Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Ooh yeah, reprint of Orc Stain V.1 coming out soon. This will make up for the lack of Stokoe while Godzilla and Sullivan's Sluggers come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Shageletic posted:

So Brian K Vaughn's Saga pretty much blew my tits off. What a fantastic start to something pretty different.

Benny the Snake posted:

Saga is drat well the best new series of 2012.

Yeah, I can't agree with this enough. I mean, I was down the minute I heard Brian K Vaughn but I didn't expect it to grab my attention the way it did before the end of the first issue no less.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

You mean something like this?

You mean the one that was linked just 3 posts above yours? :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

You mean the one that was linked just 3 posts above yours? :)

Apparently yeah. Totally missed that link. :downs:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.
As of like a year ago Kickstarter could be considered the third biggest comics publisher in America and that was long before the Order of the Stick drive. The surge if under way. As soon as somebody comes up with a portable digital comics format then things will get real interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kickstarter took off by indie musicians and artists who needed a little financial push to start off so this isn't surprising. Now that Double Fine has tossed them into the mainstream I've been seeing good project after project left and right.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Title: Pluto

Publisher: Viz Media

Brief description: Naoki Urasawa does Osamu Tezuka.

Why I like it: Pluto is a lot of things. A murder mystery, a Pinocchio story, a serious/dark Astro Boy story that manages to be completely optimistic and sincere, a love letter to the past without being self indulgent. Basically Pluto is as close to a perfect book that you can get. Every page is gorgeous to look at, the story constantly twists with interesting revelations and it's full of heart.

How can I buy/read it/catch up?: It's a complete story! It comes in 8 collections shown above which can be found for pretty cheap.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Title: Pluto

Publisher: Viz Media

Brief description: Naoki Urasawa does Osamu Tezuka.

Why I like it: Pluto is a lot of things. A murder mystery, a Pinocchio story, a serious/dark Astro Boy story that manages to be completely optimistic and sincere, a love letter to the past without being self indulgent. Basically Pluto is as close to a perfect book that you can get. Every page is gorgeous to look at, the story constantly twists with interesting revelations and it's full of heart.

How can I buy/read it/catch up?: It's a complete story! It comes in 8 collections shown above which can be found for pretty cheap.

Pluto is what got me reading manga again after a long lapse. It's one of the best things I have ever read and I can't praise it enough. This comparison to All Star Superman is also pretty spot-on.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.

We are IN a surge of new creator owned content, and have been for years. Look at the web comics, look at all the indie cons like SPX / MOCCA / TCAF / etcetcetc. This is a loving golden age of creator-owned comics. But yeah, kickstarter is catalyzing the gently caress out of things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I still have no loving idea what is going on in Prophet, but it just keeps getting better.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Soonmot posted:

I still have no loving idea what is going on in Prophet, but it just keeps getting better.

After I read this week's issue, ComiXology tweeted a summary of the plot and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Like it was a different comic or something.

It's maybe my favorite book right now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Irredeemable ended this week and I'm not sure if the ending should make me think, "That's cute," or, "Hahaha, really?"

For those curious, Qubit blackmails/tricks Plutonian into saving the world in a process that causes Plutonian to die and revert back into his original energy form. Qubit says he doesn't blame Plutonian for all the terror he's caused, since it's the fault of the insane woman who wished him into existence all those years ago and passed her issues onto him. Qubit had promised him that he'd get to redeem himself through a new life, but not in the way he expects. He opens a series of portals to hundreds of thousands of dimensions and splits up Plutonian's energy self, hoping that somewhere out there, someone will be able to fulfill Plutonian's true potential and get it right.

In another universe, a Jewish boy busts into his friend's house and excitedly tells him that he's gotten the inspiration for their funny books idea. The last panel shows a rough outline sketch of Superman with the nearby notebooks revealing that it's Siegel and Shuster.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Gavok posted:

Irredeemable ended this week and I'm not sure if the ending should make me think, "That's cute," or, "Hahaha, really?"

I want to cast my vote for "Hahaha, really?". I was so stoked on Irredeemable for the first twenty-something issues, but by the time they introduced the parents I was pretty over it, and when the triplet showed up I was only staying on because I knew it was ending relatively soon. The series had so much promise, and I'm not sure if it just went on too long or Waid took it in the wrong direction. For awhile it was absolutely incredible though, and while I was hoping the end would somehow redeem it :rimshot:, unfortunately IMO it almost made the series into a joke. And not a particularly interesting one at that.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Gavok posted:

For those curious, Qubit blackmails/tricks Plutonian into saving the world in a process that causes Plutonian to die and revert back into his original energy form. Qubit says he doesn't blame Plutonian for all the terror he's caused, since it's the fault of the insane woman who wished him into existence all those years ago and passed her issues onto him. Qubit had promised him that he'd get to redeem himself through a new life, but not in the way he expects. He opens a series of portals to hundreds of thousands of dimensions and splits up Plutonian's energy self, hoping that somewhere out there, someone will be able to fulfill Plutonian's true potential and get it right.

