Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I adore each volume of Saga as it comes it but also feel vaguely annoyed by it, I think y'all are touching on this feeling with the comments about smugness. It's still witty and gorgeous and more fun than most other comics I've seen, but drat is it impressed with itself.

I'm catching back up on Deadly Class and read a scene about "superhero detox," I need to embrace the alternatives/indies harder than I have capes. Lady Killer, Bitch Planet, The Kitchen, Groo, Letter 44, The Woods, Wytches, Trees, Mind MGMT, Southern Bastards, Wicked + The Divine, Lumberjanes, Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland... all aces.

East of West and Pretty Deadly have left me cold, though. I'll hold out for them in library trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read the first seven issues of Trees, is it Warren Ellis's lost script repository or what? Err, I mean, do the threads tie together soon? The trees have meant gently caress all while Ellis remakes the world in his dialog.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I should clarify my question, because I can see where I sounded too much like Milhouse demanding why Itchy & Scratchy weren't at the fireworks factory...

The Trees being in the background of the different stories' world is fine by me; what I want to know is, have the different story threads gone anywhere more interesting than they did in the first seven issues? Or combined at all?

Separately: even when Deadly Class's dialog/ultraviolence are a little too over the top for me, the art (colors & layouts especially) is so loving gorgeous that I can overlook anything else. Such a pleasure to read, every issue.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got caught up on Descender issues 2 and 3 last night. Jeff Lemire can keep laying down story rails for naive/damaged snowflakes and I won't get tired of it, especially when Dustin Nguyen's nailing the art so well.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The first arc of Lady Killer (issues 1-5) wrapped up last week, and it's been a great time.
There're hints of more stories to come, and I hope Joelle Jones keeps it going (with Laura Allred still on colors if at all possible).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BigRed0427 posted:

Everyone should be reading Bitch Planet.

Five issues in, still going strong, including the bonus essays.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Paper Girls was fun and beautiful and I already want more, but part of me can't help but think it's engineered for maximum appeal:

-80s nostalgia
-Apple reference
-teenage girls who swear - sassier Lumberjanes?

I'm waiting for the deluge of i09, Kotaku, Mary Sue, Comics Alliance articles declaring it the Best Thing Ever, and I won't disagree with them, I just want to know Vaughan's rank in the illuminati, because it seems to be the equivalent of "Ernest Cline with talent."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's briefly about entering Assassin School and hits its stride as Grungy Adolescent Allegory With Violence To Keep Things Lively.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Monstress is the fantasy I've been waiting for, and with a triple-length first issue, it's already in my top single issues of the year. Good god I hope it can keep this quality up.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My annoyances with Saga come partly from the emotional manipulation but also from what are now clearly Vaughan-isms. A character's feelings are allowed to disrupt the plot or others' motivations if they shout 'gently caress.' Narration from the future-girl will always be presented as Chicken Soup For Saga's Soul and unquestionably true. Fiona Staples's art will keep bailing out BKV's apparent lack of interest in layout - giant splash page with a quip, please! I used to read about BKV deferring to the talents of Staples at cons and think cool, a writer who can share the credit, but now it's clear she's keeping the ship afloat. I also remember reading a claim about a dragon sucking its own dick several months ago and thinking it was a metaphor, then read that trade and lost all interest in the story. The cast used to lively and unpredictable, now they're just a bunch of mopey assholes who keep using "my BABY" to justify dire measures.

Two issues into Paper Girls, I'm worried all the same problems will emerge. Save us, Chiang... you're our only hope.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Admittedly, my reading of Thief of Thieves was tainted by the perception that it was written to be optioned, but even so, I found it fairly boring (after reading the first two trades). So many portions of the script are begging to be punched up in the pie-in-the-sky AMC adaptation. It is a comic about thieves, with all the tropes that includes, and I jumped ship rather than expect it to get better.

Completely agreed with above posters that Kirkman is fun to read when he's handling fun characters; when he tries to write serious adults everything just turns sluggish and dull. The Walking Dead has been trudging through "someone please give us a deserving rear end in a top hat to murder" territory for a long while now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Autumnlands is what Hinterkind wishes it was. Animal races, magic gone wrong, a barbarian human unleashed... I like it all except the human, really. Excellent artwork. AV went a bit far to rank it #1, but it's a strong series.
Monstress #2 already cements Monstress as better, in my opinion.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I don't read Island because Brandon Graham, while making things I like, has super weird and questionable taste. There's like two comics in it I find interesting and the rest are viscerally not my poo poo. It's sad because I'd like to see more anthologies but it's hard to justify shelling out the price of two or three other comics for like a dozen pages of something I want.

Same thing goes for Dark Horse Presents too, but Onta definitely doesn't help.

I'm not sure what is and is not your poo poo, but I get a kick out of Vertigo's quarterly anthologies, CMYK (now in trade) and SFX (which just wrapped up). Strange Sports Stories was also a good time.
Hooray, anthologies! :)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mind MGMT is the bomb, Kindt is the bomb, agreed that he and Venditti are somehow forced to suck by DC (even if I like Venditti's Green Lantern).

