Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Cool idea, hadn't heard of that Moriarty comic, I think I'll check it out

Anyways I got a recommendation

Title:: Usagi Yojimbo
Publisher: Dark Horse
Brief description: A rabbit samurai wanders feudal Japan and works simultaneously as a bodyguard and a bad rear end.
Why I like it: Apart from being historically accurate, stylistic without being hard to follow, entertaining with enough humour and action to keep you reading even after 200+ issues (some were published by other companies), it is also pretty drat cool. The stories are often self contained and when they aren't they're easy enough to get into and at the same time can tell really detailed and epic (in the true sense of the word) tales. The best example is the grasscutter arc, which I believe is based on real legends.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 141 came out a couple of months ago and was intended as a starting point, but the most recent issue is just as easy to read without back story.

Fair warning, this comic has animal people in it. If you can't get over that, you're not going to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

I never read any of the Dreamwave run, which went only 7 issues. I imagine that would have been the best answer.

The Image run of the turtles was kind of bad, the art really hard to decipher and the stories more violent just for the heck of it. Ironically they are also the only turtles comic I have a complete run of.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

TMNT #25 is pretty loving great and has an awesome reveal that I didn't see coming at all. They've solicited the upcoming Micro-Series issue that centers around Hun, even though he's yet to show up at all. Then in the new issue, Casey's drunk dad has a moment of clarity over his son being hospitalized at the hands of the Foot, punches a mirror, yells, "NO MORE!" tears apart his shirt and we see the giant Purple Dragons tattoo on his back.

:aaa:

TMNT has been consistently entertaining since the first issue and feels different enough from the previous incarnations to be exciting as well. Of course the last page of #25 is good for fans of a certain TMNT.

What I am saying is if you have even a passing interest in the ninja turtles you should be reading the IDW series.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Usagi Yojimbo is a samurai epic that follows a ronin warrior as he travels feudal Japan, offering his services as a bodyguard and getting into trouble fighting for truth, justice and the bushido way. He's also a rabbit, but not in the weird internet way, this is the cool kind of animal dude. The series has been on hiatus for a while (As far as I can tell, the creators wife is seriously ill and he has been taking care of her. Hopefully this news means she is doing better).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/08/usagi-yojimbo-new-series-new-collection-new-omnibus/

A new 6 issue mini series set 20 years in the future (of feudal japan) There is a sci-fi twist. From the description and past interviews with Sakai, this is the War of the Worlds aliens showing up.

They're also releasing 600 page omnibuses which would be a great way to get into the series if it sounds interesting to you.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go cut myself and try not to bleed on the 24 trades that I have as I look longingly at those omnibuses.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

I would say at least the first Ultimate Collection is really solid. Kirkman falls back onto shock and awe more and more as the story goes on.

I think if you can get it when its on sale its well worth it - It has lots of really cool stuff mixed in with some ehhh. It doesn't really go crazy till about issue 90? Even then its usually pretty fun (I really like Allen the Alien and Nolans BFF / Redemption arc stuff, even if it is mixed with rape and a crappy dr dinosaur knock off)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

I think it was less whatever it is you wrote and more "what if superman actually came from an unbelievably advanced militaristic alien race" and went from there. When you take a step back and really look at the book, it's always been about the Viltrumites' campaign of ultimately settling Earth and for a race whose lifespan lasts thousands of years, there's been some huge leaps of forward progress in that story arc.

Its an american version of the saiyan arc of Dragonball Z.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

They're still fighting? It's been days.

Heh.

In other news - Dark Horse has been printing large collected versions of Usagi Yojimbo under the 'saga' banner, starting from volume 8 (although of course its labeled as saga book 1). I haven't got them because I own 1 through 28 already.

The reason it starts at 8 is because 1 to 7 are published via Fantagraphics and I have just seen there is a pre-order for a second printing of the special edition that collects all 7 volumes (Money permitting I will be buying this, even though I own 1 through 7. Mainly because my copy of 1 is a different size to the rest and my 7 is hardback and its setting off my autism/ocd whatever. But the special edition looks really nice so its not a total wash) . So if you like Usagi Yojimbo (or want to try it out!) it looks like its going to be a lot easier to get now.

Also the collected edition of Senso (UY/War of the worlds crossover) is going to be published later this month. Its a good time to be a fan.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the chat thread to drum up awareness - Fantagraphics are doing a collected edition of all of their Usagi Yojimbo, over a 1000 pages in a two paperback slipcase special edition. Its shipping on Tuesday in the UK and the 7th of October in the US (at least thats what it looks like).