In another universe, a Jewish boy busts into his friend's house and excitedly tells him that he's gotten the inspiration for their funny books idea. The last panel shows a rough outline sketch of Superman with the nearby notebooks revealing that it's Siegel and Shuster.

I generally like Waid, but I could only hang onto this series for a few trades (it didn't help that they were pretty expensive trades either). The ending sounds like a weak imitation of what was done in All Star Superman, which really isn't like Waid.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Just picked it up. It was my intro to the series...and holy hell. What have I gotten myself into? This stuff is amazing.

EDIT: It's like the deep, disorienting sci-fi you'd see in the 60s and 70s. Almost Herbert-esque.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Just picked it up. It was my intro to the series...and holy hell. What have I gotten myself into? This stuff is amazing.

EDIT: It's like the deep, disorienting sci-fi you'd see in the 60s and 70s. Almost Herbert-esque.

Something magical. There's no way to really explain this barrage of crazy sci-fi concepts being blasted at you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Something magical. There's no way to really explain this barrage of crazy sci-fi concepts being blasted at you.

Isn't this a character originally created by Liefeld?!!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Isn't this a character originally created by Liefeld?!!

So is Glory, which also just received a really interesting makeover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

petewhitley posted:

I want to cast my vote for "Hahaha, really?". I was so stoked on Irredeemable for the first twenty-something issues, but by the time they introduced the parents I was pretty over it, and when the triplet showed up I was only staying on because I knew it was ending relatively soon. The series had so much promise, and I'm not sure if it just went on too long or Waid took it in the wrong direction. For awhile it was absolutely incredible though, and while I was hoping the end would somehow redeem it :rimshot:, unfortunately IMO it almost made the series into a joke. And not a particularly interesting one at that.

I really think the series should have ended like 10 issues in. Qubit constantly giving Plutonian another chance was loving ridiculous no matter how hard Waid tried to justify it through characterization, and I really only saw it as Waid wanting to extend the series past its logical ending point because he liked the setting/characters so much. Overall it's a series that came out of the gates swinging and ended up sort of rolling around in a corner for the last 2/3rds of it.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I guess Incorruptible is ending as well (or has ended already?). How did that hold up? I was enjoying it more than Irredeemable, but I ended up dropping them both a while ago due to budgeting.

I'm also really loving Prophet. Haven't got to read the latest issue yet, but everything else has been amazing sci-fi craziness.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madrox posted:

I guess Incorruptible is ending as well (or has ended already?). How did that hold up? I was enjoying it more than Irredeemable, but I ended up dropping them both a while ago due to budgeting.

I'm also really loving Prophet. Haven't got to read the latest issue yet, but everything else has been amazing sci-fi craziness.

Incorruptible has one issue left. For the most part, it's been pretty good and is at the very least head and shoulders above Irredeemable due to having a better main character, a better supporting cast and less issues so that it doesn't feel like it's being stretched out for the sake of telling more story. Max was finally embraced by the public around the time Waid announced the series is ending, so the remainder is him dealing with this while his own character flaws -- as well as the flaws of the public -- begin to get under his skin.

The biggest problem with it right now is that despite being in a shared universe, Incorruptible always felt like its own story. This final arc feels like the last few issues of Irredeemable are a weak event story and Incorruptible is an event tie-in.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
The final page of the latest issue of Glory is beautiful. This book seems like it's about to get crazy.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Prophet has been awesome despite knowing nothing of the character or reading anything he's ever been in. Is Glory similarly awesome even if I've never read anything with her or know anything about her?

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
I never read any of the original Glory, and I feel the current revamp has a decent pacing that is building up to some pretty epic shifts and character moments, and the art is great. Glory is this humongous woman that is drawn like a dynamic brick shithouse as convincingly as possible. This last issue just ended on a pretty awesome "oohh poo poo, it's on" moment, and we have had glimpses of the future in the book, so I'm pretty pumped to see it unfold.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I haven't read any of the old Glory stuff either and I enjoy the new book. The first issue is basically a primer on who Glory is and a brief recap of her history. The first two issues are kind of slow, but #25 is where things get crazy. I enjoy that they're getting right to this big epic battle, since the popular thing in most comics would be to draw it out as long as possible.

