Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I got some good news from my comic shop today.

Title:: Orc Stain
Publisher: Image
Brief description: Well there's an orc and he's really good at breaking things and there's a swamp which who poisons people and they have to stop some other orcs and you know what trying to describe the story is stupid. It's an adventure book.
Why I like it: The art. Oh my god the art. Every page, every panel. James Stokoe's art is just...oh jesus I can't even describe it.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Haha that's a funny story. You can't find back issues of it and the TPB is apparently out of print already and is going for like 40 bucks on amazon for a used copy. The TPB is really the only place to start and then you have to try to find a copy of issue #6 which came out almost a year ago I think.

BUT #7 is apparently coming out in like three weeks! Hooray!

I was going to post up a piece on Orc Stain. It really is the best book around (when it's released).

Comixology also have all six issues up too if people want to (and really should) catch up before the next issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just wanna say that I love the Goon more than I can describe in words. If you're not reading it you're doing yourself a disservice. I hope we get new issues on something like a regular schedule again.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Lurdiak posted:

Just wanna say that I love the Goon more than I can describe in words. If you're not reading it you're doing yourself a disservice. I hope we get new issues on something like a regular schedule again.

It's been bi-monthly again recently. Yay!

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Whenever I ask about fantasy comics people recommend Orc Stain. Is it really that hard to find the first six issues? Like, if I can do it for fiveish dollars a back issue I'll probably start reading it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Whenever I ask about fantasy comics people recommend Orc Stain. Is it really that hard to find the first six issues? Like, if I can do it for fiveish dollars a back issue I'll probably start reading it.
If you don't mind reading them digitally then they're really easy to find. Comixology has them.

If you want to find the physical back issues then you're basically out of luck. I'm not exaggerating. I just checked ebay and there's one listing for #1 at almost 40 dollars and nothing at all for 2 and 3. I'm not saying you aren't going to stumble on them in a back issue bin but I wouldn't hold your breath.

And if you decide to buy them digitally why not pick up Nonplayer #1 while you're at it?

Title:: Nonplayer
Brief description: In the near-ish future a girl with a dead end job who still lives with her mom gets drawn into a deep web of conspiracy concerning the online video game she spends all her free time playing
Why I like it: The art, mostly. I mean it's a good sci-fi story but you'll pick it up to look at the pictures. It got a thumbs up from Geoff Darrow, Frank Quitely, and Moebius which really does count for something if comic book art means anything to you.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue #1 on comixology! That's also the only jump on point. And the only issue. That was published in April of last year. :sigh:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue #1 on comixology! That's also the only jump on point. And the only issue. That was published in April of last year. :sigh:

In fairness there is a good reason for that, Nate Simpson broke the collarbone of his drawing arm after falling off his bike and I think he only recently started drawing again.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

In fairness there is a good reason for that, Nate Simpson broke the collarbone of his drawing arm after falling off his bike and I think he only recently started drawing again.

And this was a guy who said that he'll be taking a while on issues because he has a real job to be doing too.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Title: Moriarity
Publisher:Image
Brief description: The premise is that after killing Sherlock Holmes Professor Moriarity's life fell into the mundane. He took on a separate identity, but then is gradually drawn into a mystery with the shadow of Holmes lingering in the back of his mind.
Why I like it:The art may be a put-off to some people but I enjoy the grittiness of it. I love how wordy this book is because I hate it when I read a book and am done within like 5-10 minutes. It is definitely hitting all the right notes for me in terms of being a period work but also introducing mystery and sci-fi elements without going too far on the latter. I've had a thing for Sherlock Holmes since watching Basil Rathbone movies and there's some nice moments where Moriarity is drawing Holmes-like conclusions about, say, the author of a letter based on several simple facets.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: I think the current issue is 8, I've started at the beginning.

Seriously, if you like Ruse or anything like the typical Holmes Victorian mystery stuff this is shaping up to be a really good read. I'm excited and hopeful for where this is going.

Moved this below to help clean up the OP.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

bairfanx posted:

And this was a guy who said that he'll be taking a while on issues because he has a real job to be doing too.
Also, he seems pretty committed in getting it made into film straight off.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I just got this recommendation, but if you want some light hearted fantasy comics, check out Skullkickers. It's new and Image and it's very classic Fantasy setting with a very tongue-in-cheek writing.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Speaking of fantasy comics, this one isn't bad.

