Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I unironically love the Browns brown jersey/orange helmet combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Rogue Elephant posted:

I unironically love the Browns brown jersey/orange helmet combo.

That's because it really owns.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

squarerandom posted:

Bring back the Packers Blue and Brown Circle w/negative space as numbers. DO IT.

I love these, but I know a lot of people hate them :/

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
It's going to be a long drat wait til April. I actually just had a thought that the Skins might get something a little extra special in the new Jersey department since its the teams 80th season in 2012.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Teams in need of a serious update:

Vikings and their Silk Cut jersey
Bengals and those loving stripes

People railing against the Eagles midnight green jersey in favour of the old one most be looking through some crystal kaleidoscope of pure nostalgia, because their current jersey owns and their old one does not. Someone explain to me how the Bills jersey looks ... anything. It's just a bunch of colours.

Oh and same shirt and pants colours are cool. They shouldn't be uniform but those Saints black jerseys own bones. There.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
These new jerseys are seriously going to be the loving Web 2.0 of football.

e: New Era is doing head wear? The "Sideline" knits/fitteds this season were nice, but this could be pretty awesome.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 2, 2012

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nerve posted:

I love these, but I know a lot of people hate them :/

I like them because they're incredibly out there.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Good Will Punting posted:

e: New Era is doing head wear? The "Sideline" knits/fitteds this season were nice, but this could be pretty awesome.

Oh gently caress yes, New Era is greatness. I only have two 59Fifty hats, but these hats are amazing and I plan on getting several more.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

MissileWaster posted:

Oh gently caress yes, New Era is greatness. I only have two 59Fifty hats, but these hats are amazing and I plan on getting several more.

I just want those drat Cowboys vapor whater, JUST TAKE MY MONEY NIKE.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Statler posted:

For about 99% of the uniforms, I agree. But if the Pats would use the 96 unis for throw backs, I'd be on board. No idea why, but I liked them.

Seriously? God I hated those. The numbers are so horrible, especially with the shadow. The rest of it isn't actually bad, but ...ugh. Those numbers are literally the worst ever. Even worse than the Steve Young 49ers and that crap the Cardinals use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

:dance:
(I'm slightly bitter about the last Reebok hat I got a few weeks ago where the logo or brim was slightly off center...including the replacement I got :argh:)

While we're on hat chat, anyone know how the Mitchell & Ness stuff is?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

These new jerseys are seriously going to be the loving Web 2.0 of football.

The new jerseys aren't going to be ridiculous. You'll see them made out of a lighter-weight material. The Pro Combat System of Dress (seriously what it's called) is about lightweight material and generally helping increase performance.

New Era doing hats is a step in the right direction, though NFL hats are hard to do unless you have a great helmet logo.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

japtor posted:

(I'm slightly bitter about the last Reebok hat I got a few weeks ago where the logo or brim was slightly off center...including the replacement I got :argh:)

Other than overpriced? Their throwback or custom stuff runs a little tight (Not enough to size up unless you're between sizes) but for the most part it's about the same as NE.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

squarerandom posted:

I just want those drat Cowboys vapor whater, JUST TAKE MY MONEY NIKE.

The gloves? Yeah, I'm definitely getting a pair.

I just wish they would rerelease the Oklahoma ones so I could get them too :argh:

New Era is great for me, I've got a huge head (size 8 in the 59Fifty, massive head...) and snapbacks and the general "Medium/Large" style hats don't fit.

E: New Era website doesn't have any pictures of the hats yet (other than Pro Bowl hats) but it has release dates. Looks like the Draft Day are going to be the general 59Fifty ones with logos releasing on April 2nd, gonna grab a Cowboys one as soon as they get them in at Lids. Training hats on May 1st, "On-Field Collection" on June 1st silhouette looks almost like this past years sideline style, then the winter knitted stuff coming September 1st which I'll probably snag a Cowboys one too since knitted caps are awesome.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 2, 2012

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Heaf posted:

The new jerseys aren't going to be ridiculous. You'll see them made out of a lighter-weight material. The Pro Combat System of Dress (seriously what it's called) is about lightweight material and generally helping increase performance.

"Pro Combat" is seriously a disgusting name for some sports teams' jerseys

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Rap posted:

"Pro Combat" is seriously a disgusting name for some sports teams' jerseys

Are you that easily offended?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I mean, I guess Yes? Looks that way. I just don't agree with using the term "combat" because the mixing of sports, military and violence is already really messed up. And since everything Nike does is calculated, it's now a marketing strategy to appeal to the militarism of football fans. That isn't actually good

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Combat isn't exclusive to war, the word only implies violence. Boxing and wrestling are called combat sports for example, and there is plenty of combat in football.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Rap posted:

I mean, I guess Yes? Looks that way. I just don't agree with using the term "combat" because the mixing of sports, military and violence is already really messed up. And since everything Nike does is calculated, it's now a marketing strategy to appeal to the militarism of football fans. That isn't actually good

I respect your opinion and kind of see where you're coming from, but I think you're probably thinking about it a bit too much. It's a pretty apt and harmless marketing campaign, and it's not as if Nike is marketing products in pre-World War I Germany, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about the "militarism" of football fans.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 2, 2012

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

japtor posted:

I have a Mitchell & Ness throwback hat, and it's by far my favorite hat I own. They are kind of overpriced, but I'd say the quality's a little bit better than New Era, and the throwback designs rule.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights

defiantgiant posted:

I have a Mitchell & Ness throwback hat, and it's by far my favorite hat I own. They are kind of overpriced, but I'd say the quality's a little bit better than New Era, and the throwback designs rule.

