Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got very tired of Saga in general around the third trade. the art's consistently fantastic but it's some pretty weak writing by BKV standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Norns posted:

Just because something isn't for you or in line with your taste doesn't make it poo poo.

this is true. however, it is also true that Robert Kirkman is poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

AV Club did it's best of the year list and they're mostly indies naturally. Are all these worth reading, I hadn't heard of a surprising number of them.

i can vouch for Autumnlands (don't know if it's #1 good, but it's very good), Southern Bastards, the Fade Out (probably my pick for #1), Island, Hellboy in Hell, and i only read the first issue of Bitch Planet but it was pretty good.

one i'd like to see get more love is We Can Never Go Home from Black Mask, really great mix of crime comic, superhero, and teen romance that just wrapped up its first mini. probably my #2 comic of the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

What's the hook for Fade Out beyond "Bru/Phillips noir"?

it's specifically Bru and Phillips giving their take on James Ellroy, plus the columns on old hollywood scandals in the backpages are awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

pugnax posted:

No lovecrafty stuff yet, but kiddly-diddling cults look like a distinct possibility. IIRC Bru hinted that the story is something they've been wanting to do for a very long time and that it's big, so who knows where it's going to go. They've got that sweet contract gig over at Image, so it could run for 50 issues if they have that much story.

actually the next issue is gonna be the last one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

So...they're not going to continue Criminal or Incognito is what you're saying.

they did a Criminal one-shot earlier this year that was one of the best issues ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah your post was actually what led me to check the book out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ninguno posted:

I'm generally pretty pro-misogyny

Interesting. How's that working out for you?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Lmao I'm not sure how you could type that sentence seriously so I assume he's joking.

i'm just assuming he doesn't actually know what "misogyny" means, but hey, the world has a plurality of ideas.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

god drat the last issue of The Fade Out is a whopper. strong stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We Can Never Go Home was awesome so yeah I'm very much looking forward to 4 Kids

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Moore issues of Crossed +100 are very well done, but as to whether they're less horrific, good god no. The last issue of his storyline is nightmare inducing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I really like that art style.

yeah, very down for this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

So I've been trying to read Alan Moore's run on Supreme and while i can recognize what he's doing I just find it boring to the point that I've been sitting on it for like three weeks now and I haven't even made it halfway through yet. I'm blaming this on not being a Superman reader and especially on not having read any golden/silver age stuff. Is this an acceptable excuse or am I not a true comic fan?

I kinda felt the same way about it to be honest. It's certainly not a bad comic, but it wasn't really for me. At a certain point with that kind of stuff it's like "ok maybe wrap up all this self-referentiality and tell an actual story"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

its a cool design except that logo/color scheme looks exactly like Dark Phoenix

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have no problem with the sex but that whole arc about the novel that brings the two lead characters together was so dumb I jumped ship on the book

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only reason to read East of West is Nick Dragotta.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Image announced Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Denied, the final series will be coming out this summer!

woah that's sick

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Woah poo poo Stokoe is doing an Aliens book? Is it as good as I hope it is?

I just read the first issue and yeah it's predictably fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Other posted:

I also read Daniel Johnson's Do A Powerbomb on my library's hoopla app and I LOVED it! I have to admit while I saw it keep getting recommended in this and other threads I didn't really know what to expect. After I checked it out it sat on my smartphone for a few days until one night when I started to read it, only meaning to read an issue or two. I ended up devouring the whole thing in one night and I have already order the physical trade.

my tattoo artist recommended this to me this past weekend, thanks for the tipoff that it's on Hoopla, Hoopla's comics collection remains insane