Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Regarding the Sex Criminals hoo-ha, it was pointed out on here that while issue 2 wasn't available to buy via the Comixology app, you could just buy it from their website then download it onto your iOS device via My Purchases afterwards. Presumably this will still be the case for issue 3..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm equal parts stunned and bemused at seeing Eve: True Stories is an actual thing being published. The epic tale of Goons' heroic struggle against the odds to claim victory in internet spaceships, in comic form! Er, what?

I eagerly await an adaptation of the great Titan blueprints scam as a follow up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ah, waking up, checking Comixology and discovering there's a new issue of Bandette out today certainly makes for a delightful a start to the day. I do wish they'd us know what happened to Matadori though, with each new issue comes an increasing sense of dread that those ruffians really did kill her...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wanderer posted:

Moore took his drat time getting to it, but the issue of Crossed +100 that came out today is really creepy.

Yeah, it was eerie how the guy was already so inhuman that it had practically no effect other than the rash and all bastards just ignored him as he kept up his daily routine while the carnage goes on around him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

fatherboxx posted:

Really excited for 2 (!!!) books by Ron Wimberly announced yesterday

Never heard of the guy but I'm in based on that promo image alone.

Edit - Oh wait, he did a couple of issues of the recent She-Hulk run, right? Those were grand.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It is indeed great but the last year has left me mad curious as to how the TV adaptation will turn out, what with all the insane WWIII/Germany v USA stuff going on in Earth. It's such an amazing escalation of events compared to how the story appears to be set up at the start..!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The latest issue of Bandette was impossibly charming as usual. The "I'm in disguise!" panels in particular were an absolute delight.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Letter 44 is being made, I thought? Though given what happens later on, I am struggling to imagine it all on a modest TV budget.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I don't mean the aliens, chums, that's the easy stuff. I mean World War loving Three! Reducing all of it to scenes of dudes muttering to each other and staring at screens in the Presidential bunker would feel kind of lame.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I really dug the new Paper Girls, despite the weirdo time travellers showing up in the earlier issues, I didn't really consider it a time travel story per se but rather a period piece and so was still pleasantly surprised when the gang arrive in the present and meet forty year old Erin, who does a commendable job of not freaking the gently caress out considering.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh man, Animosity #1 was up there for me with The Vision in terms of books I had zero expectations for beforehand only to be fully hyped and on board to the bitter end by the last page. Mega thanks to whoever it was in the Funny Panels thread that posted up a few pages.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am really digging Animosity and it's continuing thing of 'deer are assholes'. Plus the notion of a dog having watched a bunch of zombie films is pleasing to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

the communists have the most powerful uber so YOUR TEAM is doing okay.

less so the brits, and it wouldn't shock me if we get to see a fully activated japanese battleship running riot across the pacific/australia. rip mr churchill.

though tbh i think the complaint that the nazis having an edge is contrived is misdirected. the edges they've had are explained in a realistic manner through plot. they had access to the core material for making ubers long before any of the other powers - and, hell, the sexy british spy stealing the stuff is itself more contrived than that - and the reason the germans were able to keep an edge technologically has a very plausible in-world explanation.

Gillen himself pointed out that while we look back on the Nazis has having been crushed on all sides, for a good portion of the war, they were winning and seemed almost invincible, and that sense of despair (and resisting it) is what's he's trying to portray. The way people just keep going despite a calamitous series of defeats, despite it being seemingly hopeless. Basically, the series hasn't had its Stalingrad moment yet but it is coming.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Covok posted:

Really? That's the first time I've heard of a cross-company comic team-up actually fitting into the established plotlines of either story. Usually they're morel like when Batman and Spiderman teamed-up to stop the Joker/Carnage team: totally non-canon, but fun.

All Judge Dredd crossovers are canon. And it's a matter of record that Stormwatch was wiped out by an infestation of Aliens on Skywatch!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I started reading Letter 44 and just bust out laughing imagining Trump in that situation.

Honestly, I'm not sure even he could handle some parts of it as badly as Blades does.

mid-series spoiler: World War III with Europe, loving lol

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That’s *not* the monks/wooden planet one, right? Is it the one with Hicks and Newt escaping a space station with an airborne Alien virus and Ripley out of commission for the entire thing? If so, the scene where an Alien first manifests read like some primo body horror, hope the artist does it justice.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Been catching on up the ever weird and wonderful Paper Girls and that is some cruel rear end poo poo on their future Cleveland trip:

dangling a cancer cure in front of Mac only to then tell her “oh sorry, you have time-travel cancer, which is still completely incurable unlike all the others”

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Read the first volume of a French orphan drama, The Misfits Club For Girls, and really liked it but was super disappointed to find it's digital only because I've greatly soured on reading stuff that way after the last few years of fuckery.

It's kinda funny how much stuff I've seen lately that I'd love to get but is digital only (see also some cool looking fantasy thing someone posted in the Badass Panels thread that had a super limited physical release or something, pah).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
God I loved Scream!. Dracula as a 'defector' legging it over an Iron Curtain checkpoint, the insane story about cats gone mad attacking everyone, and of course the greatest caretaker/building manager ever with Max in The Thirteenth Floor.

I remember years later seeing a film in the video store called The 13th Floor and was so disappointed when it turned out to be some Aussie bollocks about ghosts instead of my boy siccing murder holograms on debt collectors, abusive exes, and bullies.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao the Leopard of Lime Street was one of the most ridiculous of concepts: a Scouse superhero, basically Spider-Man but with a radioactive leopard in Liverpool.

I remember a later Dan Dare story where they were building an undersea tunnel ala the Chunnel and broke open a hollow that unleashed some kind of red jelly lifeforms that instantly devoured anything they touched, leaving only skeletons in seconds. No idea how it ended but it was kinda nightmare fuel when you were just a wee kid going through your (mostly funny) comic pile and coming across something like that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jedit posted:

"What exactly did she say about the police?"
"She said... they were not as good as madness. I did not understand her at the time..."

lmao

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Frog Act posted:

Just wanna shout out for the recommendation re: the 13th floor comics, I just finished the third volume and absolutely loved them. They're so much fun and evince that type of weird class consciousness so typical of British comics emanating from the 2000 AD types, even if it was technically in Lion/Tiger/Scream or whatever.

For real, Max will always have a place in my heart as the One Good Landlord. Maybe could do with turning down his Murder parameters from 90 to 50 but eh. I just love the whole "oh dear, yet another heart attack in the lift, how tragic" shtick.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yo Frog, your posts have been my fav thing in BSS for a while now so keep ‘em coming. Never thought I’d see anyone bring up Buster or the Leopard of Lime Street round here, it’s all stuff I grew up with but is now a half-remembered dream at best.

It’s also shaming me into getting around and trying to pick up a Charley’s War collection at some point because I bounced off it hard as a kid, it was always the most ‘boring’ part of my weekly comics binge, why’s this kid so miserable, [skips to Johnny Red], etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh yeah! One of the very best things about Christmas was deffo ANNUAL TIME! Popping to Smiths and just hoovering up as many as I could, Battle, Eagle, Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Transformers, The Dandy, The Beano, Topper, even the strange, mysterious works of *The Scotch* like Oor Wullie, which weren't generally available down here the rest of the year. There was a Battle annual with my favourite non-Hama Snake Eyes story ever, he gets shot down on a flight home and Destro takes a squad to mop up - it was basically Predator a couple of years before the film came out. And an Eagle annual (I think?) with a kid mates with some kids from outer space in a red & white chequered spaceship, they got a really great artist for the annual story, it just popped amazingly.

Man, I miss annuals, and being excited for Christmas in general.