Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know Chris Roberson writes some of the Dynamite pulp comics. I always like his work, but haven't read any of his Dynamite stuff, so I'm sad to hear it doesn't seem to be that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm also curious about Powers. It's a series I wanted to read for a while but just haven't gotten around to yet.

Is anyone else reading Satellite Sam? I'm torn, I like the author, and I really want to like it based on the premise, but so far at least it's just not clicking for me. I'll give it a few more issues (whenever the first storyline ends, I guess, assuming it's done in a clear storyline format - and I don't think it's just a mini, is it?) but just going by first issue, Sex Criminals is a much more enjoyable book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Got around to reading Satellite Sam 4 and I'm considering dropping it. I'm usually a Matt Fraction fan but this just isn't doing it for me. I think there are too many plotlines that don't seem like they're intersecting (although I think I can see where at least some of them will join up, and I don't think it's all too subtle how), but more than that most of them are kind of boring, and the way the dialogue is written whenever there are more than two people talking is really jumbled. I think I'll hold out through next issue and if there isn't some big light from heaven that converts me, that's it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Amazon has it for five bucks used, which is probably a good price to spend on it (although I suppose with shipping it's more). I liked it, but I agree it's nothing hugely profound.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm bailing on Satellite Sam. There was some big twist/revelation at the end of the latest issue, and I realized that I still didn't know what character it was supposed to be referencing, how the main character got to that conclusion, what was motivating most characters or how their stories all tie together, but worst of all, I really just didn't care at all.

Still think the book has a great premise, but the execution is terrible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really wasn't a fan of the Brian Wood Star Wars title. He has some really weird characterization of the movie characters, big plot events that happen offscreen and/or aren't explained in a satisfactory way, other plotlines that are dragged out way too long with no real resolution (Han and Chewie on Coruscant for like half the series) and, though this is completely subjective, a number of his concepts have been done elsewhere in the expanded universe and his take wasn't really unique or interesting enough for me to enjoy seeing it yet again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrFlibble posted:

A new 6 issue mini series set 20 years in the future (of feudal japan) There is a sci-fi twist. From the description and past interviews with Sakai, this is the War of the Worlds aliens showing up.

Haha, really? That's such a bizarre twist for that series. Also, I feel like that particular topic has been used a lot at Dark Horse...guess a lot of their writers are fans of the author.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read the first issue of Low. It's an interesting premise. Not sure what I think so far but I think it has the promise to either really hook me or completely lose my interest. I think the key for me at least will be in how the world he's set up is explored/revealed.

zelah posted:

Finishing up the last few Dark Horse Star Wars titles has been a bummer due to how much I've enjoyed most of them.

The Star Wars (the George Lucas rough draft adaptation) isn't so hot, but might be worth checking out if you love the universe and want to see an alternate path it could have taken. Brian Wood's Star Wars and Legacy v2 were both outstanding though. The Brian Wood book dealt with the big 3 characters and doesn't go too crazy, but Legacy stars a non-force user living 150ish years after the movies. I think they're putting out the final TPBs between now and October, and those last two are definitely worth picking up.

It'll be interesting to see what Marvel does with their titles, since they seem to take place at the same time Brian Wood's book did and might deal with similar topics, like Leia dealing with the loss of Alderaan.

I loved the Lucas draft Star Wars just because it was great to actually "see" what his original vision would have been like (a worse movie overall, but a lot more like an out-there 70's scifi in tone) and also to see how so much stuff from the rest of the five movies came from the stuff cut from the original script. Especially ROTJ and TPM clearly drew a lot from it.

Brian Wood's series sucked, though. The characterization and plot made no sense, not when looked at in relation to the movies or the rest of the EU or to other issues within the comic, it had ridiculous plot jumps, and huge set-ups were then just resolved offscreen in an offhanded comment, or characters just announcing out of the blue they were leaving.

