Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Whenever I ask about fantasy comics people recommend Orc Stain. Is it really that hard to find the first six issues? Like, if I can do it for fiveish dollars a back issue I'll probably start reading it.

Speaking of fantasy comics, this one isn't bad.

Title: Dungeons & Dragons
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description: John Rogers (Blue Beetle, Leverage, Jackie Chan Adventures) writes a monthly tale about a party of adventurers in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. There's no need to be familiar with mechanics or editions or anything, it's just a group of fantasy adventurers having fantasy adventures in a world full of magic and monsters.
Why I Like It: It's a fun series, with interesting characters, locales and adventures. John Rogers' usual witty banter works really well since it captures the back and forth character banter you'd get from a some of the best adventuring parties. It's an enjoyable read all around.
Issue That Is A Good Jumping On Point: The first two trade paperbacks are a good start, the third comes out in April and collects up to the most recent issue. All the individual issues can be bought on Comxiology as well.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Since Dark Horse loses its Star Wars license at the end of the year they're selling every Star Wars thing they have for 50% off, or absolutely every Star Wars thing they have in one $300 bundle (which is apparently ~90% off). Sale ends at 11 pm Pacific tonight, so maybe 15 hours left.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

RevKrule posted:

Did Dark Horse ever make their digital app better and usable?

I sure hope so :shepspends:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
A few months back, but I bought the giant pile of Star Wars comics from Dark horse at the end of the year. Trip Report:

RevKrule posted:

Did Dark Horse ever make their digital app better and usable?

It seems like they did. I've been using it on my phone and on my computer. They function fairly well on both, though I've been occasionally puzzled by the "panel-by-panel" approach on my phone, but that's largely because I am not very good with touch screens. Otherwise it's a fairly smooth reading experience that can flow from issue to issue without breaking the flow, and it can even keep track of where you were even when you're switching devices so I can read a few issues/pages/panels on my phone while I'm waiting and then immediately pick it up on my computer when I get home. My only gripe is that you have to download issues to your phone while you can stream directly from the site on your computer (due to understandable tech limitations), but while my computer is my preferred reading spot it doesn't have the nice sorting system that the phone has, which sets up nesting folders so you can navigate from series (Star Wars) to Title (Star Wars: A Long Time Ago...) to Issue (Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago... Volume 2), while if I want to get to the issue on my computer I have to navigate through a long list of 560 different comics at 24 things per page. If you remember which page it's on then it's a bit faster, but it's still annoying.

Overall, pretty worth the money for (almost) all the Star Wars. I don't regret the purchase.