Title: Dungeons & Dragons
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description: John Rogers (Blue Beetle, Leverage, Jackie Chan Adventures) writes a monthly tale about a party of adventurers in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. There's no need to be familiar with mechanics or editions or anything, it's just a group of fantasy adventurers having fantasy adventures in a world full of magic and monsters.
Why I Like It: It's a fun series, with interesting characters, locales and adventures. John Rogers' usual witty banter works really well since it captures the back and forth character banter you'd get from a some of the best adventuring parties. It's an enjoyable read all around.
Issue That Is A Good Jumping On Point: The first two trade paperbacks are a good start, the third comes out in April and collects up to the most recent issue. All the individual issues can be bought on Comxiology as well.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 10, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Title:: Orc Stain

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Haha that's a funny story. You can't find back issues of it and the TPB is apparently out of print already and is going for like 40 bucks on amazon for a used copy.

Amazon UK are saying they still have copies in stock, I ordered one earlier today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

And if you decide to buy them digitally why not pick up Nonplayer #1 while you're at it?

Title:: Nonplayer
Brief description: In the near-ish future a girl with a dead end job who still lives with her mom gets drawn into a deep web of conspiracy concerning the online video game she spends all her free time playing
Why I like it: The art, mostly. I mean it's a good sci-fi story but you'll pick it up to look at the pictures. It got a thumbs up from Geoff Darrow, Frank Quitely, and Moebius which really does count for something if comic book art means anything to you.

Haha whatever happened to this? The first issue was good!

Also, I second whoever mentioned on the first page including creative teams.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
I had a whole post done up for RASL but then my loving browser decided to dump the tab with the whole post into the aether so if someone else wants to do it proper, go for it or I'll try and do it when it's not past my bedtime.

Also, to everyone who recommended Orc Stain, thanks. It is amazing!

arinlome
Feb 13, 2012
Title: Locke & Key
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Let's try this again:

Title: RASL
Publisher: Cartoon Books
Brief Description: Jeff Smith, of Bone fame, weaves a complex tale of love, death, parallel dimensions, government conspiracies and a heaping helping Nikola Tesla mixed in. Wiki describes it thusly: The series follows the art thief RASL, who jumps to parallel universes in attempts to steal parallel paintings, but soon runs into dangerous scenarios as he is pursued by the government.
Why I Like It: Jeff Smith proved himself a master storyteller with Bone and he continues to create master-class stories with RASL. He keeps just enough of the mystery hidden while revealing enough hints and backstory to keep you from getting frustrated. The art, despite being sparse and black-and-white, is dynamic and powerful. It's one of my favorite books running.
Good jumping on point: Despite running since 2008, RASL is only on issue twelve, due to being published quarterly. Smith has stated that the series will be ending this year or early next year with issue 15 or 16. I highly recommend starting from the beginning, as it's hyper-serialized and is really one big story. So far there have been three 10x12 oversized TPBs collecting 1-11 and a Digest Sized "pocket edition" collecting 1-7.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Title: Severed

Brief Description: Severed is a historical horror story, set in 1916, by Scott Snyder, Scott Tuft and Attila Futaki. The book follows a 12-year-old boy named Jack on his search for his biological father which leads him to cross paths with a serial killer (there is more to this but I don't want to give it all away).

Why I like it: Great writing, great characterization and creepy as hell. The art does a really good job of conveying the historical aspect, but during the creepier/horror parts it becomes downright amazing. The writers were aiming to emulate "classic" horror stories like The Shining and The Exorcist and they definitely succeed: The story is very character driven, atmospheric and tense without going for shock value or excessive gore. That said, it is kind of a slow burn so it's probably not for everyone but the buildup is definitely worth it.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's a seven-issue mini that just wrapped up this month and the first issue is free on comixology! The rest are 2$. If you're a fan of old-school horror or Scott Snyder or both I would definitely recommend reading this book (Actually read it anyways). I'm sure a TPB is on the way as well but hasn't been announced yet.

E: In case it wasn't clear - start at issue #1

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 14, 2012

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darth Nat posted:

I read all of BPRD in rapid succession over about a week one time. Once you get started, it's really hard to stop. I'm a little disappointed to hear that the hardcovers won't collect 1946/1947 though. I think 1946 is one of my favorite BPRD stories, and Varvara is one of my favorite characters.

These hardcovers are nice and the price point is good, but I was really hoping for Library Editions of BPRD like we get for Hellboy. Does anyone know if that's in the cards eventually?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

DeimosRising posted:

These hardcovers are nice and the price point is good, but I was really hoping for Library Editions of BPRD like we get for Hellboy. Does anyone know if that's in the cards eventually?

I'd be really surprised. Maybe if it became a hit TV show.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

DeimosRising posted:

I love the Library Editions, but I almost prefer the BPRD hardcovers just because you get three regular tpbs for a pretty low price as opposed to just two in an oversized format, which I can take or leave.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darth Nat posted:

I love the Library Editions, but I almost prefer the BPRD hardcovers just because you get three regular tpbs for a pretty low price as opposed to just two in an oversized format, which I can take or leave.

