Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://freecampsites.net/

Don't pay 45 dollars to camp, cripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nsaP posted:

http://freecampsites.net/

Don't pay 45 dollars to camp, cripes.

The best result there is "head out into the desert, way out into BLM land, and find this place which is basically a cleared patch of dirt". (Selby campground) And it's pretty far inland. And you could camp anywhere on BLM land anyway, so the only advantage is the terrifying toilet and the ease with which your fellow campers could rob you, 20 miles from anything.

Edit: just going to the website for the Angeles National Forest is more productive, lots of sites at about $5/day

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

It's a bit too late in the season right now (I think they just closed the campsites) but just go up Angeles Crest Highway!!
Plus it's some of the best riding roads in California.

Neat! I ride a DRZ so that'd be great. I've actually never been up there, and it looks like its an easier trip than idylwild.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

Neat! I ride a DRZ so that'd be great. I've actually never been up there

Oh you're in for a treat. There's a lot of fun little sumo side roads all through the San Gabriels. PM me when you go exploring and if I'm free I'll show you a couple spots.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent place to camp along the Pacific Coast Highway north of LA? I'm looking at leaving the San Francisco area on Friday morning and heading down Hwy 1 until I'm near LA. The next day, check out the schools at UC Irvine and Riverside (possible grad schools for girlfriend) and just see LA in general, then head back Sunday. Any recommendations?

Edit: Malibu Creek State Park looked like a good option, but goddamn $45/night for a campsite, really?

I actually rode up there with botchedlobotomy one day and asked about it, they said that's per vehicle but for motorcycles, it's basically as many as you can fit in a campsite for $45, split it 3 ways, boom. $15 a pop.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I actually rode up there with botchedlobotomy one day and asked about it, they said that's per vehicle but for motorcycles, it's basically as many as you can fit in a campsite for $45, split it 3 ways, boom. $15 a pop.

I'll keep that in mind if I go on a group trip down that way, thanks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
A bit late to the sleeping bag discussion, but I really like Wiggy's bags. Basically the fibers used are antistatic, so it regains loft after being compressed, and they can even be tossed in with the laundry to clean. The downside to the it is that Wiggy's bags are a bit heavier and bulkier, but that's not as much of an issue on a bike as it is backpacking.

Really the big advantage to artificial fiber bags versus down is that they keep you warm even if they get wet.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 17, 2014

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Cargo net and my GPX sucked. The sub-frame ends quite far forward, so I had to dick around with using the edge of the plastic 'hugger' and the light stalks as another mount point for the rearmost hooks.

Luckily we had a support vehicle at the meet point with plenty of space, so I chucked everything in there and managed to get loose. Tried to pitch the tent, but the ground was stone about 4" beneath the soil. Ended up finding some rocks to weigh down the flyproof inner dome tent, and didn't bother with the outer layer with such good weather. Might look into something more lightweight for next year's trip(s), but mostly it just has me wanting a new bike :v:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I'm planning on taking a trip through Appalachia here in a couple of months. Ideally I'd like to keep it to four days and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I could definitely use some advice since this will be my first long trip on a bike.

Longest continuous ride I've done so far has been four hours, when I bought my KLR and got really lost on the way home. What's a comfortable amount of mileage per day to plan for? 300 miles, no more than 400?

Does anyone have any recommendations of great places to stop along the way? Here's a link to the basic point-to-point route I'm contemplating. https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zee1iFlzbpwQ.kjw6qabSpgqc

I do a lot of backpacking, so I'm planning on camping the whole way around. Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I've got about a million hiking/motorcycling suggestions near Asheville if you're interested, I was there all last year and did one or the other pretty much every weekend. I'm picking up a tiny little dualsport this weekend with the intention of doing pretty much the exact same route with the addition of Skyline drive and the start point being more in the Cleveland area this summer some time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mileage depends on your comfort level. 400/day, especially on back roads, sounds very reasonable on the KLR, especially if you're not the kind of person who likes to sleep until noon and maybe hit the road around 2 (like me). You could probably stretch it a little bit, but you'd be doing some Interstate hauls and the KLR, in my experience, has never been very good beyond around 70 mph.