Yeah I got one for my friend for Christmas during that 50% sale on NFL.com, one of the throwback Steelers designs. It's fantastic in terms of design and quality. The only issue is it's such high quality that it's a bit rigid.

Also, it's going to be hilarious to see NFL players with the New Era Cold Weather hats (the ones with the earmuff flaps) on the sideline.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

I respect your opinion and kind of see where you're coming from, but I think you're probably thinking about it a bit too much. It's a pretty apt and harmless marketing campaign, and it's not as if Nike is marketing products in pre-World War I Germany, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about the "militarism" of football fans.

The militarism of football fans is a massive loving deal because it's a huge part of manufacturing consent for contemporary wars in the middle east.

That said there are far more egregious examples than 'pro combat', so I accept that much

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

The militarism of football fans is a massive loving deal because it's a huge part of manufacturing consent for contemporary wars in the middle east.

That said there are far more egregious examples than 'pro combat', so I accept that much

KEEP IN MIND THESE GAMES ARE BEING BROADCAST ON ARMED FORCES NETWORK, SHOWN TO ALL OUR BRAVE TROOPS DEFENDING AMERICAN LIVES IN.......kanda...sholahar? AFGHANISTAN! WE PLAY THESE GAMES FOR YOU TROOPS!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

This is a wonderful post.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Noam Chomsky for NFL Commissioner

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

swizz posted:

Noam Chomsky for NFL Commissioner

Day 1: Disbands the NFL for promoting regional tribalism that leads to a more violent society.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Retromancer posted:

Day 1: Disbands the NFL for promoting regional tribalism that leads to a more violent society.

Day 2: Riots in the streets, underground football begins.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

SolidPolonium posted:

New rule book is A 700 page sentence.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Footloose: Football Boogaloo 2

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

SolidPolonium posted:

Admit it, this would be loving cool

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

defiantgiant posted:

All this jersey chat just made me go buy a Jay Cutler throwback. The Bears' throwbacks were so awesome, I had to get one since they're probably never going to wear them again. Here's Jay running for his life in it:

(Fun Fact: that play resulted in a first down.) And here's Jay getting murdered in it:

Going to that uniform would the the only acceptable change for the Bears. Those numbers are SO much easier to see during a game, especially in-stadium.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

lol is this real?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

wilfoy posted:

lol is this real?

Absolutely not but it owns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

wilfoy posted:

lol is this real?

Noam Chomsky.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wilfoy posted:

lol is this real?

It's not wrong.

Military themes and verbiage are incredibly effective as advertising slogans, from products to policy. When we engage in a war we immediately decide its justified. No one fights unjustified wars, and will go to great lengths to convince themselves what they're doing his "right."

this is how you have things like the War on Poverty, War on Drugs, or bizarre things like the War On Christmas. It's a very powerful mental image that evokes many emotions.

The same is true in advertising. Nike spends millions a year on advertising, and there was a reason they didn't decide to call their new football line "Effective Padding." There's a reason Cam Newton isn't being sponsored by Under Compression Clothing.

Then you add in how many billions the Pentagon spends in marketing every year, and how every single football game begins with flags, soldiers, and aircraft, and it's really not hard to connect it all. That is, of course, if you're willing to research an idea that implies the abandonment of some of your agency and necessitates accepting that perhaps not all of your choices are made in a vacuum.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Considering how successfully sports channels natural tribalism into safer arenas, I'm ok with a certain amount of warlike lingo. It does get ridiculous from time to time

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Dave Zirin owns and you should read his books, but if you want like an introduction to militarism and patriotism in modern sports this is a pretty good place to start http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=151

you can watch a low-res preview of the entire thing which is fine because you really only need the sound

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's also funny how ten years ago Kellen Winslow somehow started a controversy by calling himself a soldier. Now Nike can call every football player a soldier and most people even on this forum think it's fine. Also funny: a kitten with a piece of paper

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Rap posted:

It's also funny how ten years ago Kellen Winslow somehow started a controversy by calling himself a soldier. Now Nike can call every football player a soldier and most people even on this forum think it's fine. Also funny: a kitten with a piece of paper

But not as funny as a full grown cat with tape on its feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Statler posted:

For about 99% of the uniforms, I agree. But if the Pats would use the 96 unis for throw backs, I'd be on board. No idea why, but I liked them.

These are the most 90s jerseys possible. Did they get loving NASCAR to design them or what?

• Locked thread