I read it mostly for the art, but it's a really love it or hate it style, it seems like. Glory is basically "what if Wonder Woman had a child with a panzer tank."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Darth Nat posted:

I read it mostly for the art, but it's a really love it or hate it style, it seems like. Glory is basically "what if Wonder Woman had a child with a panzer tank."

I'm curious. Can you post a panel or two?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Here's the artist's deviantart page for his Glory art, which I think gives a pretty good idea of what the character and art is like.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Darth Nat posted:

Here's the artist's deviantart page for his Glory art, which I think gives a pretty good idea of what the character and art is like.

I really love Ross Campbell's style. The guy knows how to draw women in ways that aren't objectifying/physically impossible. It's a bit sad that saying that is a form of praise, but he really does do a pretty great job. I do get the feeling that he rushes through some panels, as they feel a bit sloppier than some of his pages, but he really delivers on almost every action scene Glory's in.

And yeah, Prophet, easily one of my favorite comcis. I only wish this issue continued Dalrymple's story (looks like they didn't even have time to prep a different cover for it :smith:)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

And yeah, Prophet, easily one of my favorite comcis. I only wish this issue continued Dalrymple's story (looks like they didn't even have time to prep a different cover for it :smith:)

Could you elucidate more on this? What do you mean?

Prophet gives me hope in comics. If something as lovely as a pooped out Liefeld creation can be made this original and awesome, there's hope in this medium just yet.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shageletic posted:

Could you elucidate more on this? What do you mean?

Prophet gives me hope in comics. If something as lovely as a pooped out Liefeld creation can be made this original and awesome, there's hope in this medium just yet.

Did you read the previous issue? It was a different artist and I didn't think it was a finished story (I guess that ending could have been an ending, but it felt like a cliffhanger). The cover art of this week's issue had Prophet in his falling star suit that he had in the previous one, which makes me think it was intended for the continuation of Dalrymple's arc.

It's possible that I'm wrong, and I'm not about to complain about the book, but it felt like there was a delay on Dalrymple's conclusion (also, the issue was apparently solicited as Simon Roy, which seems strange, as he shouldn't be back for a while).

If you're liking Prophet, you've read King City, right? I mean, they aren't really similar at all, but it's Brandon Graham's big thing before Prophet.

He's also up for an Eisner for his short story "The Speaker" from DHP #9(? I think it was #9).

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
People keep asking if you need to know anything about the original Prophet or Glory to read the new comics, and really you don't. Prophet was originally like Captain America, a superhuman from the 1940s revived in the present, and the only direct reference in the new series I've seen is that in the third issue there's a skeleton wearing the original Prophet's costume, though I don't know if that's a plot point or just an in-joke. Maybe the new Prophets are his clones, but they haven't explained it. Glory was like Wonder Woman, except her father was some sort of demon and she'd been in a relationship with Supreme. Alan Moore basically rebooted Glory already in the 1990s, but only a few issues were published.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Supreme has been restarted too. They finally printed Alan Moore's long-lost last issue, and then the next issue brings back the original Supreme from the early 1990s, who depowers and/or kills of all of Moore's characters. I think I would've preferred for the series to be rebooted with little to no connection to the past, like the others.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I haven't read Supreme or really checked it out, but I think the reason it doesn't get talked about as much is that it doesn't seem like a radical reinvention like Prophet or Glory. Those books have unusual creative teams doing unusual things with some old, forgotten superhero properties. Just superficially, that doesn't seem to be the case with the new Supreme. And since I don't have any experience with Supreme, I don't really care to read about the return of the original, dickish Supreme.

I could be completely wrong about it, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Did you read the previous issue? It was a different artist and I didn't think it was a finished story (I guess that ending could have been an ending, but it felt like a cliffhanger). The cover art of this week's issue had Prophet in his falling star suit that he had in the previous one, which makes me think it was intended for the continuation of Dalrymple's arc.

It's possible that I'm wrong, and I'm not about to complain about the book, but it felt like there was a delay on Dalrymple's conclusion (also, the issue was apparently solicited as Simon Roy, which seems strange, as he shouldn't be back for a while).

If you're liking Prophet, you've read King City, right? I mean, they aren't really similar at all, but it's Brandon Graham's big thing before Prophet.

He's also up for an Eisner for his short story "The Speaker" from DHP #9(? I think it was #9).

