

1000 is a big run for an LP i think, even a highly awaited one like this. If you just buy on the release date from chemical-records/surus/redeyerecords/boomkat then i'd expect you will get one. I'm pretty sure the stuff that's sold out instantly is less than 1000 and LPs tend to sell less anyway. Thats sort of just a guess though.

Are they really splitting it up? I thought that just meant about the samplers which are not included on the 5x12".

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Hm well when it comes to vinyl, i think Swamp81 within the scene is one of the best selling? But a lot of smaller ones do just say there is no money in it.. i guess i'm thinking too small though. Joy O & Boddika stuff is probably bigger than Swamp81 and this is really awaited, i can't see it selling out like those 12" at the price it's at though.

I am surprised they sell so much really after reading the relevant part of the article. Also the part about juke is funny.. i still don't get it at all.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 28, 2013

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Reacon posted:

Looking for rather thumpy techno with none of the vibe that is usually characteristic of House, because it always guarantees somebody is going to recommend me borderline tech house.

Here's my dilemma: I loving love Sandwell District, Conforce, but I can't find anything like them since my genre knowledge in techno only goes into the softer side of things (ambient dubno). Every time I look for something fast paced and thumpy, the vibes go to either old garage or tech house. I really want a deep, synthetic, energetic vibe to counter that of House, and I can't keep running back to what I know, because even classics get old.

Would appreciate any direction in this matter.

How fast paced and thumpy do you want to go? I've been listening to a lot of acid techno lately like Stay Up Forever type stuff, Hydraulix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
EDM is not referring to all dance music though, when people use it it's pretty obvious it's a recent trend referring to a select group of artists/sounds.. that's my opinion anyway. It's an American-centric term for music which mostly not American. I use the term if i mean that particular 'scene' of super commercialized electrohouse/trance.

Ontopic i bought a new record the other day and feel i have to tell this thread about it as i was super impressed, even though i know you guys are generally not into the hard techno stuff. SUFR41, remixes of the acidtechno classic One Night In Hackney, the A-side was decent but then the 2 bside remixes are amazing;

Straight up acid techno, but one of the best examples of the genre ever in my opinion;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVqtLpGX3c

And this breakcore/craziness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCbAi2B6iU