Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Knight posted:

I really thought "Grant Morrison's going to be loving pissed" at the end of Irredeemable, but then again he did shrug off The Invisibles/Matrix thing.

I doubt it, considering that Waid is the biggest Superman fan in the world and he wrote the intro to one of the collections, perfectly stating why Superman is so great (gods have power because we believe in them, Superman has power because he believes in us).

It just felt a little cheap, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Action Jacktion posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Supreme has been restarted too. They finally printed Alan Moore's long-lost last issue, and then the next issue brings back the original Supreme from the early 1990s, who depowers and/or kills of all of Moore's characters. I think I would've preferred for the series to be rebooted with little to no connection to the past, like the others.

I dunno. I think they should have just did what they did for Glory and Prophet: hired someone who doesn't suck and let them do whatever they want. Trying to ride the coattails and success of Alan Moore and also trying to escape his influence is insane. Pick one. And here's a hint, nobody wanted to read 90's Superman in the 90's if you think the indie comics crowd of today is going to touch that... bahahahaha. Eric Larsen, I could pinch your cheeks.

But whatever. At least they're accidentally publishing two good comics.

Unbelievably Fat Man fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

Hardcore is pretty loving awesome just so everyone knows.

It's by Kirkman, who has a very similar name and I read it a week ago, and it's about a guy who assassinates people by remotely taking over the body of someone near them. And it's pretty drat cool.

If it's like every other Robert Kirkman book it has characters that sound exactly alike, a cool-ish idea, and terrible execution.

Whatever happened to that book with Macfarlane? The one with the guy that looked like he shot jizz out of his hands?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dickeye posted:

If it's like every other Robert Kirkman book it has characters that sound exactly alike, a cool-ish idea, and terrible execution.

Whatever happened to that book with Macfarlane? The one with the guy that looked like he shot jizz out of his hands?

Creative differences.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Dickeye posted:

It's now being made by Joe Casey and Nathan Fox. Kirkman and Liefeld's "The Infinite" is the book that ended over creative differences.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Glum posted:

It's now being made by Joe Casey and Nathan Fox. Kirkman and Liefeld's "The Infinite" is the book that ended over creative differences.

Can't be worse than the shitstack it was originally.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Dickeye posted:

Can't be worse than the shitstack it was originally.

I've actually been hearing really great things since Casey took over, which, really, is unsurprising.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bairfanx posted:

I've actually been hearing really great things since Casey took over, which, really, is unsurprising.

Huh. Might check it out.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Saga reminds me somewhat of a webcomic I read 5 years ago. It also features a character with a tv head. The main character is a little guy with just a head and a body. Does anyone remember the name of that webcomic? I can't seem to Google it up.

E: I found it and it is called rice boy. Am I alone in seeing the rice boy influence in Saga?

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 30, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Office Sheep posted:

Am I alone in seeing the rice boy influence in Saga?

Fairly sure you are since they are pretty different. Saying they are similar because of the TV heads is like saying Gunnerkrigg Court is similar to X-Men just because most of the action happens in a school.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Fairly sure you are since they are pretty different. Saying they are similar because of the TV heads is like saying Gunnerkrigg Court is similar to X-Men just because most of the action happens in a school.

You might be right. I probably am seeing a connection where there is none because of the TV heads and the unique fantasy setting.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Title: RAGEMOOR

Publisher: Dark Horse

Brief description: Castle Ragemoor stands overlooking the coast, its walls concealing a dark secret. The castle was born three centuries before Christ, its foundations formed from thousands of pagan sacrifices. For those who have made the castle their home, it becomes a prison. For most, it becomes their tomb.

Why I like it: Richard Corben's art really makes this series. Ragemoor looks like it's knitted together from bones and flesh, an organic and very very evil building that hides countless horrors. If you're a fan of Lovecraft or Poe or horror comics or cool art, it's worth checking out.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 2 came out today and issue 1 is probably going to awful to find in print but Dark Horse digital has it.

Just finished catching up on the three issues of this and it's really, really great. Corben naturally does great horror art but the story itself manages to stand up as a good lovecraftian tale without coming off as horribly derivative.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have a mixed opinion on Ragemoor's art. The human characters are grotesque and "runny" like wax dummies melting under a fire. It reminds me of that horrible webcomic Goblins except competently done. It's effective and definitely creepy but it's more grotesque than anything. It's hard to explain because I really haven't seen art in a comic that has turned me off while still fitting perfectly. Even Basil Wolverton's grotesque characters had a cartoony nature you could relate to.

