Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thundercats is still really good. It was never a franchise I was super into as a kid but it's pretty cool here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is it a reboot or does it pick up from one of the cartoons? I haven't checked it out yet.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Another reboot. Separate from the Star/Marvel comics, the Wildstorm comics, or Rankin/Bass, 2011, and Roar cartoons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inkspot posted:

Another reboot. Separate from the Star/Marvel comics, the Wildstorm comics, or Rankin/Bass, 2011, and Roar cartoons.

Well I'm at least thankful it's not a continuation of the Wildstorm comics. Those were rough.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is cool that every 80s-90s cartoon can have a home in comics. Where is our The Critic comic?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

It is cool that every 80s-90s cartoon can have a home in comics. Where is our The Critic comic?

It stinks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Well I'm at least thankful it's not a continuation of the Wildstorm comics. Those were rough.

I didn't read the Wildstorm stuff because I remember it was set in the future of the cartoon, which is fine, and thus had aged up Wilys Kit and Kat and their first appearance is in like Princess Leia at Jabba's palace apparel. Just put it back on the shelf.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't read the Wildstorm stuff because I remember it was set in the future of the cartoon, which is fine, and thus had aged up Wilys Kit and Kat and their first appearance is in like Princess Leia at Jabba's palace apparel. Just put it back on the shelf.

Yes that is one of the bad things I was talking about. It was a direct continuation picking up from the last episode of the original cartoon series. Lion-O goes into the Book of Omens to train. While he's supposed to be in there for years of training no time is supposed to pass on the outside. But Mumm-Ra does some evil magic, as he is wont to do, and time does end up passing. So during that time they defeat the Thundercats. Take them all as prisoners and... well let's not get into what is both shown and implied happens to them during this time. Definitely done to prove this ain't no kid's cartoon anymore! It's really bad. So glad to not have that still be a thing.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

It is cool that every 80s-90s cartoon can have a home in comics.

Speaking of which, a company called Nacelle has acquired the rights to a number of half-remembered properties and plans to do new titles with each of them through Oni Press. A special issue introducing the shared universe (of course it's a shared universe) comes out next week. Nacelle says it's also working on new animated series for each property. The properties are RoboForce, Biker Mice from Mars, The Great Garloo, Sectaurs, Power Lords, and C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa.

Remember any of these?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Action Jacktion posted:

Speaking of which, a company called Nacelle has acquired the rights to a number of half-remembered properties and plans to do new titles with each of them through Oni Press. A special issue introducing the shared universe (of course it's a shared universe) comes out next week. Nacelle says it's also working on new animated series for each property. The properties are RoboForce, Biker Mice from Mars, The Great Garloo, Sectaurs, Power Lords, and C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa.

Remember any of these?

I've heard of Biker Mice From Mars but never seen it. I know of Sectaurs only because I inherited some of my older cousin's toys when from when he was a kid of a couple of them were weird bug people with big eyes called Sectaurs. Never once saw the show though as I'm pretty sure it was cancelled before I would have been old enough to see it and it never played in reruns. Most of the cartoons I loved as a kid were all reruns by the time I saw them like GI Joe, Thundercats, Ghostbusters, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone license EXO-SQUAD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked some trash cartoons as a kid, haha. I remember in kindergarten I had a Denver The Last Dinosaur lunchbox. I think every kid had a dinosaur phase around five years old but I was unlucky enough to have that as the dinosaur cartoon on TV at the time. At least Land Before Time was actually good, but it wasn't on TV every day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sectaurs I remember the toys pretty well because the bug thing and the big bugs the figures rode looked just enough like the real thing to creep me out so I never got into them, but I think this and the cost was on the whole why the toy line didn't do well. I had some of Robo Force but their big deal was their lower half was suction cups so they could stick to anything (for the first day or so you had them). Biker Mice felt like even to me as a dumb kid another attempt at TMNT. The other two honestly no knowledge of.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

X-O posted:

I liked some trash cartoons as a kid, haha. I remember in kindergarten I had a Denver The Last Dinosaur lunchbox. I think every kid had a dinosaur phase around five years old but I was unlucky enough to have that as the dinosaur cartoon on TV at the time. At least Land Before Time was actually good, but it wasn't on TV every day.

It could have been worse. You could have had a Widget the World Watcher VHS like I did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Nick Spencer's Morning Glories ever finish?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved the robo force toys as a kid because instead of feet they had a suction cup base so you could stick them on walls and stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

Did Nick Spencer's Morning Glories ever finish?

No. Like most of his personal projects it faltered when he couldn't find a way to end the story without either being pelted with rotten tomatoes or having to admit that mind control through torture doesn't work. Although on that note, he's been making noises about returning to Bedlam.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

X-O posted:

I've heard of Biker Mice From Mars but never seen it. I know of Sectaurs only because I inherited some of my older cousin's toys when from when he was a kid of a couple of them were weird bug people with big eyes called Sectaurs. Never once saw the show though as I'm pretty sure it was cancelled before I would have been old enough to see it and it never played in reruns. Most of the cartoons I loved as a kid were all reruns by the time I saw them like GI Joe, Thundercats, Ghostbusters, etc.

Sectaurs only had a five-episode mini-series and an eight-issue Marvel series. The line seems like a rip-off of Thundercats but both started the same year. And yeah a major gimmick was there were big bug puppets the figures could ride on.

ruddiger posted:

I loved the robo force toys as a kid because instead of feet they had a suction cup base so you could stick them on walls and stuff.

RoboForce had a single half-hour animated special and three issues from DC. Unfortunately the line came out in 1984, the same year Transformers started, and the squat, chunky RoboForce figures couldn't compete. But there was the large-scale programmable Maxx Steele, part of the early to mid-80s home robot wave.

But does anyone really want to read comics with these characters, or see them interact? I'm not sure of the point.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Someone license EXO-SQUAD.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The new Dark Horse Ram V joint Dawnrunner starts off as basically Pacific Rim, which is fine as I love that poo poo. It does seem to be going off in a different direction, though, as the giant robot AI seems to have inhabited a human body somehow.

I'd recommend it!