I do think it's clear that Marvel is intending their new series to basically continue on from the major current Dark Horse series (their "Star Wars" title is basically the exact same premise of the Wood Star Wars title, and their Darth Vader title also continuing on from Dark Horse's Star Wars run). Marvel also just announced that they did buy the rights to the Dark Horse comics and are going to be reprinting them as oversized "Epic Legends" collections. The first one is going to be the immediate post-ROTS comics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Martello posted:

I just finished Before The Incal and The Incal, after the big expensive hardcovers sat on my bookshelf for a year or so. I'm confused by both of them. Am I supposed to like them? If so, how? The IT WAS ALL A DREAM ending of both volumes was pretty terrible and felt like a kick in the balls, the story in general is meandering and too bizarre for my tastes, and the dialogue is terrible. I know it's translated from French, so maybe Humanoids just has terrible translators. Has anyone read it in the original French and can speak to the dialogue quality? I really liked Metabarons (I also have the giant expensive hardcover of that), and while the dialogue in there was kinda weird and stilted, it somehow worked a lot better than in The Incal.

That's a shame, I've known about The Incal vaguely for a while, but after watching Jodorowsky's Dune I was really interested in reading it. Maybe I'll just save my money for Metabarons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't imagine how Baltimore would exist in the same canon, since the premise seems to be that World War I stopped due to literally everyone in Europe dying from plague and/or vampires. I've only read the first couple Baltimores though, so not sure if this gets expounded on any further in the series.

And I'll also say, I think I actually liked what I've read of Baltimore more than (again, the admittedly little) I've read of Hellboy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Saga, but I think it's steadily improved since it began. And I also think Y was better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I also just finished Y: The Last Man. Goddamn it, 355. :smith:

The last issue of Y is probably my favorite series finale issue of any comic.

I especially love how Yorick talks about how before growing up, you need to take the time to enjoy playing with cowboys and spacemen and robots, and it clicking on me that he's actually referencing stuff he did indeed do from the series.

Also, while I think that Y is a comic that actually would make a good movie series, I'm really glad the attempt to film it with Shia LaBeouf at Yorick fell apart.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

redbackground posted:

I had completely forgotten that the new LEOG: Nemo HC (River of Ghosts) came out, so that was a pleasant surprise when I saw it on the racks this week. Much less action this time around, but does a good job of bringing the story of Janni, her ancestry, and her legacy, to a satisfying end.

Annotations here.

Completely forgot there was going to be a third of these. Really liked the first two, have to swing by my comics shop and hope they have one. Last one that came out they didn't even bother ordering one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the first two issues of Southern Cross. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm still not sure what to feel about it. It kind of reminds me of an 80s/90s anime in the form of a Western comic.

Crossed +100 also continues to be really good, I loved the Muslim community from the latest issue and how Fewch's interest in old sci-fi is tied in with the narrative. It's also super creepy to me, mainly from the sense of dread I get whenever the Crosseds' training videos are shown and you just know something absolutely terrible is being built up to.

Also Moore is next going to be writing a biographical comic of HP Lovecraft called Providence? I'm definitely in for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of Ellis, I recently saw a hardcover collection of both Ocean and Orbiter in one volume, are either or both of those comics good?

I liked Orbiter, but it is a bit odd and I don't know if I'd call it amazing. It's kind of a combination of cosmic/Cronenberg type horror with this Star Trek TOS type optimism about space exploration.

I haven't read Ocean but it's been on my two-read list for a while. Really, I feel like Ellis's sci-fi one shots I've read have all been at the least decent enough to warrant the purchase.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the first few issues of Low but then missed some and haven't caught up. It reminded me a lot of 1930s Golden Age sci-fi.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Brian K. Vaughan is writing a electronic-only issue of The Walking Dead. So I guess The Walking Dead is going to finally get a good issue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read the latest Crossed 100. I love that Beauregard Salt is obviously based on Hari Seldon from Foundation and his training of the Crossed is a hosed up version of Asimov's Psychohistory. I've liked the miniseries from the start, but the last issue or two, it's really gotten good. This may be a dumb question, but... are any of the other Crossed stories worth reading at all, or are they all just an excuse for shock ultraviolence? I have read the very first miniseries, but that's it.

