Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

krakagar posted:

I thought it was great, the art was amazing and the story grabbed me. What do you think was wrong with it?

Biggest one is that there's nothing that makes me think I'll like or care about any of the characters, and without good characters GMo's stuff can seem redundant or masturbatory.
I hope that the space sorry was supposed to be cheesy and over the top because the writer in the story isn't that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That sounds like my kind of thing. Any tips on where to get vol 1?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm not big into pop culture, fantasy, or much of Gillen's other work outside Three, and I really like W+D. It's fun, I like how it portrays gods as these over-sized personalities with issues and no special love for humanity, and I didn't notice there were no white male characters until it was pointed out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I picked up an anthology from Maple Key Comics recently, and it was good enough that I grabbed the next two as well. Black and white indie comics, all sorts of genres. Apparently some stories are spread over 3 issues, but none of them felt incomplete.
Folks who like anthologies should check them out!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Completely agree with forum poster Shitshow. I definitely see your point on the sexual violence, but while a lot of what the villain did was probably unnecessary i thought the mother was handled well.The rape was underpaid at first, but it showed her trying, and sometimes failing, to deal with it.
My wife really liked the series, too, maybe more than I did.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I read RASL. It was neat, but I don't end up recommending it to folks. It's been a while, but I remember thinking that the main character never felt real, and the situation he was in seemed neat but not particularly compelling.

Lot of words for me to just say Meh.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I still put King City above Multiple Warheads, at least because King City is completed.

Chew is good for comedy. Sex Criminals is all kinds of awesome. Both books are way better than their synopsis would imply, so just check them out.

Deadly Class is great if the idea of Hogwarts for assassins is appealing. I've also been loving Gillen and McKelvie's Wicked and Divine. It's about gods as pop musicians, and I'm not normally interested in either.

If you like Rat Queens, maybe give Skull Kickers a shot. It has the same D&D comedy thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Just Offscreen posted:

As far as more self contained graphic novels, Asterios Polyp was super good

Asterios Polyp is great. The story is pretty much just a guy going through a tough time and learning lesions, but it is well done and pushes the comics medium further than any book since Watchmen.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Just Offscreen posted:

Also how is that yellow?

If you're asking me something, I don't understand the question.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The ads on the back of BP were pretty good, too.

Really, everyone should go the Tooth and Claw route and do a cheap, double sided first issue to fully introduce the world and plot.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
"You don't want to order that"is over the top, but shops should feel free to tell people getting into Crossed "Do you know what you're getting into?"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Just finished reading Asterios Polyp, and to put it succinctly: this is a comics textbook.

Everything about it is incredible. The ending is a little strange and doesn't quite fit the tone of the book, but I think maybe it was Mazzuchelli's way of saying, "don't take this too seriously."

Along this line, one review I read (and agree with) thought it was significant that the visit to the crater happens in the middle of the book, so that dead center of the book is a big picture of a hole with the main character saying "that's quite a hole". Mazzuchelli is just acknowledging the holes in his own book.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Cithen posted:

I've only gotten into comics over the past few months, so a lot of things are new to me. I have academic interests in continental philosophy and social activism so to find it in a comic book is pretty novel for me. I'll check out Kot's other work for sure.

You may want to check out Invisibles by Grant Morrison. It's got some of that plus a lot of magic and madness.

It was a huge book and it still holds a lot for me, but I don't know what it would be like reading it for the first time as an adult.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

LordPants posted:

8House looks really good - is it?

Arclight is neat. 2 issues in and it is weird and fantasy-tastic, and very alien, but not a ton of plot yet.
What's up with the 8house brand? Is it a few books set in the same world? Anyone read the others?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'll bet on Lucifer. Lucifer, especially as Gillen used her, is a bit of a reflection of Loki, and Odin and Loki were best buds in myths.
Odin was narrating the whole story to the horned person, and he talked about Cassandra and Laura in 3rd person (eg "I hated her"), but he never quite does that when talking about Lucifer. I'd bet he copied or saved part of Lucifer somehow because this Odin is a minion and Lucifer is all vanity and take charge.
Ananke is the way gods enter the world, so maybe Odin found his own way to bring a god in, but I think Lucifer is a cleaner answer. The horns work, the red text works, the context works.

As for some of the other stuff, these gods have always been a bit separate from the real mythological gods. Tara wasn't sure what Tara she was, and Ananke said that wasn't uncommon. So that explains his phrasing when he says "Odin sacrificed his good looks for wisdom"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

lotus circle posted:

InStockTrades is having a sizable sale on indie trades. Tell me, is Injection any good?

If you're an Ellis fan, it's great. If not, it's pretty good. I think the art carries a lot of the work, but the story is a neat present day wandering into urban fantasy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

X-O posted:

I don't know if anyone else is reading Letter 44, but uh... that escalated rather quickly.

I'm following it in trades, and every one ends with a bigger escalation, so I can only imagine.