Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The Massive was a pretty unimpressive introduction to the setting and characters and aside from the covers I hate the art. Probably not gonna pick up issue 2. The premise and cover art made me hope this might be the special comic of the year that gets everyone talking, but bleh.

Yeah, count me in for it being unimpressive as well.

Planetoid 01 was pretty good. A really interesting setting with a beginning that wasn't too clunky or dull. Worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was expecting more from The Massive as well--overall, pretty boring, and I honestly don't care enough about what happened (hid from another boat whoaaaa) in #1 to keep going. Also, "weathered" would be the last word to describe how the characters looked. One guy's hair was a bit scruffy, I guess. Mary looked ready for a night on the town at all times, though, and looked like she came straight from a photo shoot. Maybe I'll grab a trade if I find it cheap, but after all the hype...eh. The cover was easily the best part.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 15, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The art looks vectorized as gently caress, to the point where everyone looks like hyper-clean mannequins with barely any motion to their actions or expressions, and almost all the shots of water were clearly just a photoshop ripple effect with some filters. It ain't no breathtaking work of art.

Don't believe the hype.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To each their own but I don't get that vibe at all. No, the characters don't ridiculously emote and there's no comic book shorthand like motion lines but that effects creates something that's more down to earth. More "dry" is the word I'm trying to think of. I got the same vibes from The New Deadwardians, another series I'm sure isn't turning heads with its art. It's not flashy but the bold lines and sharp use of colors (warm colors like a character's scarf are used sparingly to guide the eyes) add a more down-to-earth look than other comics with more flair.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Went on an offbrand spree this weekend thanks to this thread. Grabbed a bunch of stuff and will post impressions as I read. Loving working my way through the first TPB of Chew, and enjoyed the first issue of Saga immensely. Got a lot more to sift through!

Is anyone reading Super Dinosaur, and does it get good? I bought the first issue because, I mean, how can you not, and I like the art, but I was hoping for a little more goofy action fighting and it was really just a setup story. Does it start getting more ridiculous than a T-Rex with robot rocket arms and a Squid dude?

I mean, how could I not get this first issue after seeing stuff like this :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Title: Ignition City
Publisher: Avatar
Brief description: 'Deadwood' in a dieselpunk 1950s with rayguns and jetpacks and aliens
Why I like it: See "brief description"
Issue that is a good jumping on point: There's only like 5 issues, just get the trade paperback

Read through Warren Ellis' Ignition City the other day, it definitely wasn't what I expected. The description and cover made it seem like 'The Rocketeer'-style pulp action, when it's really more of "Deadwood in the 1950s with rayguns and rocket ships".
This definitely isn't a bad thing, and I'm hoping Ellis continues the series, it was just a bit of a shock for me when everyone was dropping F-bombs and getting drunk and then gorily blasting each other with laser pistols and poo poo. It really reads like it's made to be adapted into a TV show on HBO/Starz/Showtime, and frankly I wouldn't mind at all if it was.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 19, 2012

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I thought the latest issue of Glory was pretty fun in a "completely gratuitous ultra-violence" sort of way. I kind of wish there was more Glory in her own book, but since I'm not sure she's really portrayed as the protagonist, it works out I suppose. And she bites a dude's face off. That was kind of cool.

Every issue I have a new favorite character. This time, it was Shark Man in a Jetpack.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga #4 is out. Saga is all that's good with indie comics: after guzzling sodas you need a cup of cranberry juice to cleanse the palette.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Yeah, Saga seems extremely good so far. I was not expecting much because I was very lukewarm about you the last man but it has really blown me away. I lent them to some married friends of mine and they were so impressed that they started thief first pick list at our comic store. Their list only contains saga so far.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 21, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Holy poo poo, Adventure Time #5 is possibly the most hilariously entertaining comic I've read in a long time. If you've got even a vague knowledge of the show, you may want to check it out (hell, even if you don't, it's just good fun comics). The backup story by Paul Pope really blew me away too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Since I was talking about it earlier in the thread Ragemoor finished this week with a pretty fitting and disgusting ending. The last few panels are just the perfect ghost story end.

palin99999
Dec 24, 2010
Saga has been pretty great so far. The letters section has been great as well.

Was there ever any update on BKV's prose novel?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up the first issue of Saga and I'm not in love with it (why does everyone talk like they're a GBS poster?). I want to like it, though - does it dramatically improve after the first issue?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I picked up the first issue of Saga and I'm not in love with it (why does everyone talk like they're a GBS poster?). I want to like it, though - does it dramatically improve after the first issue?

