Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

fnordcircle posted:

Right now he's somewhat amoral. The storyline definitely seems to be heading in a direction where Moriarity does good because he doesn't like the alternative.

I'm not sure if they are going to make us question who has really been the good guy all along, which would be cliche in and of itself, or if they are going to keep going along this sort of route where Moriarity is pitted against people who are more evil than he is to the point that he has to defeat them to save the world which we've all seen before.

For now I'm just enjoying what feels like a diamond in the rough.

Funnily enough, this is also to some extent what happened to the other character to beat Holmes (well, according to his author, and not Conan Doyle), Arsene Lupin, who was a criminal who increasingly frequently worked on the side of good because there were people worse than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I was going to post about Albion, Leah Moore and John Reppion's love letter to British comics, but am no longer going to do so because apparently Wildstorm is an imprint owned by DC, so it won't count here, which is a dreadful shame, because it's a really fun book with great and varied art.

Looking at the other non-Big 2 titles in my comics shelf, the first one I came across was Kick-rear end, which I'm also not going to write about for various reasons, not least of which are the fact that Icon is a Marvel imprint, and also the fact that Kick-rear end 2 is... well, Kick-rear end 2, but which did remind me about the best thing to be published in Millar's CLiNT magazine:

Who Is Jake Ellis?

Publisher: Image

Brief Description: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) meets The Bourne Identity - Jon Moore is a mercenary on the run from pretty much every government. There's only two people in the world he can rely on: himself, and the mysterious omniscient man that only he can see.

Why I Like It: Who Is Jake Ellis? was a massive surprise to me. Aside from being the most -in fact, the only- genuinely mature comic ever featured in CLiNT, it's a really slick paranormal/psychological-ish espionage thriller with an interesting core concept, really striking art, and tight scene pacing.

A total breath of fresh air amongst CLiNT's usual cavalcade of attention-grabbing blood-spewing shock violence and celebrity names, this strip came out of nowhere with little build-up or fanfare and a writer and artist I'd never heard of, and drew me right in from the first few pages, which you can read at this Comic Book Resources preview (Do it, then go to Amazon and buy the TPB). Cool, slick, and mysterious, the series manages to be understated and subtle in many respects, and deserves more attention.

Also as one final thing that I liked, Batman fans might have noticed that Croatian artist Tonci Zonjic's art (though very much his own) is more than a little reminiscent of David Mazzucchelli's noir-ish style in Batman: Year One, which is another plus for me, since I love that book's art. In fact, here, have a look at more of Zonjic's art, in which he makes the Marvel Divas concept look far classier than it has any right to be, although his style is overall clearly more suited to realistic people than superheroes, which Who Is Jake Ellis? benefits from. He also does great establishing shots, and knows how to make transitional panels work in a way that just subtly flows, which really helps keep the art in line with the smooth, slick action of the story.

Issue That Is A Good Jumping-On Point: It's a suspense series, and it's only 5 issues long. Start at issue 1, or just buy the TPB.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 2, 2012