Also just read the second Providence. It's strange, but also a bit interesting, that it's kind of like a parallel Lovecraft... it's obviously using stuff inspired by Herbert West, Shadow Over Innsmouth, and Dreams in the Witch-House, but not directly. I guess so Moore can merge it with his own interests/ideas on occultism. I kind of liked it better when it was just the primary not-Lovecraft character going around listening to people talk about mysticism, rather than actually encountering an occult thing, but still enjoyable so far.

I've also been reading Southern Cross, and am not really enjoying it at all. I was going to definitely drop it, but the psychedelic vision from the end of the latest issue convinced me to give it one more issue. Though I doubt that will really convince me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, I get that it's heavily influenced by Alien and Event Horizon, and feels a bit of the 2000AD comic Leviathan, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything or going anywhere clear in terms of plot or characterization.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, seriously. Y probably has my favorite final issue of any comic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just read Crossed 100 #7 and it was... a bit of a surprise. For some reason i thought it was going to be an 8 issue miniseries all done by Moore, but I guess it's an ongoing and he just did the first arc. In any case I'll stick with it, though hopefully Moore left an idea for where the overall plot would go. The writing was decent enough in this one but already there are a few things that might be signs it just won't be able to sustain itself. Plus I really don't like the new artist.

Providence also continues to be really enjoyable. Not sure where the plot is going but I'm really enjoying "Alan Moore reinterprets famous Lovecraft stories." A lot of the Deep One stuff made me laugh from the latest issue. Especially the graffiti of the two Deep Ones high-fiving each other with smiles while double-teaming a woman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CountFosco posted:

Yes, the images which implicated violent rape, necrophilia, and paedophilia were super amusing and chuckle-worthy. What jolly fun. It was also enjoyable to witness how the structure of the story associates Jewish victims of the holocaust with actual cannibalistic, rapist, murderous Cthulhu worshipping cultists. What a remarkable provocateur.

Now tell us how you feel about the Nazi imagery in Spaceballs.

Also: there is no rape, necrophilia, or pedophilia in those pictures. There's nothing at all to associate the latter two, and from everything in both the issue and the actual Lovecraft story, there's nothing to indicate the Innsmouth people aren't willing participants. I think there's the one guy in the actual Lovecraft story who doesn't like what the town is doing and if I remember right explicitly states that he didn't take part. And the holocaust imagery is a reference to the fact that the story itself talks about the government putting the Innsmouth people into concentration camps, and the WWII connection has been made plenty of times before Moore did it here.

But man, that Alan Moore, what a loving hack, right?

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 15, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Five issues in, still going strong, including the bonus essays.

I actually don't think Bitch Planet itself is that great, but the essays at the end are way more interesting and worth the price of it on their own.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Faster Than Light has hints that it could lead to an interesting storyline, but two issues in, so far it feels really disjointed. Reading the second issue I almost felt like I was missing issue 1.5. Also the second issue was highly, highly derivative from Alien/Prometheus.

I'm also liking Copperhead. Nothing about it is super striking, but I like the world and characters its built up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I finally read the newest issue of Saga and my immediate reaction was that BKV read Sex Criminals and decided that a transgender storyline was something he could jump the gun on them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed The Walking Dead up until the end of the prison storyline. After that I just felt like it was obvious he had no real ideas or ultimate goal and so just kept the wheel spinning in Alexandria for a few dozen issues while he thought of something. I stopped reading about the time the TV show began because nothing of any interest had happened since the prison.