What didn't you like about it in particular?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The dialogue, mostly. It tries way too hard to be casual and "real" when no one in the history of the universe has actually talked like that, ever. I don't know, it's ultimately not that big a deal, but it takes me out of it - it's like Vaughan is trying to out-snark Whedon.

But besides that, the story just didn't do much for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

The dialogue, mostly. It tries way too hard to be casual and "real" when no one in the history of the universe has actually talked like that, ever. I don't know, it's ultimately not that big a deal, but it takes me out of it - it's like Vaughan is trying to out-snark Whedon.

But besides that, the story just didn't do much for me.

Then no, I wouldn't continue. The interactions between Marko and Alana are always kept tongue-in-cheek even during scenes of peril. It becomes even more noticeable when they're joined by a ghost with her guts hanging out who seems to be the living embodiment of sarcasm. The side stories involving the robot prince and a mercenary doing his own thing are far more serious in tone but every moment of drama is preceded by a comedic element. It is a very light-hearted story which doesn't bother me none because I'm not a fan of taking ridiculous concepts and playing them completely straight faced.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, no, I gave the rest of the issues a shot, and I don't think it's for me. It's not even that the tone bothers me, I just don't think it's as funny or clever as it clearly wants to be, and as a result I find the characters to be really obnoxious. A shame.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

James Stokoe posted a bunch of cool pages/sketches/covers on his blog if you like looking at gorgeous pages.

Like this Godzilla cover.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I bought the current GODZILLA book because I thought it was the Stokoe one and wanted the awesome art.

It's not. But it's not a bad book, if you like Giant Monsters. I may actually keep reading it :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waterhaul posted:

James Stokoe posted a bunch of cool pages/sketches/covers on his blog if you like looking at gorgeous pages.

Like this Godzilla cover.

I can't wait for this to actually come out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quidnose posted:

I bought the current GODZILLA book because I thought it was the Stokoe one and wanted the awesome art.

It's not. But it's not a bad book, if you like Giant Monsters. I may actually keep reading it :v:

Really? Cuz when I read it, it was maybe the worst book of the year. Starring President ODANGO and lady BLA-BLA!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Really? Cuz when I read it, it was maybe the worst book of the year. Starring President ODANGO and lady BLA-BLA!

Iiiii'm not sure we're talking about the same book, cause I don't know what a President ODANGO is. The one I'm talking about is written by Swierczynski with art by Gane and starts with a bodyguard named Boxer.

For reference:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I think the one I read came out before Swierczynski took over. It also featured like 2 pages of rednecks talking about how they'll totally take down "them critters" with their shotguns before Anguirus just runs them over. Get it, because rednecks are dumb and deserve to die.

E: It was Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 24, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, no, I gave the rest of the issues a shot, and I don't think it's for me. It's not even that the tone bothers me, I just don't think it's as funny or clever as it clearly wants to be, and as a result I find the characters to be really obnoxious. A shame.

If the dialogue is the problem, you ought to check out Siegfried, which is much more straight forward and less sarcasm laden. It also is my favorite of the two books. When are they going to go ahead and translate the second book from the original French?!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Title: The Underwater Welder

Publisher: Topshelf Books

Team: Jeff Lemire

Brief Description: Jeff Lemire brings us another Canadian character study, this time it's like Essex County by the way of the Twilight Zone. Jack Joseph is an underwater welder who one day has a brush with something on the bottom of the ocean that he just can't explain.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out until August (they were selling early copies at Heroescon this weekend), but it's certainly worth checking out when it actually drops.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm really enjoying Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man which prompted me to start working through Sweet Tooth. The previews I've found for The Underwater Welder make it seem like the kind of thing I'd really like. I didn't realize the book was set in Nova Scotia. That explains why he is doing a signing in Halifax in August. I will have to grab this book before I go.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 25, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So can someone interpret Dracula v. Vampirella #5 for me? Vampirella is taking over the Dracula narrative I guess, but there were a lot there that I couldn't get a handle on. Like what's the deal with Jonathon Harker. Is he Dracula?.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Office Sheep posted:

I'm really enjoying Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man which prompted me to start working through Sweet Tooth. The previews I've found for The Underwater Welder make it seem like the kind of thing I'd really like. I didn't realize the book was set in Nova Scotia. That explains why he is doing a signing in Halifax in August. I will have to grab this book before I go.

