Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So, the manufacturer most famous for paying infants a bowl of rice a day to mangle great designs and make glorious non-euclidean masterworks has the NFL contract and we're already seeing some of their shenanigans. If you're not familiar with their work here's a sample:

... Wait, gently caress the Maryland jerseys were made by Underarmor... Uhh...

Clearly, Nike can't do anything without the express consent of the owner and the league, but it's a fair bet a lot of owners will see this as an opportunity to drum up jersey sales while the interest level is high. So what do you want or expect from your team, and what is popular opinion?

For the Bengals, people in Cinci really seem to hate the White on the black unis, and the opinion on the Orange and white jerseys are really divisive. This is pretty much what people want as a change:

I don't care for it though, too black pajama-ish. I'd rather they kept the Jersey the way it is, maybe do something with the uninspired font and numbers, but the pants could use some work. I think the design on the pants is far too heavy handed, I'd like to see it toned down a tad. I'd like to incorporate some orange in the socks, for sure, and of course anyone who even suggests touching the helmet should be shot.

On the subject of other teams I feel like The Texans could use some work, as well as the Falcons. Neither team's jersey is very iconic and I just don't care for either. I feel like most teams are established enough, though. How do you feel about your team's jerseys? Which team most needs a major redesign? How badly do you want a return of the creamsicle or Eagles Green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
If New England had never abandoned old Pat Patriot then Tom Brady might still be a virgin.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now I wish Underarmor had won the contract so Baltimore could gank the Maryland uni wholecloth.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
If the Oregon Ducks were an NFL team they would be the literal version of City Name Sports Team.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
As a whole, I don't think Nike's going to do anything as crazy as their one-offs for college teams. Instead, you'll see more of what they did with Washington State. With Wazzu, they put their uniforms in the 21st century, without being too garish. A good example is what you saw with the logo from the Panthers' gloves. Carolina's logomark is slightly updated without making it unrecognizable.

I am not beyond Nike to make one-off jerseys to help sales for their brand as well as each team. Instead of doing something ridiculous with say Houston's Battle Red, they'll focus on throwback-inspired choices. The AFL uniforms are popular (Pat Patriot, say) or at least provoke some discussion (Denver's University of Wyoming look). Perhaps there will be some more interesting designs, but you're not gonna see some crazy fonts and gradients on the Bears uniform.

The move to Nike makes a lot of sense, especially with its popularity among the players themselves. Here's something to ponder: Reebok's biggest athletes for their Reezig campaign are Peyton Manning, Chad Ochocinco, and Sidney Crosby. None of them having particularly great individual years, huh?

Almo
Jan 1, 2007

by angerbot
eagerly awaiting the day when the NFL makes the Packers wear all yellow alternates

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new Panthers logo looks like something from the Animated batman series that was popular when I was in grade school. Not saying I don't like it.

I'm hoping that Nike continues to play with the lettering and numbers, I think a lot of teams could really benefit from a change there. Think of the Seahawks with some green gradients in the numbers.

I love the Browns home jerseys but I don't really care for the whites.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 29, 2012

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
They should:
- never change the Browns uniforms
- since they're going to, just increase the white at the ends of the sleeves and maybe white around the collar. That would be cool.
- don't bring back orange jerseys
- don't bring back brown pants with either jersey color

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
Darren Rovell (mega important Twitter guy) said the other day that the decision to what magnitude the uniforms are altered will be ultimately left up to the team. I think we will see some Pro Combat one-offs, but I doubt anyone with tradition (which is corporate speak for super valuable brand that needs old people money) will change too much.

What you all need to worry about is October 2012. Nike has a certain obnoxious hue they use for their breast cancer awareness apparel and they will bring it full force. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-4294904657/t-Nike_Breast_Cancer_Awareness_Collection

Other than that, I look forward to some sideline gear and fan apparel that doesn't look Belichickian.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want to see some metalic helmets on certain teams. The Titans with chrome helmets, Impossible to say for sure until you see it but I like the idea.