It's like the polar opposite of Beasts of Burden which is incredibly cute 50% of the time and scary as hell the other 50%.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Richard Corben tends to have that effect on people. He totally knows what he is doing, however, since he's been drawing comics for approximately forever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that I think about it, Corben's stuff reminds me of Errol Otus, a fantasy artist. He drew some of my favorite monsters because his work actually looks alien and weird.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'd like to say after digging through all of the issues and reading them Locke and Key has to be one of my favorite series right now, people just pick it up the finally volume I believe starts in June. Very impressive big thanks to whoever recommended it.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Title:: Star Trek The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2
Publisher: IDW
Brief description: It's finally happened. The two most iconic sci-fi series in the history of television are meeting. The Cybermen and the Borg have teamed up and its up to the crews of the USS Enterprise and the TARDIS to stop them.
Why I like it: It's only had one issue so far and it's...alright. The concept's cool enough for me to stay with it though.

Start at Issue #1 I guess.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How's the Valiant Reboot so far? I'm not dropping in 'till Bloodshot hits the shelves.

Also, Dynamite's publishing a Pathfinder RPG series. Any chance this'll be worth a look?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benny the Snake posted:

How's the Valiant Reboot so far? I'm not dropping in 'till Bloodshot hits the shelves.

Also, Dynamite's publishing a Pathfinder RPG series. Any chance this'll be worth a look?

That entirely depends on how you feel about Pathfinder's design philosophies, which is to say, Dungeons and Dragons 3.5's design philosophies. Their production values are certainly going to be fine.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Harbinger seems to be about superhumans on the run from some evil authority figures while tring to find a haven run by other superhumans, and of course that's been done to death, but I thought it was pretty well done. Hopefully there'll be more to it, but the first issue was good enough that I'll buy the second, at least.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There's a thread for the Valiant relaunch that goes in to some depth on each of the series if you're thinking of picking them up.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Waterhaul posted:

There's a thread for the Valiant relaunch that goes in to some depth on each of the series if you're thinking of picking them up.
Yeah, the thread's not showing.
Edit: found it. Thanks.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 9, 2012

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
So Sullivans Sluggers kickstarter from Mark Andrew Smith and James Stokoe is now updated with stretch goals, and the first goal which is $900 dollars off of is to

quote:

The next Unlock is a big one. When we reach the 65,000 level we're going to print the book in OMNIBUS SIZE at Dimensions: 12.6 x 8.6. Like the giant 'Walking Dead' and 'Girls' Hardcovers you've seen on the shelves.
. I was waiting until the final hours to donate and now I'm even more excited.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C'mon, $900! If there's anyone's art that doesn't deserve to be stuck on tiny cramped pages it's Stokoe's.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

C'mon, $900! If there's anyone's art that doesn't deserve to be stuck on tiny cramped pages it's Stokoe's.

This would be so much easier to hit if their more expensive pledges weren't just "now you get MORE copies."

I'm pretty impressed that they got to where they did with those being all the pledges. I'm sure Stokoe is probably too busy for sketches and things, but I'm sure there could've been something more.

I see it hitting $65k in the next 6 days, but I'd be surprised if we get any of the other stretch goals.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bairfanx posted:

This would be so much easier to hit if their more expensive pledges weren't just "now you get MORE copies."

I'm pretty impressed that they got to where they did with those being all the pledges. I'm sure Stokoe is probably too busy for sketches and things, but I'm sure there could've been something more.

I see it hitting $65k in the next 6 days, but I'd be surprised if we get any of the other stretch goals.