I'm reviewing it this week for Comics Bulletin. I've already done my first readthrough of it, and it's spectacular, yet a very different beast from the rest of Lemire's comics.

I'm sure there will be some people who don't like it, but I am equally sure they will be in the minority. Lemire is one of the hardest working, most consistently great creators in the business right now.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Something weird that came out today

Fatima: The Blood Spinners

Gilbert Hernandez on words and art

I have kind of a weird relationship with the Hernandez brothers. I still haven't read any Love and Rockets but I have some of their other stuff, High Soft Lisp and Chance in Hell. I enjoy the stripped down style, even if the stories don't always totally click for me. It's just a unique voice, I guess.

So I guess I'm not really sure why he felt like he needed to tell a story about a girl who shoots zombies with weird guns. It just feels...unambitious I guess. Like he wanted to draw a bunch of panels of girls in bikinis shooting people. I dunno. I'm not sure I can recommend it, but I am curious if anyone else picked it up. Also if anyone can explain what the heck they are wearing for the last part of the book.

It's like some kind of brief-thong over their pants? It's actually goofy enough to be distracting.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Looks like Quailman to me:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Ugh. Blue Estate #12 was supposed to be in shops last week. Any idea when the issue will finally ship?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

So I walked into my local shop and noticed this on sale for $20:

Is it worth recommending? I've only heard of Eddie Campbell from his work in 'From Hell'.
Has anyone here read this?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus christ Prophet is a dense read. I'm halfway through and I already feel full.

Glory is still bringing the goods, the art is just wild. Seems to have a nice plot shift in there, though the dialogue could use another pass to stream line, but I'm not complaining. Image is good again!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Last week's issue of Prophet is the first one I've read of the re-release and I'm getting serious vibes from another series. There used to be this comic that was basically an anthology about the humanization of robots but I completely forgot the name. The art and writing looked very familiar to this anthology. I'll have to do some digging to find it.

e: Super disappointed that the fantastic Frankenstein Alive, Alive is bimonthly. 25 more days until issue 2? C'mon guys, work faster!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 2, 2012

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

friendo55 posted:

So I walked into my local shop and noticed this on sale for $20:

Is it worth recommending? I've only heard of Eddie Campbell from his work in 'From Hell'.
Has anyone here read this?

YES, it's got a huge amount of interesting stuff in it.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Ok so tell me how I'm doing.

After reading all the Walking Dead books -- which I love -- I branched out to see what else would be good.
I stopped reading comics before I turned 10, but now that I'm an adult, I want a good story and hopefully adult themes.

So far I've grabbed:

Invincible -- 2 issues in -- but Kirkman put together such a rich story for TWD, I'm expecting good things

-Neonomicon (heard great things)

-Girls (read issue 1 and got sucked in)

-Whispers (same as above)

-The Boys (got it based on chatter alone)

and now Saga...

I need to know if I am missing something VITAL that I can get lost in like TWD.
I am completely out of the comic book loop, but I want to start getting back into quality books. I would love any other recommendations to get a direction of what I should tap into.

I don't know artists or writers tendencies really, or who is the best line artist vs. who is the best story teller -- or if it's all too subjective to call someone the best. I'm just trying to catch up here.

I heard Crossed is dark and twisted - so I will probably get into that as well, but any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Kabz fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 3, 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You should probably go to the recommendation thread, but check out Preacher and Transmetropolitan.

Both are now complete and were two of the books that brought me back into comics as an adult.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think Hellboy is definitely part of the must-read, modern comics canon. Don't let any vague impressions gathered from the movies fool you--Hellboy has a lot more depth than a huge red guy going round beating up demons. It's honestly been one of the most consistent ongoing titles of the last decade. Mike Mignola is also one of the industry's most esteemed writer/artist; even when he's not contributing his own fantastic artwork, he has an eye for talent and has worked with great artists like Duncan Fegredo and Richard Corben.

This hardcover collection contains the first two arcs and serves as a decent primer for new readers. The first story was co-plotted with help from John Byrne and the next story shows Mignola come into his own remarkably quickly and capably as sole writer.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Burn every one of those books.

Buy King City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
If you liked Girls you could also get The Sword. It's by the Luna Brothers and features a girl with a magic sword chopping people in half like they are giant balloons filled with chunky spaghetti sauce.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 3, 2012