If you've heard of him at all hes most likely 1) the rabbit samurai who appeared on the first TMNT cartoon or 2) the rabbit samurai who appeared on the second TMNT cartoon. In actuality hes a creator owned character who has a monthly comic title that is very long running. How long running? This special edition contains the first 7 books of about 6 issues each, or about 42 individual comics (all of the stories Fantagraphics has the reprint rights for I assume). Dark horse, who has the reprint rights to all of the other Usagi books is on volume 29, or roughly 174 issues of one continuous setting (its actually over 200, but i'm not sure exactly how that works out).

Why should you care? Because the series is fantastic. The stories are well told, the characters are endearing, the setting is interesting and the art is effective. It is, and always has been, one of the best monthly comic book titles published. It is certainly the best comic book about a rabbit who is also a samurai, and if you can dig that you will dig this series.

EDIT: The gist of the series is this - Feudal Japan, but everyone is an animal. Usagi is a masterless samurai who wanders the land, offering his service as a bodyguard / occasionally collecting bounties. This isn't a cutesy animal comic book, but the highly stylized depiction of death (lots, and lots of death) makes it a suitable read for pretty much anyone.

Now this special edition might be a little pricey for people new to this series. Luckily while stories benefit from you having read those that come before, each story stands on its own very well. So the cheapest way to find out if you would like this series is to find an issue of the monthly comic book and read it. Dark Horse have started adding a title to each issue to let you know if it is part of a longer story. The latest issue, for example, is 148 "The one-armed swordsman part 1 of 1". Its a good story, even if I tend to prefer the longer multi-issue ones.

So yeah, Usagi Yojimbo. Check it out.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 17, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Horse has lost Usagi Yojimbo to IDW.
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1099015016777342977

edit: Why are all the comments bugging them about a TV show?

I believe IDW do a tv show called Wyonna Earp, maybe it has something to do with that? As far as I know the comics rights are separate from everything else because I heard that a stop motion company had feature film rights.

IDW are doing colour reprints of the entire series, which gives me an excuse to increase the size of my already too large Usagi space.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Hmmm all color Usagi reprints? I might be interested in that.

Yeah, I was on the fence about getting the saga editions (since I already own the individual volumes) but I have no problem shelling out for all new coloured books. Especially if they're IDW hardcovers, the TMNT ones are fantastic.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

It deserves far more credit. Also the creator of one is a raging lunatic and the creator of the other is one of the kindest people on the planet by all accounts.

Usagi Yojimbo gets plenty of credit. If you look into all the comics professionals who have praised it, see how many times it gets nominated for awards, how often it is mentioned - you'll see that it is a highly regarded series.

Note that I am not disagreeing with you here. It does deserve far more credit.

Speaking of comparing it to cerebus - it's got to be close to beating Cerbus's record for long run on a comic book series right? Usagi may have been published by 3(soon to be 4) companies but its owned by Sakai and all a single continuity.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Inkspot posted:

Has IDW already republished the TMNT crossovers with both? As much as Usagi Yojimbo is its own thing, and it very much is, IDW snatching up publishing rights to "Leonardo's rabbit friend" seems like a no-brainer.

There is a collection of all the crossover stories but its a joint release with Dark Horse, its called Usagi Yojimbo / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the complete collection.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Oh man... Does this mean I'm in the industry now? Haha suck it losers I'm never posting here again

To be fair Usagis readership is like 5,000 stable readers* or so - not exactly setting the world on fire.

*Its probably way higher than that because it doesn't include people like me who don't pick up the monthly and wait until the collected book.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Hey, is Atomic Robo still good? I think the last time I read was Atomic Robo and the Spectre of Tomorrow...or the Temple of the Ood. Whichever came last. I remember it being good, but my comic shop just stopped putting it in my pull list and it caused me to just...forget. Which is weird, but not insane: if you stop getting reminders something exists, it can be easy to forget it ever was. But it just popped into my brain and now I want to see if it is still lit af like I remember.

You can read it online now: http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/archive

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

site posted:

when will the sjw pandering end. is nothing sacred

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1146574670977802241

I am way behind on IDW TMNT but given their track record I fully expect this to work and seem completely natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Fantastic. I really should catch up, but I want to do a big Usagi Yojimbo* reread before (and I also want to do a marathon of a regular book series and rewatch all of Justified so i'm sure i'll squeeze it in somewhere).

Android Blues posted:

I was a little kid at the time (like, really small, and even then it was re-runs I think?) but I liked Venus. Her whole thing was that she'd trained under Splinter's mystic pen pal and learned shinobi magic, and I thought it was cool that there was a) a girl turtle and b) a magic turtle. In retrospect, though, her character design was really awful. The fact that she has weird shell boobs is just very silly.

The only thing I know is that they stressed hard that the tmnt aren't biologically family (so that Venus could be a potential love interest to one of them) and that shinobi is literally japanese for ninja and thats kind of funny,

*Everyone should read Usagi Yojimbo. There's a new number 1 out thats a fantastic jumping on point. Go do that.