What are you doing for luggage? Gonna go with a tent? Hammock? I had a lot of fun tent camping out of my KLR using Pelican cases. If you've got a source for fresh water that isn't two gallons in your side cases, that's a lot of weight you'd be saving right there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Back roads the whole way? I just did Cincy- Red River Gorge - Fayetteville, wv - Whytheville, VA - back up thru RRG - Home in 4 days riding. I averaged 250 miles a day, no highway, and I was beat. The trip was 5 days total but I rafted one day, that could have added to my fatigue.

I had plans for a lot more mileage but it just wasn't happening. Set up/Break down of camp takes a lot of time and effort every day, along with finding time to eat. In my mind I was gonna sit down at little mom & pop shops and take my time. In reality I ate fast food cause the internet was good and it was easy.

Partly I needed better planning but partly I was looking too big. I didn't even make it to the Blue Ridge. I think you might be planning a bit big for your first trip depending on your route plans. 300-400 miles on highway is different than 300 on roads you actually have to 'ride'.

Edit: This is p. close to what I did. http://goo.gl/maps/g4eCa

Day 1 was riding around D Boone and camping at the Gorge (The day before the gov't shutdown, I was camping illegally that morning lol).
Day 2 was going to Morehead then riding 32 from Morehead to Louisa (Awesome road btw), then from Louisa to Fayetteville.
Day 3 was rafting.
Day 4 I packed up after rafting and made it to Bluefield and realized I was still tired as hell, and I found that campsite in Jefferson.
Day 5 I woke up in the forest after camping illegally, SA Bro meet wasn't happening, my side bags were rubbing and bolts were vibrating out. I decided instead of hanging around an extra day or two and riding around the area, I was just gonna head back early. Went down to Marion to to the 'Tail Back of the Dragon' then came home the back way thru Pikeville. I think this was my longest day since day 4 was short, prob about 350 miles. I got a second wind around the RRG but man was I beat at the end of it.

For comparison I'll do 150 mile trips without stopping here, or 250 in a day if I'm having a nice cruise, without feeling too tired. I thought it'd be easy but when you add the previous days up and all the work making/breaking camp it takes more out of you than you think.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 17, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It might be different out west, but 300 miles in a day is pretty reasonable in my experience. As long as you're up and on the road before 10, it gives you room to run a slower pace and stop to look at things.

Back road state routes are my favorite way to get around but if there are things I want to check out and a backroad route makes it unfeasable, it could be worth hitting the slab for a couple hours to condense some miles.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

It might be different out west, but 300 miles in a day is pretty reasonable in my experience. As long as you're up and on the road before 10, it gives you room to run a slower pace and stop to look at things.

Back road state routes are my favorite way to get around but if there are things I want to check out and a backroad route makes it unfeasable, it could be worth hitting the slab for a couple hours to condense some miles.

I was on the road around 10 or 11 which was too late IMO. It was October so the sun was going down earlier and I didn't always have finite plans for camping so I would play it safe over trying to find somewhere to camp in the dark. But saying you get on the road at 10 and need to start finding camp around 6 it's 8 hours on the road. That's about ~40mph average without stopping ever, which isn't really that reasonable if you're riding curvy rural roads that are stopping thru towns. Also breaks to eat etc.

In the peak of summer you'll have more hours but it'll be busier. From what I'm told expecting to average 40mph on the Blue Ridge is a pipedream.

The mileage is way different when you can tick it off at a steady 80mph on a straight road.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Mileage depends on your comfort level. 400/day, especially on back roads, sounds very reasonable on the KLR, especially if you're not the kind of person who likes to sleep until noon and maybe hit the road around 2 (like me). You could probably stretch it a little bit, but you'd be doing some Interstate hauls and the KLR, in my experience, has never been very good beyond around 70 mph.