This was my first issue. Thanks for the future reading!

EDIT: VVV Will do.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 25, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shageletic posted:

This was my first issue. Thanks for the future reading!

Oh, that makes sense then!

Go back and read the previous 4, they're really great! If you like the art in the issue you've read, check out Old City Blues. It's got a strange cyberpunk/Akira feel to it, and at $15 for the hardcover, it's a steal.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Action Jacktion posted:

Alan Moore basically rebooted Glory already in the 1990s, but only a few issues were published.
Really? Oh goody, more new old stock Moore to track down! :dance:

quote:

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Supreme has been restarted too. They finally printed Alan Moore's long-lost last issue,
Do you mean the last issue that was published way back then (the Jack Kirby tribute), or the storyline that was under way when the title was cancelled (the Supremacy vs. Daxia götterdammerung)? If the former, great, it'll be nice to see again. If the latter...well, I'm not terribly fond of that kind of cast of thousands all bashing each other story, so it depends on how much awesome Moore-ness there is versus how much not-so-Awesome Comics-ness.

quote:

and then the next issue brings back the original Supreme from the early 1990s, who depowers and/or kills of all of Moore's characters. I think I would've preferred for the series to be rebooted with little to no connection to the past, like the others.
My gut reaction is "How crass!" On further reflection, since Moore's added characters were part and parcel of his extended hommage to Silver Age Superman zaniness, I guess it makes sense that a new team taking the character in a new direction would discard the artifacts of the old regime. Mind, I didn't give a crap about Supreme before Moore worked his pagan magicks on it, and I'm unlikely to give a crap about it now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Do you mean the last issue that was published way back then (the Jack Kirby tribute), or the storyline that was under way when the title was cancelled (the Supremacy vs. Daxia götterdammerung)? If the former, great, it'll be nice to see again. If the latter...well, I'm not terribly fond of that kind of cast of thousands all bashing each other story, so it depends on how much awesome Moore-ness there is versus how much not-so-Awesome Comics-ness.
My gut reaction is "How crass!" On further reflection, since Moore's added characters were part and parcel of his extended hommage to Silver Age Superman zaniness, I guess it makes sense that a new team taking the character in a new direction would discard the artifacts of the old regime. Mind, I didn't give a crap about Supreme before Moore worked his pagan magicks on it, and I'm unlikely to give a crap about it now.

I flipped through the Supreme at the store when it came out because, hey, Alan Moore! Nothing about it grabbed me and I put it back.

However, I was happy with Bloodstrike. It's more of a traditional superhero book than either Glory or Prophet, but has some silly, off the wall sci-fi concepts. It's about a team of mercenaries that are all resurrected/cannot die being deployed against other undead threats.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35891

This was the preview that prompted me to pick the book. Again, it's nowhere near as experimental as Glory/Prohpet, but the one issue I read was really solid fun.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Extreme/Maximum/Awesome only did a #0 issue of Glory, and they printed Moore's proposal for the series in a comic called the Awesome Universe Handbook. Then a couple of years later Avatar somehow printed two more issues, #1-2. I don't think any of them are particularly hard to find. I don't know how much more Moore wrote that went unpublished. A lot of his ideas for Glory went to Promethea.

quote:

Do you mean the last issue that was published way back then (the Jack Kirby tribute), or the storyline that was under way when the title was cancelled (the Supremacy vs. Daxia götterdammerung)?
The second one, though the issue ends before the big fight starts. Unfortunately, Moore's last issue ends on a cliffhanger, and it's follwed up by the Erik Larsen-written issue I described above. I don't know how Moore ended his whole run on a cliffhanger, but that's what happened.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 25, 2012

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hardcore is pretty loving awesome just so everyone knows.

It's by Kirkman, who has a very similar name and I read it a week ago, and it's about a guy who assassinates people by remotely taking over the body of someone near them. And it's pretty drat cool.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 26, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Hardcore is pretty loving awesome just so everyone knows.

It's by Hickman, who is currently in the middle of the greatest Fantastic Four run ever, and it's about a guy who assassinates people by remotely taking over the body of someone near them. And it's pretty drat cool.

It's by Robert Kirkman. And it's just alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

bairfanx posted:

I generally like Waid, but I could only hang onto this series for a few trades (it didn't help that they were pretty expensive trades either). The ending sounds like a weak imitation of what was done in All Star Superman, which really isn't like Waid.
I really thought "Grant Morrison's going to be loving pissed" at the end of Irredeemable, but then again he did shrug off The Invisibles/Matrix thing.