Oh, and scrap the current Cowboys uniform. Ugly and no one piece matches the other.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I can't wait for the new Seahawks alternates :allears:

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Oh, and scrap the current Cowboys uniform. Ugly and no one piece matches the other.

Probably the most recognizable brand in the NFL, that uniform isn't going anywhere, my friend. Plus it still looks good, even if the pants are metallic blue.

But they definitely need to get Arizona and Minnesota out of their arena league uniforms.

Red helmets for Atlanta, bring back the kelly green for the Eagles and yellow for the Rams. San Diego can go ahead and always wear powder blue.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

I want to see some metalic helmets on certain teams. The Titans with chrome helmets, Impossible to say for sure until you see it but I like the idea.

Probably gonna get some matte helmets.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Colts:

Same Uniform forever.

Seriously the only changes are face mask colors, stripe size, blue darkness, and sock pattern. You can recognize every Colts team back for several decades with zero issue. Old Super Bowl Baltimore Colts footage makes their uniforms still look stupidly similar to what they are today, and that was back during single digit uniforms.

I'd secretly like a modern alternate uniform for kicks

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jersey and pant colors of the same primary color (not counting white :hitler:) need to be banished forever. I'm looking at you, New Orleans.

Black uniform, black pants, white socks. Michael Jackson wants his wardrobe back.

The black jersey with the gold pants is about 8 billion times better than this. The Cards are an offender too:

Petition to rename the team to Arizona Period Stains.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 29, 2012

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Look at how wrong you are.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Eagles: loving KELLY GREEN

Seriously that's it, get rid of that stupid Seahawks look-alike color and give me something unique.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

As long as Jeff Lurie owns the team, sadly I don't see that happening. That was his first move after buying it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't really follow college football closely enough to see how 'out there' Nike gets with uniforms, but the Niners' pants had better stay gold. :colbert:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

shyguy posted:

Jersey and pant colors of the same primary color (not counting white :hitler:) need to be banished forever. I'm looking at you, New Orleans.

Black uniform, black pants, white socks. Michael Jackson wants his wardrobe back.

The black jersey with the gold pants is about 8 billion times better than this. The Cards are an offender too:

Petition to rename the team to Arizona Period Stains.

I agree. Every team at home should just go with white or gray pants, pretty much. I guess a second team color is okay in some cases. But even when the Ravens do all-black it just looks kinda silly...like the black pajamas look TL pointed out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MissileWaster posted:

Look at how wrong you are.
Three tones of blue on three pieces of apparel. I get the pants but there's no reason for the helmet and the jersey to clash.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Just do it, Nike!

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Giants unis would look pretty cool with a matte blue helmet. They should add more blue to the white ones, the white and red with a blue helmet looks kind of weird.

Almo
Jan 1, 2007

by angerbot

troofs posted:

Giants unis would look pretty cool with a matte blue helmet. They should add more blue to the white ones, the white and red with a blue helmet looks kind of weird.

I kind of like their away unis for this reason.

but this is coming from someone who likes their red alternates.

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

Vikings need to go back to their old purple (the hue that doesn't look royal blue under TV lights) and need to get rid of the dumb horn logo on their helmets forever. The real Vikings of yore never wore horns on their heads and it just makes them look like the million other animal-themed teams. I would be happy if they embraced some more traditional Norse designs, both as a helmet logo and maybe as a subtle texture similar to what Wisconsin had in the Rose Bowl. If Nike can't find a way to use the yellow in their uniforms, then I think theyshould go with gold. Because Vikings pillage gold...and rape women...but mainly pillage gold.

I also want the Jags to adopt an Aztec-theme once they move to LA, with the option of solid gold uniforms. v:haw:v

Iron Clad Lou fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 29, 2012

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Just do it, Nike!