What are you doing for luggage? Gonna go with a tent? Hammock? I had a lot of fun tent camping out of my KLR using Pelican cases. If you've got a source for fresh water that isn't two gallons in your side cases, that's a lot of weight you'd be saving right there.

That's good to know... I don't want to plan too ambitiously and not enjoy the scenery, which is kind of the whole point. My plan is to avoid major highways since the wind shear at high speeds really sucks on the KLR.

I'm working on kitting out my KLR with crash guards, front fork brace, 16ct front sprocket, DIY sweet cheeks seat, and mounting up some 25mm ammo cans for saddle bags. I'm a pretty recent convert to hammocks, and I've been sewing up a whole hammock/tarp/underquilt setup, so that should pack down nicely since there's not much room in the side bags. I'm also travelling light on the water, since I plan on either filling up at gas stations or just treating local sources, so that'll help too.

nsaP posted:

I had plans for a lot more mileage but it just wasn't happening. Set up/Break down of camp takes a lot of time and effort every day, along with finding time to eat. In my mind I was gonna sit down at little mom & pop shops and take my time. In reality I ate fast food cause the internet was good and it was easy.

Partly I needed better planning but partly I was looking too big. I didn't even make it to the Blue Ridge. I think you might be planning a bit big for your first trip depending on your route plans. 300-400 miles on highway is different than 300 on roads you actually have to 'ride'.

Edit: This is p. close to what I did. http://goo.gl/maps/g4eCa

Thanks for the route! I'm going to do some overnight trips to make sure I've got everything in order first, and maybe condense some mileage expectations based on that, maybe tack on another day or something. My cousin is graduating from West Point, and this is kind of a last hurrah type trip for us before he gets deployed overseas. The longest trip I've done so far was when I picked up my KLR. I got lost on the way home and spent about 4 hours wandering around Amish country. Fantastic ride, but my buttocks started cramping pretty bad as I got closer to home... I'm hoping sweet cheeks should make things easier. There any better ways to make a dual sport seat more comfortable for touring?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'm with nsaP. 250 to 300 is plenty, especially on your first multiday and especially especially if you're doing any fireroads on the KLR (and you should be). 400 is no sweat on the interstate but it's not much fun either. Much better imo to pick a likely endpoint about 300 miles away and leave plenty of time to explore side roads, find an interesting place to eat lunch, chat with crusty old bikers you meet along the way, then find a campsite while it's light out. There's a lot to be said for riding as much as you possibly can, and even more so in the beautiful country you'll be headed through, but for me there's only so much riding I can properly enjoy in one day, and if I'm with a good buddy I want some time by the fire each night to sip whiskey and talk about all the cool stuff we saw.

You have the right idea about water. I usually pack two nalgenes, maybe three, fill them up each morning at the first stop and top them off at the last. If you stay hydrated during the day that's usually plenty for cooking dinner and breakfast and having some left to drink.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's beautiful riding tho, I was just going thru pics because the weather is so poo poo here.

Some shots on 32

Rt. 52 in WV

119 in WV

Made good time there but it wasn't limited access, you're doing 80 and cars are pulling off of side streets and turning in front of you...

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Matt if you're going, or can be around eastern Tennessee near the end of March it would be a shame to not check out March Moto Madness. A friend an I will be there (we're from northeast Ohio) and it looks fantastic. We've never done this event but have done a few like this and all have been the highlight of my year. I'm originally from this area so I know the riding is great. Check them out and if you can make it we could ride some trails together.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd say go out and run a couple of 250 mile days to see how you feel. Each person has a different tolerance for how many miles they can put in in a day. I'm tapped at 400 miles of freeway riding and don't want to even look at a bike anymore, but will happily do 800 mile days if it's primarily backroad with a couple hundred miles of freeway intermixed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kenny powerzzz posted:

Matt if you're going, or can be around eastern Tennessee near the end of March it would be a shame to not check out March Moto Madness. A friend an I will be there (we're from northeast Ohio) and it looks fantastic. We've never done this event but have done a few like this and all have been the highlight of my year. I'm originally from this area so I know the riding is great. Check them out and if you can make it we could ride some trails together.