Hm, I guess I just feel that Mignola's art looks great at the increased size (and if anything it did even more for Corben in the most recent LE) and suspect the same would go for Davis. Oh well I'll probably buy all of these, then when LEs come out in 5 years I'll get those too and they can get donated like my softcovers all did.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Inspired by me seeing Chronicle here's something probably not a lot of people have read.

Title:: A God Somewhere
Publisher: Wildstorm

Brief description: Another comic that dares ask the question: "What if Superman was a psychopath" as told from the perspective of the Superman stand-in's best friend. The kicker being that there aren't any other superpowered people on earth.

Why I like it: There are a lot of comics about Superman turning evil. To say it's fairly well trod ground is something of an understatement. The Sentry, Squadron Supreme, Irredeemable, The Boys, more than a few Elseworlds I'm sure, and the list goes on and on. What makes A God Somewhere stand out in that vast sea of media is how it presents the story, watching "Superman's" rise and fall from perspective of his best friend. Watching as the very human feelings of greed, anger, loneliness, and frustration warp this incredibly powerful person's mind until he's almost an animal is heartbreaking.

As far as the art goes, Peter Snejbjerg does a commendable job. The book is incredibly violent, even by crazy superman story standards. When he throws a tank though a building, you see all the broken bodies of the innocent people caught in the crossfire between a god and the desperate soldiers and police tasked with trying to stop the unstoppable.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's all self contained and in a trade. Just get it off amazon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Title:: A God Somewhere
Publisher: Wildstorm
I just saw that for the first time at a used book store last week, and almost bought it, but didn't because I knew nothing about it--now I think I'll grab it next time I'm there. Thanks, Mr. Bird!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Doesn't anyone ever read any weird comics? It's not like you have to type out an essay.

Title:: Water Baby
Publisher: Minx

Brief description: After losing her leg in a Shark Attack, surfer girl Brody, her friend Louisa, and her awful ex-Boyfriend Jake go on a road trip up the east coast.

Why I like it: For those who don't remember, Minx was going to be DC's "for girls" imprint that was a total failure basically right out of the gate. Despite some really good talent behind the books and a brief media blitz they were pretty much all met with total apathy.

That said, Water Baby is a weird and kind of frustrating comic in a lot of ways. The story kind of wanders around without much of an arc or driving force. There's not really a climax or even much of a conclusion, it just feels like we're peeking in on these characters' lives for a little bit. And they are interesting characters. You can feel Brody's frustration and anger at being in such a lovely situation but what really sticks with you is her terrible and deep fear that comes out in the weirdly graphic dream sequences that happen from time to time.

It's probably not for everyone, but it never really was supposed to be.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: All self contained in a trade.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I became aware of Ross Campbell thanks to Glory, and I've been kind of interested in exploring his other work. I really enjoy how he actually draws female characters with more body types than "supermodel" and "perfect male fantasy." Is any of his creator-owned stuff worth checking out?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I bought the first Adventure Time issue from Kaboom yesterday on a whim and it was pretty great. I've only seen a few episodes but the tiny elephant that is my favorite character had a whole back-up that was awesome.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

I became aware of Ross Campbell thanks to Glory, and I've been kind of interested in exploring his other work. I really enjoy how he actually draws female characters with more body types than "supermodel" and "perfect male fantasy." Is any of his creator-owned stuff worth checking out?

Water Baby was mentioned the post before yours. I also liked Glory and am interested to hear if anyone has read Wet Moon from Campbell.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

InnercityGriot posted:

Water Baby was mentioned the post before yours. I also liked Glory and am interested to hear if anyone has read Wet Moon from Campbell.

I haven't read Wet Moon, but I've got a few friends who love it.

For anyone not swayed by the conversation here, we reviewed Glory over at Comics Bulletin.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

Title: American Vampire
Publisher: Vertigo
Brief description/Why I like it: I like to call this the anti-Twilight for good reason. This is an old-school violent vampire story; the vampires here are viscous killers who'll rip your head off and drink the blood down the stump. The first five episodes were co-written by Stephen King and explains the main premise: how vampires have existed in the world for centuries and sometime during The Old West, bank robber Skinner Sweet is exposed to vampire blood and becomes a new species of vampire: the American vampire. Immune to sunlight, the species is vulnerable only to gold and nights of the new moon, and when violent grows huge claws and rattle-snake fangs. The rest of the series is essentially an exceptionally good historical fiction, featuring characters as flapper girl-turned American vampire Pearl Jones and her human lover and former marine Henry Preston, Vegas PD detective Cashell McCogan, and the vampire hunting organization the Vassals of the Morning Star. Read this series now, as it's nothing less than a modern-day uniquely American epic.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Pick up volume 3. For $25 you get a one-shot explaining Skinner Sweet's character, the Ghost War arc taking place during the Pacific Campaign featuring Japanese vampires and the Survival of the Fittest arc featuring a predictable but never the less awesome Nazi vampires arc. The whole volume features all of the aforementioned characters and factions as well, so it's a very good place to start.