Early Tynion at DC burned me too, but The Woods and his more recent DC have turned me around on him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I am all-in with Monstress and it is one of my favorite comics of the year so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Woooo, IDW domination this week!
Right? Anyone else picked up good indies this week?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comixology's Image sale is bringing the Rick Remender love to everyone for $1 an issue.
I'm all about some Deadly Class, Low, and Black Science, so should I dive into Tokyo Ghost?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

READ MORE BALTIMORE-- I mean, yeah, all that good Dark Horse stuff is in this thread so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This thread includes Dark Horse and Avatar, eh?
What luck! Comixology started a sale of Dark Horse's Avatar: The Last Airbender comics, and they're all good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finally getting into Cry Havoc and oh my drat is it good. Spurrier's time-bending narrative methods continue to mature, and he's got a small army of talented artists backing him up.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IUG posted:

I haven't read it yet, but "over"? Like, that's the last issue?

Miniseries is over, Fairbairn's got to maintain his reign over Colorist Mountain.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

I thought the rebel Queen Jordie had dethroned him?

Exactly! He's gotta get back to a million projects at a time if he wants the ten pounds of gold.

Spoiler talk for:

Lake of Fire
What was the point of having the girl laser-blast the doorway shut in the face of Old Bastard Knight's last stand in #4 if OBK ends up having a last stand anyway in the very next issue? Still a lovely miniseries, I just felt like the ending was stretched out somewhat.

The Fix
First Captain America is evil, now he kills an adorable, loyal beagle? If Pretzels is truly done for, then gently caress Nick Spencer.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can't wait for Image Day on 2/1 to remind me why not to pay full price for comics, ever.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baltimore is BACK, baby!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pretty Deadly vol 1 left me pretty confused, but vol 2 is deviously good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They can't be worse than Surgeon X.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Every time someone does a deep dive into Invincible, they come back with new reasons for me to never start.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

and everyone just kidding around until someone says gently caress and then you know something serious is happening.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vaughan is a goddamn king whenever he shakes his Lost-isms like jumping from one unsolved mystery to another while still leaving breadcrumbs as if things will eventually get resolved. These Paper Girls are making me salty!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jesus Christ, Fantagraphics

I'll be the first to bemoan creative bankruptcy among most licensed properties, but rolling off a list of titles then transitioning to entire companies who've got good stuff on the shelves makes TCJ look like QVC.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Two issues in, the real villain of Wasted Space is the artists' deadline. Same goes for Vagrant Queen. C'mon and rock the visuals, Vault! More like Deep Roots, please!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I Hate Image Comics was a great FCBD spinoff. Something about playfully taking the piss out of their bestsellers felt good... like an Emmys opening where the host roasts all the prestige series.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

angel opportunity posted:

I also forgot to mention that I read like...70% of Monstress volume 1 in the store without buying it. I got bored of it and didn't even want to finish it. It was probably the comic I've enjoyed least since I started. The main character was totally flat and didn't go anywhere aside from her "monster inside" thing. The art looked nice on the surface, but in practice I didn't feel it was doing much of anything as I read. There were also certain panels where the drawings just looked lazy or poorly done. The exposition dumps between issues were really bad and I didn't want to read them, but forced myself to since it was important information. The world building seems strong on the surface, but when you really look into it, it's very sparse and haphazard. Just really didn't like this!

Are you sure about the exposition dumps? Because I've loved all three volumes out so far and generally skip the dumps, and I haven't felt lost at all. YMMV but I'm all about some Monstress.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Has anyone tried out TKO's miniseries?
I've read the first issues and all of them were interesting. Curious which ones can stick the landing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank you, Invisible Kingdom, for replacing Saga in my heart.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Support your LCS, get two free advance digital issues from Vault:

https://twitter.com/thevaultcomics/status/1242828046823878656?s=19

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Autumnal seeming to repeat The Plot's thematic successes. Thanks, Vault Comics!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There's a huge loose thread there - did someone invite both of them to the same Halloween party?

Wtf at "when she hits him it's domestic abuse, when he pushes her down some steps into an injury it's a poor decision."

I agree about people deserving a second chance, I also agree it's okay to read about someone's lovely behavior and decide individually to not support their art anymore. I hope they both find something more meaningful in their lives than inflicting pain on others and themselves.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dawgstar posted:

Bizarre. That seems like very Clueless Exec because the comics are hardly going to encroach on a movie's take home.

This reminds me of Marvel supposedly putting their Fantastic Four comics on hiatus to spite Fox's movie at the time, when the smarter play probably would've been to put out some A+ Fantastic Four comics to make the crappy movie look that much worse and cause people to associate Fantastic Four with Marvel's version that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1419691351743008768?s=19

Comixology is an anaconda that will devour comics slowly and poop it out as a subscription service.

This would be more upsetting if they didn't pay good rates and actually deliver their titles.