If Stokoe offered original art this thing would have skyrocketed.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, this 65k stretch goal thing is really the first update, and the first time they seem to be strongly advertising it on twitter and other places. But I'd be happy even if this kickstarter weren't a rousing success, because on Twitter Stokoe said after Godzilla it's Orc Stain full time. :getin:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone reading Secret, Hickman's other Image book that's coming out right now? Because holy poo poo this is good. It's a crime story, which is weird because it's so not what Hickman does, but any more than that starts to spoil the story. Read it. It's easily as good as Manhattan Projects, despite being just as grounded as Manhattan Projects is bugshit insane.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bairfanx posted:

Dunno if it will hit any other goals but it did manage they did manage to get 900+ in one day to push it past 65k :toot:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Dunno if it will hit any other goals but it did manage they did manage to get 900+ in one day to push it past 65k :toot:

I got the email this morning and was incredibly pleased by this! It's a crime to have Stokoe's art on small pages.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'd like to pledge to the thing but being unemployed means I can't. I like the thought but never making it outside of kickstarter is a bit of shame in a way.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
A cool comic you should get

Title: The Massive

Team:Brian Wood on words, Kristian Donaldson on pictures, Dave Stewart on colors

Brief Description: The book follows a team of environmentalists as they struggle to keep themselves alive after a massive, total environmental collapse.

It's out today! Go buy it! Don't buy lovely comics!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

You sold me. I just went down to my local shop and picked it up.

On top of the fact that a good friend of mine loves Brian Wood, I thought I'd give this a shot. Appreciate the reminder!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, this kickstarter has less than a day left on it. It's for a comics anthology from Japan and it looks pretty badass. They've hit both of their stretch goals, so you're looking at something hardcover and over 100 pages for $10? I assume they coordinate with someone stateside to handle shipping, as they already have retailers listed who will carry it, otherwise I don't know how they'd make money.

Either way, check it out, it looks pretty awesome: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324352192/uzomuzo-alternative-comics-from-japan?ref=category

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

A cool comic you should get

Team:Brian Wood on words, Kristian Donaldson on pictures, Dave Stewart on colors

Brief Description: The book follows a team of environmentalists as they struggle to keep themselves alive after a massive, total environmental collapse.

Forgot this one was coming out. Got it, like it, Wood does a nice job of weaving together the story of where the team is and how they (and the world) got there. It's a disaster scenario that isn't crushingly bleak (like Walking Dead), but doesn't have much joy in it either. Very eager to see where Wood takes it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a counterpoint, I'm not feeling The Massive yet. The Callum Israel is really soft spoken and the three members of his crew so far appear far more proactive and capable than he is. He's an ex-mercenary, so I assume he has combat experience, and he was a member of a radical conservation unit and yet he hesitates a lot and allows his crew to speak for him. Maybe this proves his deep trust for his crew but it came across to me that he isn't fit to be captaining that ship and I don't know what he did to command everyone's respect.

I also really dislike the pacifist character archetype in post-apocalyptic stories as if their vows of non-violence do anything other than get their friends killed. One of the characters, the strong one of course, goes into a brief speech about why they killed a pirate as if anybody would seriously question defending their life against heavily armed assailants in the middle of loving nowhere! I know the crew are environmentalists and probably not used to hostilities but the world has collapsed, major cities lost, and millions if not billions of people along the coast are dead and they're crying over some faceless guy who just shot at them getting crushed by a boat.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Speaking about Wood, I have to recommend his ongoing work on Conan. All those years on Northlanders have done him good :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Speaking about Wood, I have to recommend his ongoing work on Conan. All those years on Northlanders have done him good :allears:

I only read the first arc of Northlanders but I would have enjoyed the story more if it weren't for the incredibly foul language. I don't mind cursing but Northlanders had these 8th century guys yelling "gently caress!" every other sentence. The Massive has been surprisingly tame and he does a good job adapting Howard's prose.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Massive was a pretty unimpressive introduction to the setting and characters and aside from the covers I hate the art. Probably not gonna pick up issue 2. The premise and cover art made me hope this might be the special comic of the year that gets everyone talking, but bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The Massive was a pretty unimpressive introduction to the setting and characters and aside from the covers I hate the art. Probably not gonna pick up issue 2. The premise and cover art made me hope this might be the special comic of the year that gets everyone talking, but bleh.

I don't know why you didn't like the art, I thought it was the best part about the comic. The lines and colors are clean and the characters look ragged and weathered. It certainly conveyed the setting of a bunch of sailors stuck on a ship with dreary weather in the middle of hostile territory. As a former sailor who once went a week without seeing the loving sun (literally) I definitely sympathized with these people... except the captain. He's just not doing it for me.