Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Title: Green Hornet:Year One/Kato: Origins

Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment

Brief description: A revamp of one of the first masked crimefighting teams in comic books - done with real style and panache, plus a good amount of period flavor.

Why I like it: I'm a Matt Wagner fan in general, but with Green Hornet: Year One you can tell he really did his research and tried to do right by the character. He captures 1930s gangland Chicago in all it noirish glory and doesn't pull any punches. The companion book is titled Kato:Origins and should also be read - it's an all-around good book covering Kato's solo adventures in 1940s America. Not only is it enjoyable but it's written from an unusual perspective - that of an Asian American during WWII, a time when anti-Asian racism was common and an Asian man was often looked at as a "dirty Jap."

Issue that is a good jumping on point: I guess at the beginning. For GH:Y1 you can get the first trade for dirt cheap on Amazon, and the same is true for the first Kato: Origins trade.

I honestly feel like this series is criminally overlooked, but I'm a sucker for noir-y crime stories and WWII-era stuff so I might be biased. Maybe you aren't but hey, for those prices you might as well give it a shot, right?

picosecond fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU