Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/721772129356656640
https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/721772202685652992

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is anyone else reading the Dirk Gently book that's on issue 3? I liked the books, and this series came out almost without me knowing it. I have been enjoying it for the most part, however the latest issue really struck me a crass.

Each issue so far opens with a dream sequence in different styles. One of the previous ones was like Nemo in Dreamland I believe. However, the latest one opens with him as a kid in a government lab spinning him on the ceiling surround by TVs. At the end of the issue, it turns out he was predicting 9/11. What the gently caress is that?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The worst thing about Crossed is how it is ruining Mercury Heat right now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Prepare to read a lot about an awkward kid growing up with a dying mother, temperamental father, and low income. Also there are some pages about a farm in the future. Death has been cured, but nothing has changed really in the first issue.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lake of Fire is loving badass and over.

I haven't read it yet, but "over"? Like, that's the last issue?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Caught up with The Fix.

:ohdear:

I've been having my GF read this story as it came out. I told her she has to wait an issue or two before she can resume it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At least Gunnerkrigg has better art than copy pasting sprites over text logs.

(I'm going to add Dr McNinja to the list of good ones. I just ended a few weeks ago. You could start with "Volume 2" which is when he started coloring his art.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So thanks to this forum (maybe this thread) I picked up the Hellboy library edition Volume 1. I liked it, but the second story, Wake the Devil, referenced a story that's in volume 2, The Chained Coffin. I looked on Wikipedia and around, and everything still says that Volume 1 is the first two trades. Did the trades come out in a different order than the release order?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'll probably press on with the series in the Library editions. It was just odd to see it say it was the first two trades, but then see the trades were also not released in published order. I found a better guide on Wikipedia, and it seems like the library editions cover almost everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellboy#Issues

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So far I liked it, but maybe not as much as I thought I would. I guess I was expecting it to be more humorous and less like paranormal Batman (I don't read Frank Miller, but this is close to what I think it was before he went 9/11 crazy). My only exposure to the extended universe was watching Amazing Screw-On Head back when they were pushing it for a pilot show. My expectations for humor were up because I did see both movies, and I see panels posted on these forums. I think the one that made me go ahead and buy it was the sequence where Hellboy eats pancakes, and people in hell are in anguish over Hellboy's joy.

I'm going to continue on because I did enjoy it, and the art style, and I figured that maybe the first few issues weren't indicative of the format of the series later. Plus, I'm interested in the world it's creating. The spinoffs might be fun to see how this world comes together.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm a bit late on this, but read GodShaper.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB171285

It's another Simon Spicer comic, and an interesting setup. Gas and electric powered devices stopped working, but everyone has their own personal god. The gods can do various things, like freeze things, x-ray vision, etc (for example, one background character fed cream into one god, to make it into an ice-cream machine). The main character was 1 in 1,000 who does not have their own personal god. This makes him an outcast. However, he can "shape" the gods. Make them look different, reconfigure their powers, etc. However, he's also teamed up with an abandoned god, and together they rob people.

It's an interesting setup, and it has amazing colors in the issue. I'm waiting for #2 to drop, and telling my shop to subscribe me to it today.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Swordquest cost a quarter at my shop (and it sounded like they were sent a whole lot at my shop), so I picked it up. Haven't read it yet. Is there going to be a bunch of these? Do we know what titles if so?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's so hard to pass up on things like this when you read stuff in trades. (Walking Dead also had something major spoiled for me in the first page of Image+ this week since I only read the yearly hardcovers).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a book either here or the badass thread that I'm trying to hunt down. It basically was knights vs aliens/xenos? Or at least the few panels posted showed that. Any ideas?

Sounds like you're possibly talking about Lake of Fire.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lake-of-fire-1

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know if there is going to be an Unsound #7? I found that series very interesting, and one I liked more than I thought I would (when something similar, House of Penance, was one I hated). However, the last issue seemed like they could have ended it there if it didn't sell well. I can't find anything on Booms website about #7, or about it being a 6 part mini.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I thought these come out next week.
EDIT: I should ask. I'm a trade reader, so does anyone know if this special is set in the timeline of the comics? Or is it like the other two one-shots where they were their own separate stories?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was just the setup, but if you want some body horror with people augmenting their bodies with cybernetics, then it's for you. Plot is a human wants to break into a city for the elite, which is guarded by said cyborgs. Think like cyborgs meet Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should check out Sherlock Frankenstein and the Forces of Evil. It's a 4 part miniseries in the Black Hammer universe (the original one they are from). Issue 3 of 4 just released last week.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wanted to, but the second story arch of Mercury Heat became this truly awful Crossed crossover. I seldom cancel a pull on a series in the middle of a story arch, but wooboy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not just volume one of both series?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am, but in trades. I feel like if I can’t buy it from the beginning, I can’t buy it monthly after catching up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just read Curse Words 13. Was it meant to be so yellow on so many pages? They're were maybe four pages that were in full color. Even the ad for the second trade paperback was yellow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh man, this is going to be the new S.H.E.I.L.D. Are we going to need to wait 6 years for the finale?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Library Edition #1. Then #2. #3 is probably a good follow up. Etc, etc.