Holy crap that looks amazing! I was planning on doing the Blue Ridge in May, but I might have to take off work and hit this as well.

When are you guys planning on riding down? I'm contemplating leaving Columbus after work on Wednesday, riding for a few hours and setting up camp around southern Ohio/northern Kentucky. That'd leave ~300 miles to knock out on Thursday to get down to the Rally. I don't know if you'd be interested or able to ride down together, but that might be an idea. Feel free to PM me if that fits your schedule and you'd like to try and work something out.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Holy crap that looks amazing! I was planning on doing the Blue Ridge in May, but I might have to take off work and hit this as well.

When are you guys planning on riding down? I'm contemplating leaving Columbus after work on Wednesday, riding for a few hours and setting up camp around southern Ohio/northern Kentucky. That'd leave ~300 miles to knock out on Thursday to get down to the Rally. I don't know if you'd be interested or able to ride down together, but that might be an idea. Feel free to PM me if that fits your schedule and you'd like to try and work something out.

I don't have pm's. Email me. Mraycgz@yahoo.com

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

We might have to have a mini-goonmeet at MMM... anyone else thinking of riding down from Chicago or that direction?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I'm in Ohio and am trucking down there (drz400 and box truck is a mini rv) but am definitely going and would live to ride and or party there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hmm I'd heard of March Moto Madness but never looked into it...I live about an hour north of Tellico Plains. I doubt I'll head down to it but if you guys want to do a mini goon meet or something I'm in. Also have a back yard for camping or a couch if needed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
The weather here had been absolutely gorgeous the last few days, with highs all the way up in the 40s and even 50s. So, a couple of my co-workers and I decided to go backpacking in Mohican State Forest this weekend. I decided gently caress it, I'll ride my bike, it's beautiful out. Perfect chance to get some motorcycle camping under my belt.

Consequently, I was completely unprepared for the snowstorm that hit us last night as we were hiking, and even less so for the two hour bike ride back home. By the time we hiked out, it was night and the precipitation had changed from rain to sleet to a very wet, heavy snowy mix. Between the constant snowstorm, freezing cold, darkness, awkward backpack, and complete lack of insulation on my legs, I was paralyzed with crushing anxiety and hypothermia by the time I arrived back at home. I'm honestly somewhat surprised I even did make it home... I was giving myself very long odds given the slick roads and the constant driving snow that kept accumulating on my visor. I don't think I've ever been so terrified on a bike before. At one point I thought I'd try the interstate because I figured the roads would be in better shape, but getting blown around by passing trucks and errant wind gusts at seventy was just a disaster waiting to happen, so I got off it as soon as possible onto the backroads where every other driver would blind me with their high beams instead.

The ride sucked, but the backpacking was great! I'll upload some pictures when I get them sorted later today.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hi dead camping thread!

I'm headed to Deals Gap so here's my camping set up

Whoops I forgot, that's not how the cool kids are doing it these days

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Whats up FZ6/cortech jacket buddy :hfive:

Here's me doing a test fit of all my gear:
Cortech super 2.0 tail bag, saddle bags, and tank bag full of clothes, my bio-lite, various survival supplies, first aid, fire starters etc. Then I netted on a lightweight sleeping bag, cheapo tent, a fishing pole.