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 26, 2012

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

arinlome posted:

Title: Locke & Key
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.

Rodriguez was a terrible choice though, he doesn't suit it at all.

e: To expand on this, he's a fine storyteller but the cartooniness and clean inks don't jibe well with the horror beats. Fotos does a fine job with the colours though.

LCQC fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 22, 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I haven't read Wet Moon, but I've got a few friends who love it.

For anyone not swayed by the conversation here, we reviewed Glory over at Comics Bulletin.

I'm really surprised we don't have more chatter over the book here. I loved it, but I was weirded out by the puffy babyfaces every now and again. Outside of the that, I love the art and the story did not go in the direction I thought it would. Both Glory and Prophet have really hit it out of the park.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Image is really killing poo poo. I'd like to write a post for both Glory and Prophet but I want to give them a few more issues to see if they hold up and don't make me look like an idiot in case they go bad.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

Darth Nat posted:

I haven't had time to read it yet, but his webcomic Shadoweyes looks pretty good.

Additionally, his zombie apocalypse comic, The Abandoned, was well-done, but incredibly bleak and dour. It featured a zombie virus that was actually airborne, meaning that the entire book was spent watching characters you liked, suddenly get sick and die.

And that's when they weren't being devoured by zombies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

InnercityGriot posted:

Image is really killing poo poo. I'd like to write a post for both Glory and Prophet but I want to give them a few more issues to see if they hold up and don't make me look like an idiot in case they go bad.

I tradewait everything, but I don't remember the last time I was this hype for a new series, let alone two, to be collected. Probably Criminal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kinda surprised nobody's claimed this one yet...

Title: Fatale
Brief description: Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, team behind the excellent series Sleeper, Criminal and Incognito have another probing examination of pulp genre fiction up their sleeves. This time they're turning their eyes towards the horror fiction of guys like H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard in a story that spans fifty years. I'll refrain from saying more, both because the story's just getting started and because Brubaker himself has said: "If you're already planning to get Fatale, please don't read the reviews or interviews. It's best if you encounter it blind."
Why I like it: Well, it's Brubaker and Phillips. Everything these guys have teamed up on has been gold. So far, this one is proving maybe the best showcase yet for Phillips artwork, combining his great and proven talent for depicting noir settings (the multiple time periods depicted here give him a great chance to show off) with his equal talent for creepy horror (as he demonstrated on books like Hellblazer and The Invisibles). I mean, just look at that cover. It's one of the most attention-grabbing covers to a comic I've seen in years, and it just captures the feel of the book completely. The book's just getting warmed up, so Brubaker's still in the slowly-teasing-out-details phase, but it's already shaping up to be a great ride.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Only two issues have been published so far, and both have gone back for multiple printings, so it should be easy to get caught up. Plus, as with Criminal and Incognito, this is a book that's really worth getting in single issue form instead of waiting for the trades, since with the single issues you get some great backmatter essays/illustrations about pulp history.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know how to feel about Fatale. I want to like it, but the story is so opaque right now that I feel like I can't accurately judge anything.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Like I said, it's definitely still at the point where I have very little idea of what's going on, but it's engaging and weird enough that I'm dying to find out.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I just learned that there's a new Jason out that I haven't read :
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/athos-in-america-dec.-2011-2.html!

So i guess :

Title : (var)
Author : Jason
Publisher : Fantagraphics
Why I like it : It's clever and witty and low-key, just a nice smooth comics-reading experience.

Good Jumping On Point Just read any of them, jesus, it's not a series or anything. My favorites are The Last Musketeer and The Iron Wagon. (I could have sworn he did a 39 Steps adaptation but I must be confusing him with someone else)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

And hell let's do this:

Title: Frank
Author : Jim Woodring
Publisher : Fantagraphics
Why I like it : HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS ART.

LOOK AT IT
http://i.imgur.com/Rc9X3.jpg
ARE YOU LOOKING AT IT I DEMAND THAT YOU LOOK AT IT

Good Jumping On Point : You can't go wrong with the Frank Omnibus : http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Book-Jim-Woodring/dp/1606995006/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

fritz posted:

Good Jumping On Point Just read any of them, jesus, it's not a series or anything. My favorites are The Last Musketeer and The Iron Wagon. (I could have sworn he did a 39 Steps adaptation but I must be confusing him with someone else)

My favorite Jason has to be Why Are you Doing this?

It's his take on the Hitchcockian suspense story about a man who witnesses a murder and is soon drawn into a conspiracy. It's got all the classic Jason ticks- the excellent (if sometimes bizarre dialogue), the slow burning character building, and the very subtle anthropomorphic art. Really worth a read if you enjoy Jason or old Hitchcock movies it's certainly worth a shot.