Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
It has been pretty great. I'd never heard of the character before so I feel like maybe I'm missing parts of the story (although from looking at the art in the Liefield issues I don't care) but it does seem to be setting up something interesting. Her sort of using the dreams of various girls to come into our world (I think that's what's going on?) is a neat way of explaining why people (I think) like heroes in a literal sense (they give us something to aspire to).

And yeah, the art's been fantastic. I think a lot of artists have trouble when they have to draw a woman with muscles, since I've seen a lot who just look like men with breasts attached, but I think Campbell does a good job of keeping her femininity while giving her the muscles she would need to pull of the ridiculous things she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Is this where we talk about Manhattan Projects? Because I need to talk about Manhattan Projects. I am running out of platitudes to describe this book.

I've probably already said that I think it's great, but hey, it is. I've seen it as a place Hickman can get a lot of his crazy science ideas out that you see hints of in his FF run for example. The Einstein reveal and multiple reality angle shown in the latest issue have really sealed the deal for me though; I can't wait to see where it all goes. The art's also pretty great and the limited use of color really helps accent scenes in great ways.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Does anyone know what happened to Hickman's Secret series? The first two issues came out, and the third one was solicited for this week but was a no-show and now the solicits for issues 3, 4, and 5 all say TBD. I thought it had some potential so I hope things didn't go south for it.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Secret #3 got pushed back to an August 15 release, or at least that's the latest news I'm aware of. I think it's just delayed to all hell, reasons unknown.

And it's a little frustrating because those first two issues were really cool and there's so much more to find out.

Yeah, plus the way the story's told I'll have to keep re-reading the previous issues every time a new one comes out if they take this long. As an aside, I really like the coloring jobs that both Manhattan Projects and Secret are getting. I think the stark contrasts between pages and bright, flat color choices really work for the bizarre/intricate stories being told. But I'm kind of a Hickman fanboy so take that as you will.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

I was pretty excited about Glory for the first few issues and I still think it's a cool take on a female superhero, especially since she looks muscly enough to pull off the crazy stuff she's doing. It was also nice that her supporting cast wasn't a collection of supermodels and I really liked the sort of cartoony ness of the main human girl.

That said, I don't think the initial references to Supreme and weird Glory dream angle helped it in the first issue. It definitely made it seem like I was missing something unlike prophet which just jumped into a story, explaining as it went.

What ultimately threw me off the book, the amount of gore/violence, was really a personal thing. It feels weird to criticize a cape book for being gorey (although it's mainly why I stay away from Invincible) but it just made me dislike Glory herself, as did the whole "I'm an incontrolable weapon argh" angle. I'd definitely read a book about the freedom fighters in her supporting cast though. And that cute cat thing she has. Still, I'll be sad to see the book go if it does.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

EDIT: Gah! How did I miss this. Wrong thread.

gogisha fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 6, 2012

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Just wanted to make sure you all are reading Manhattan Projects since with each issue it just gets crazier and crazier. I read an interview with Hickman saying he specifically didn't plan much in the series and it definitely shows the fun carefree attitude that implies. I don't even really care if the story is going to a specific conclusion, the rides been so fun it's been worth it alone.

Also sad to read from that note Hickman put in the issue that Secret wont have a regular schedule for the foreseeable future. At least there'll be another Hickman/Dragotta book out in a few months.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Holy loving poo poo Manhattan Projects #9 is great.

It's really funny how by now I like the characters so much that when Oppenheimer said "I'm going to eat you" I was completely on his side in an anti-hero kinda way. It's great how loose and unpredictable the series is and I really hope the art (which I think is great) doesn't keep more people from reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

I hear you. At first I was impressed that Avatar was putting it out, then it turned into another Avatar comic.

Are Avatar comics known for being bad or something? I haven't read any of them but Gillen's Uber and I thought that was pretty good. Just curious since Uber was the first I'd heard of them.