Plus, this is nothing to do with Kirkman, but Charlie Adlard is a terrible artist and he kept getting worse as the series went on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, definitely think I'll check out Autumnlands, too. It reminds me a bit of the concept of The Magic Goes Away by Larry Niven, which was always one of my favorite fantasy world settings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The narrative of The Big Short is anything but "loose", especially given one of the main characters is explicitly a narrator and characters routinely break the fourth wall to explain how the movie's plot is changing things from what really happened.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

Turns out that there's a crossover with Crossed, which kinda kills my aforementioned boner but I'm still holding out hope that Gillen will surprise me.

What? How could that possibly work?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've only ever read the original Crossed miniseries, but I enjoy Crossed 100. There's a lot to recommend to it - it has an interesting look at a "rebuilt" post-apocalyptic society (a specifically Muslim society at that), I really like its science fiction hook (at least during the initial Alan Moore run, each issue was thematically based on a classic work of science fiction), there are discussions on politics and society, there's an actual conspiracy/detective angle that I find kind of creepy - there is gore and violence, but it's not the focus. There are issues with no actual Crossed, and a big plot aspect is if the Crossed can ever overcome their nature.

With the caveat that I stopped reading The Walking Dead a few years ago, I don't think I'd really compare it. There's a lot more focus on the societal aspects in Crossed 100, and the "horror" factor isn't really "watch these guys get torn apart by mutants/zombies" but "I don't know what's actually going on here, but every hint just makes it creepier and creepier to imagine what the end game is going to be."

So I guess the TLDR is, as someone who got tired of The Walking Dead and has no real interest in the Crossed series prior, I like Crossed 100.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Providence and I like Lovecraft but the supplemental diary entries at the end of each issue take me like 2-3 times as long to get through as the issue itself.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Cinema Purgatorio, Plutona and 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank.

How is Cinema Purgatorio? I'm kind of curious about it, but doesn't seem to be a lot of noise about it online.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Read the first few issues of Cinema Purgatorio - Moore and Gillen's ones are good of course, I even like Max Brooks' "Gettysburg meets Them!" story, the others don't really grab me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read Kill or Be Killed #1, and enjoyed it a lot. Though I skipped the Devin Faraci bit at the end, though I guess I can't technically hold that against the comic proper.

The only other Ed Brubaker things I've read was The Man Who Laughs and the first volume of Gotham Central, what are his best works considered to be? Are Criminal and Fatale good?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Space Fish posted:

READ MORE BALTIMORE-- I mean, yeah, all that good Dark Horse stuff is in this thread so far.

Baltimore really is surprisingly good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Replica is pretty fun for space cop shenannigans.

WHERE'S ISSUE #6 :cry:

I liked Copperhead for space sheriff shenanigans, the author promises it's eventually going to come back but by now, kind of losing hope.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the John Carter comics that were coming out a year or two before the Disney movie (I remember Disney trying to sue Dynamite to stop the series because they were having Marvel print their own tie-in) and some of them were pretty good. I like that they did a prequel set in the distant past of Barsoom about the construction of the Atmosphere Plant, a shorter-term prequel where Dejah Thoris was the main character, and a crossover with Gullivar of Mars, all things that were using the source material in more interesting ways than just "John Carter keeps killing Tharks".

Brian Wood is kind of scuzzy but I'll still pick this up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kim Newman announced he's doing a five-issue comic story spinoff of his Anno Dracula novels for Titan Comics next year. I love Newman, so can't wait for this.

https://johnnyalucard.com/2016/10/28/an-anno-dracula-comic-miniseries-is-due-from-titan-comics-next-year/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neurosis posted:

enjoyed the hell out of the goddamned. sure it's nothing particularly new in concept or, for the most part, execution (some relatively novel ideas - the antediluvian, nihilistic setting has more in common with post-apocalyptic settings than antiquarian ones) , but it's just a really enjoyable, visceral and dark antihero story. i'll look forward to the next arc.

I read the first few issues, need to catch up on the rest. It reminded me a lot of the way the movie Noah approached the pre-Flood world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Honestly the back matter is the best part of Bitch Planet by far. I find the comic itself to be pretty scattered.