If you mean intertwined with BPRD, Abe Sapian, etc.? I dunno, guess by trade release order. Really, as long as you read them in volume order, you'll be fine. And to be fair, there's a lot of skipping around chronologically (retro B.P.R.D. stuff was published along side the 'contemporary' stories, along with some Lobster Johnson stories which take place before most stores, etc.) If you want to read everything, Wikipedia has an actually fairly comprehensive list and date for each issue, book, volume, etc. The only necessary books (the backbone of the world) is Hellboy, and eventually B.P.R.D. I can't speak for every Hellboy related comic, but for the most part everything outside these two are just texture. Very nice and interesting stories, but only as necessary as you make them.

This is basically me. I have the first three library editions and now I'm spoiled by their quality. I'm hoping they use that format for the spinoffs, but I know it's not likely.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really like both of those covers, so I'll check out the first issue at least since Joel's apparently writing it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of tattoos and comics, I picked up Atomahawk a little while ago and I'd pretty strongly recommend it on the art alone. It was drawn by a tattoo artist and he has a really interesting style which I'd post examples of if I wasn't on my phone.

I will second this recommendation. I followed him as a tattoo artist alone, even though he's nowhere near me (although if he ever guest spots around me, I have an idea for a tattoo I want in his style from him).

Here's the Instagram for Atomahawk, which features the comic and some tattoos in that universe:
https://www.instagram.com/atomahawk/

Here's the artist's instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/wonkytiger

I'm hoping for a second volume coming out soon that collects the stuff in Image+.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to throw in Unsound as another one worth reading. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it isn't going to get any more issues.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, it was the first issue, so it was mostly world building. Although they did show the relationship between the father and the daughter characters. It was pretty good, had a Sex Criminals meets Bitch Planet vibe to it. (Not that difficult considering that they had a Bitch Planet poster in the background of one of the panels).

Also, I feel that of course people who are transgender aren't going to like it. The book is lovely to 51% of the population, that's the point of the book, it's a dystopia. They put drugs in the water supply to gently caress with the natural processes of the female body. A government like that (that calls itself "The Ministry of Defense" or something) sure wouldn't give a poo poo about trans people. And it's obvious that the book is going to try to upset that status quo, given the author.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 27, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

Transgender

Look no offense but tbh if you cant even get the terminology right and youre not understanding the critique its not meant for you and thats kinda why i said it was for my fellow queer posters in the first place

Yeah sorry, I'm not good with the terminology. Edited it out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think anyone else will care since not even the authors mention it in their social media accounts, but looks like Flavor abruptly ended with issue 6 and no conclusion. There's just a paragraph in the recap page saying is no longer a monthly comic. Bummed me out because they were setting up the world pretty well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was super dumb, but that's what I signed up for. I'll have to see how I still feel about it around issue 6, but it was a fun read.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife will be happy, but what is happening with the Chilling Tales of Sabrina now? Hopefully another volume will come out soon with the show finished with the first season.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Covok posted:

Is anyone reading Flavor by Image comics? It reminds me a lot of Shueisha comics. You know, like Dragonball and Nartuo. 'Cept it's in a fantasy world where food and chefs are the main focus.

Yup, I posted about it up thread because the last issue said that they're no longer doing individual issues and who knows if they're going to put out any more of the store elsewhere.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Anyone else disappointed with the ending to Black Hammer: Age of Doom? It was a bit too navel-gazy for me. And I'm not sure what the point of it was.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just posted in the Weekly Release thread, and then did a scroll back to find out when the last issue of Aftershock's Relay was. The last post of that was back in the end of August. For something that was a Free Comic Book Day #0 back in May, I'm surprised they already stumbled to ship on #4. On Aftershock's website there's a listing for 4 which was supposed to come out in October. It has a link to it on Comixology, which now says February. I imagine it's going to go on my pile of "comics that never finished" right next to Flavor and Trees.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I also disliked the end of Age of Doom. I really didn't like the fourth wall break. Especially when it seemed to make the creators look like gods for their DC universe rip off.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImageComics/comments/ajqfql/rat_queens_update_from_kurtiss_blog_saw_this_on/?st=JRCVJJOA&sh=a5bb2d70

Looks like the Rat Queens curse strikes again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I already said something about Age Of Doom's lackluster end of story arch, but Quantum Age's last night was almost just as bad. It seems like they somehow wrote themselves into a corner with the final enemy, so they went with the lamest fakeout, and then said "gently caress it, who care, go to the future, the end!" It seemed like they were rushing to reach any resolution so they could tie it up for a trade. Halfway through the issue it just changes gears entirely.

Overall the comic series are good, but this is two flubs in a few months, and it's getting me worried about where this series is going.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fadam posted:

If I read through Wicked + The Divine, when should I read the one shots?

If you get the trade (volume 8) it tells you. They put them in the collection chronologically, but also tell you what issues they came out in between. It suggested the chronological order. Someone might be able to post that blurb in the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been reading it since it came out. The story is very interesting, but the art is where it really excels. I'd recommend it.