Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Title: Severed
Publisher: Image

Brief Description: Severed is a historical horror story, set in 1916, by Scott Snyder, Scott Tuft and Attila Futaki. The book follows a 12-year-old boy named Jack on his search for his biological father which leads him to cross paths with a serial killer (there is more to this but I don't want to give it all away).

Why I like it: Great writing, great characterization and creepy as hell. The art does a really good job of conveying the historical aspect, but during the creepier/horror parts it becomes downright amazing. The writers were aiming to emulate "classic" horror stories like The Shining and The Exorcist and they definitely succeed: The story is very character driven, atmospheric and tense without going for shock value or excessive gore. That said, it is kind of a slow burn so it's probably not for everyone but the buildup is definitely worth it.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's a seven-issue mini that just wrapped up this month and the first issue is free on comixology! The rest are 2$. If you're a fan of old-school horror or Scott Snyder or both I would definitely recommend reading this book (Actually read it anyways). I'm sure a TPB is on the way as well but hasn't been announced yet.

E: In case it wasn't clear - start at issue #1

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

fritz posted:

And hell let's do this:

Title: Frank
Author : Jim Woodring
Publisher : Fantagraphics

Found a used copy of the Frank book the other day and thanks to seeing this thread I decided to get it and holy hell it is awesome. 350 pages of amazing art, it's like a nightmarish version of my dad's childhood cartoons. Thanks for posting about this because I probably would never have picked it up off the shelf otherwise! Also features a foreword by Francis Ford Coppola which kind of took me by surprise. How is the newer Frank stuff?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Have you guys seen this kickstarter? I've never read anything by Mark Andrew Smith but Stokoe's doing the art so it could be blank speech bubbles for all I care.