Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

arinlome posted:

Title: Locke & Key
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.

Rodriguez was a terrible choice though, he doesn't suit it at all.

e: To expand on this, he's a fine storyteller but the cartooniness and clean inks don't jibe well with the horror beats. Fotos does a fine job with the colours though.

LCQC fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Title:: Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware
Publisher: Pantheon Books
Brief description: Jimmy Corrigan is the semi-autobiographical story of a man's relationship and reunion with his estranged father, and that father's childhood and relation to his own father. Won the Guardian Prize in 2001.
Why I like it: Jimmy Corrigan is a total sucker-punch. It's an emotionally honest, and sharp, story about dads (and the lack thereof) and family. If you have a dad, or don't, or have any emotions about father figures in your life you'll find something here. Graphically, its in landscape format, expect clean lines, dark colours and innovative panelling. It's really a unified work, think Dan Clowes or Chester Brown, its all one man, and it all fits together.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Its all in a nice thick giant postcard format, here, or in this crazy thing.

LCQC fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 16, 2012

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Burn every one of those books.

Buy King City.