I wish I had a naked version, my windshield does nothing but keep my helmet directly in a horrible loud buffeting zone. I'm thinking of getting the touring windscreen but who knows if it will help.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ABA-4S803-10-00-Touring-Windshield-FZ6/dp/B004K9G088

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Utterly craptastic photo, but over memorial day I went down to Hocking Hills with a bunch of people, including the guy that talked me into a KLR

Best discovery of the trip was S'more Steak

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

:911:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Make a smore, but instead of chocolate, use a reese's. Thank me later

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I finally test fit all of my bags and most of my gear. The movers are picking up almost all my other poo poo tomorrow so I had to stop being lazy. Doing a ~4800 mile trip from Anchorage down to Santa Cruz. Gonna be camping almost the whole way except for in Seattle

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ Is that going to be a one-way trip for you then? I'm jealous... that sounds like one of the best rides I can possibly imagine.

nsaP posted:

Make a smore, but instead of chocolate, use a reese's. Thank me later

Genius! I can't wait to give that a shot... incidentally, reeses also work exceptionally well in pancakes

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Hi dead camping thread!

I'm headed to Deals Gap so here's my camping set up

Bead riders are magic.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ Is that going to be a one-way trip for you then? I'm jealous... that sounds like one of the best rides I can possibly imagine.

Genius! I can't wait to give that a shot... incidentally, reeses also work exceptionally well in pancakes

Yup, one way. Might do it reverse in a few years if I move back but for now I'm going back to lane-splitting paradise.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
After a lot of researching, I think I've settled on the Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Camper air mattress for my upcoming 30-day trip. Basically was looking for comfort and not trapping body heat (ran far away from anything described as being good with keeping heat in in cold weather, as this is going to be a summer trip where it's pretty hot/humid). Probably a good idea to pack a rolled-up sheet of foam to lay down under it to prevent punctures/add a bit of comfort, right? Any other thoughts? Bike doesn't (and probably can't support, without an R/R upgrade I'm unwilling to invest in so close to selling it) have a DC outlet, so stuck with self-inflating.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Campin on a ridge tn. Impossible to get good lighting on a phone...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pompous Rhombus posted:

After a lot of researching, I think I've settled on the Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Camper air mattress for my upcoming 30-day trip. Basically was looking for comfort and not trapping body heat (ran far away from anything described as being good with keeping heat in in cold weather, as this is going to be a summer trip where it's pretty hot/humid). Probably a good idea to pack a rolled-up sheet of foam to lay down under it to prevent punctures/add a bit of comfort, right? Any other thoughts? Bike doesn't (and probably can't support, without an R/R upgrade I'm unwilling to invest in so close to selling it) have a DC outlet, so stuck with self-inflating.

If you don't mind spending a few more bucks, my buddy got the Neo Air Dream Mattress which is pretty heavy for backpacking, but perfect for a bike. Of all the camping pads thru I've tried over the years, this one is great... it's very nearly as good as a hammock :can:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 20, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Trekker and it's fantastic. Highly recommend their air pads.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

nsaP posted:

Campin on a ridge tn. Impossible to get good lighting on a phone...

God drat it you have no idea how jealous I am of that. Hope you're enjoying it though! Beautiful area down there. That shade and view looks wonderful.

RE: Sleeping pads

I have two. A very expensive Exped 9 Downmat which is like 3 inches thick and full of down. Rolls up to around the diameter of a football. The other one is a $50 Big Agnes that rolls up to the diameter of a small town newspaper if that. Can't remember the exact model.

I am a very very rough sleeper and need my comforts which is why I got the Exped. I bought the Big Agnes for spare gear for friends, and I've gotta say, other than the width and length I can't feel a difference between the two. I'm sure the Exped would be much better during cold weather what with the down, but for summer use there's no comparison. The Big Agnes is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and just as comfortable. With sleeping pads, the increase in cost really comes down to cold weather performance. If that's not needed just go for the Big Agnes. Don't make the mistake I did and blow $250 on a sleeping pad.

Also go to an REI if you can. They have sleeping pads out and inflated for you to try if you like.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you can spare the space a paco pad or an nrs sleeping pad would be pretty pimp. Never tried to tour with mine.

• Locked thread