Screams Florida State.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Iron Clad Lou posted:

Vikings need to... get rid of the dumb horn logo on their helmets forever.

hi, gently caress off and die

(agreed about the purple. they should go back to the old purple people eater uniforms but with the new, less spermy-looking horn)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

troofs posted:

Honestly I just want the giant uniforms to stop being so god damned boring. I know, there's no real mascot, but "Blue with a tiny NY" or "White with a tiny NY" is really loving boring, give us something a little nicer than that if you want me to buy more than one.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
For the Dolphins, I'd like for them to look more like their older uniforms. They've lightened the aqua, which I think is a step in the right direction. But anyway, update this:

The Oilers aren't around to get confused with, and Chris Chambers isn't either lets do it!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Casao posted:

Honestly I just want the giant uniforms to stop being so god damned boring. I know, there's no real mascot, but "Blue with a tiny NY" or "White with a tiny NY" is really loving boring, give us something a little nicer than that if you want me to buy more than one.

Jerseychat: new jerseys in New Jersey?

I agree that they're pretty boring, though. And they honestly don't look like they fit the players very well.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Force players to wear costumes representing the animal their team is named after. Nike is that extreme.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
I seem to be the only person who legit loves the Seahawks all blue uniforms. Just bring back apathetic hawk and I'm aces.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Just do it, Nike!

mbisonyes.gif

Seriously, bring this the gently caress back. Also, make the gold pants permanent and make them more mustard colored than McDonald's yellow. And fix it so the sleeves on the shirts have the same numer of stripes on the pants.

Or, really, just make a good, modern updated version of this (not the one we wore in the early 2000s that looked too much like Florida State with the pewter-type gold):

But seriously, if nothing else: bring back the spear. It owns. Hard.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 29, 2012

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Can we talk about logos here because uh:

Apparently came from Nike's facebook page.

One of the nerds from Chris Creamer's cleaned it up:

If this is technically off topic I want the Falcons to go back to the Black/Silver. Yeah we might look like the Raiders but hell we play like them, might as well go all the way.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
While they better not actually replace the regular on-field jerseys (they won't...ever), I'd like to see what they can come up with for fun alternate Raiders jerseys. We already have the best goddamn uniforms in the league and the most amazing throwbacks ever.

I have this jersey in real life go ahead and be jealous.

So yeah even taking into account how most of the "Lights Out" jerseys look like poo poo they couldn't even manage to gently caress up Oakland's.

Being that it seems hard to take the Raiders colors and make a terrible looking uniform, I'm interested to see what they can create.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Just found a page that shows all the Nike team gloves for next year:

http://nflspinzone.com/2012/01/28/nike-vapor-jet-gloves-invade-nfl-2012-pro-bowl/

Unfortunately, the Skins one still has the current logo on it, guessing we won't be switching up too much in 2012.

At least we've gone back to burgundy and gold at home instead of white/white, but I was hoping for something a bit fresh to leave the stench of the last 2 decades behind

haccess
May 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

One of the nerds from Chris Creamer's cleaned it up:

Someone on Carolina Huddle tried to recreate it from the gloves pic as well:

That new logo is a major improvement, and it's a pretty good sign that the uniform redesign rumors that got floated this past offseason were true. I hope so just because seeing the same logo on the sides of helmets, shoulders, AND hips was so tacky that it would manage to irritate me way more than it should have.

Look at that poo poo:

Hopefully they keep elements from the "classic" uniform and just improve upon it, in the same way they've done with the logo. Expansion team now with throwbacks to remind you how old you are getting.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

Black Sunshine posted:

While they better not actually replace the regular on-field jerseys (they won't...ever), I'd like to see what they can come up with for fun alternate Raiders jerseys. We already have the best goddamn uniforms in the league and the most amazing throwbacks ever.

I have this jersey in real life go ahead and be jealous.

So yeah even taking into account how most of the "Lights Out" jerseys look like poo poo they couldn't even manage to gently caress up Oakland's.

Being that it seems hard to take the Raiders colors and make a terrible looking uniform, I'm interested to see what they can create.

Our throwback is by far the coolest in the league. I wish they would wear those more often.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is the fleur de lis still exactly the same as it always was?

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I already know the Lions aren't changing anything, but I wish they'd go back to the Barry-era uniforms.

• Locked thread