Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Soonmot posted:

God drat, is Prophet a weird loving book. I cannot wait until there's a few more issues in the can and I can read them straight through. This is wonderful.

I absolutely love this Prophet reboot but I have what might be a stupid question: is there any clue what to expect in future issues? With this week's issue, the current arc/John Prophet finished pretty conclusively. Are we going to have the further adventures of various John Prophet clones? I've only read a couple issues of the original series so I don't really have any clue where it went the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

al-azad posted:

God, dammit. What about Orc Stain, Stokoe? Don't make me wait another year!

For real, the existing wait is pretty much unbearable; but then again, Stokoe and Godzilla as a combo makes so much sense I'm surprised it's not an April Fool's joke.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is Icon-stuff okay for this thread? There are several Vertigo titles, so what the hell, here we go anyways.

Title: Casanova
Publisher: Image (first two volumes)/Icon (current)
Brief description: Casanova Quinn is a thief, a rogue spy and the son of Cornelius Quinn, head of the globe-trotting spy organization E.M.P.I.R.E. (Extra-Military Police, Intelligence, Rescue, and Espionage). When his twin sister & top E.M.P.I.R.E. agent Zephyr is killed in action, he attends the funeral, fights with his father, breaks the space-time continuum, lands in a different timeline and teams up with the evil Newman Xeno (leader of W.A.S.T.E. - an acronym too dark to be revealed) to infiltrate E.M.P.I.R.E. as a double agent.
Why I like it: First of all, the art is by done by the incredible Gabriel Bá (Umbrella Academy, Daytripper). Super-stylized and hyper, IMO this is his best work and the story matches his style perfectly. Secondly, but honestly matching the greatness of the artwork, is Matt Fraction's writing. I'm a casual fan of his Marvel output, but this is just fantastic, with utterly bizarre characters thrust into even weirder situations than span multiple timelines. Each issue is super-dense without being needlessly confusing. It's amusing without being outright humerous, like an acid-trip version of James Bond. It has everything really; giant mechs, ninjas, cavemen, goofy high-tech contraptions, and a trio of midget buddhas who merge to form a floating head. It's fantastic enough to entertain Superhero fans but so off-kilter it's really aimed more at those disillusioned with the genre. It's a pretty "hip" comic, and while usually that kind of thing bugs me as a reader, I can't get enough of it here. It never feels a step behind the times like so many other embarrassingly "cool" comics do.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: The first volume Casanova: Luxuria is a must, the second and current third volumes build and expand on the craziness found in the first. They're only four issues long each, and available on ComiXology if you read digitally.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bairfanx posted:

You want silly? Go read the last 4 issues of Prophet and you'll be jonesin' for more. That's an Image comic originally created by Rob loving Liefeld.

I could read a new issue of Prophet every day for the rest of my life. What a great comic. Everyone should be up on this.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone else reading Bulletproof Coffin have a "reading order" for the last issue? After looking at everything there's surely a few loose narratives amongst the panels, but I'm not smart enough to piece them together.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shageletic posted:

Uh, maybe there isn't one? There is the through-line with Steve, and something about a meteorite landing among monkey-men that stalk his dreams or something, but I just enjoyed it as a discombobulated dream like narrative. Everything is cool and interesting in only one panel bytes. Really fun read.

Yeah I enjoyed it as laid-out, but looking through it again it seems as though most of the panels are actually from a handful of scenes that have been reordered so as to disrupt any sense of narrative. That coupled with the pedigree of this book and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was more to it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Soonmot posted:

I still have no loving idea what is going on in Prophet, but it just keeps getting better.

After I read this week's issue, ComiXology tweeted a summary of the plot and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Like it was a different comic or something.

It's maybe my favorite book right now.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Gavok posted:

Irredeemable ended this week and I'm not sure if the ending should make me think, "That's cute," or, "Hahaha, really?"

I want to cast my vote for "Hahaha, really?". I was so stoked on Irredeemable for the first twenty-something issues, but by the time they introduced the parents I was pretty over it, and when the triplet showed up I was only staying on because I knew it was ending relatively soon. The series had so much promise, and I'm not sure if it just went on too long or Waid took it in the wrong direction. For awhile it was absolutely incredible though, and while I was hoping the end would somehow redeem it :rimshot:, unfortunately IMO it almost made the series into a joke. And not a particularly interesting one at that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

al-azad posted:

I like the concepts and characters behind MP but I have no idea where it's going. We've gone from WWII to alien contact. All the characters are pretty hosed up in an interesting way but there's no overarching plot or point to the story, just a framework for the ensemble cast.

That's the appeal IMO. It's this crazy group of geniuses in an alternate reality, doing whatever Hickman dreams up. If it falls into a traditional comic-book narrative structure I'm out.

And I would agree that it's almost nothing like Planetary. Even the first issue I don't see the comparison.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Six AM posted:

Graham is only doing 12 issues of Prophet

Thanks for ruining my day. :(

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Six AM posted:

MP is a great book, but that art is doing everything possible to bring it down a bit. I do like that Hickman is standing behind his boy, though. That is really cool in what sounds like a shameless rear end industry if you pay too much attention to the big two, especially DC.

Man I love the art in Manhattan Projects, I would even say it adds to the story more than anything Hickman has done. A lot of times I feel his writing is "out there" while the artwork is standard to sub-standard (on some of his more independent stuff). That might be an unpopular opinion, but it seems like the perfect fit for his off-kilter style IMO.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Just a reminder: make sure you pick up Godzilla: The Half Century War today. If only to see what James Stokoe has been doing instead of giving us Orc Stain :mad:

If anything is gonna take him away from Orc Stain, Godzilla has got to be the best possible alternative. ComiXology has been releasing digital single issues of Sullivan's Sluggers ahead of it's print run; it's been a fun read so far and of course the art is divine.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

gogisha posted:

Just wanted to make sure you all are reading Manhattan Projects since with each issue it just gets crazier and crazier. I read an interview with Hickman saying he specifically didn't plan much in the series and it definitely shows the fun carefree attitude that implies. I don't even really care if the story is going to a specific conclusion, the rides been so fun it's been worth it alone.

My favorite part of the note in this issue is where he says "things get completely nuts starting next issue".

Things got nuts about seven issues ago. :lsd:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Unfit For Space posted:

Thank you!

For some reason, the iPad app wanted to charge me for it so I had to go to the website to get it. Does comiXology often do really short sales like this that don't hit the mobile apps?

This "12 Days of Free Comics" sale is web-only. Most sales are available in-app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bigmike posted:

Yeah, fair enough, it does make Apple look really inconsistent on this, although Apple still doesn't strike me as doing this from a place of homophobia - but that's just my personal opinion.

Tim Cook is one of the most powerful openly gay men in America (and possibly the world). It's definitely not a deliberate inconsistency.

Luckily it's easy enough to work around for those of us who read Saga digitally.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

That looks awesome, does he have any plans to make it available digitally?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BioTech posted:

Yup, it started out completely normal but then dead characters came back as cyborgs, Rick got a bazooka hand or something, Aliens arrived, it went nuts.

What issue was this? I have the compendiums and don't remember that at all.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Teenage Fansub posted:

I only read the digital Previews list for the shipping thread and it's already gross with just the titles and covers. Apparently I'm missing all sorts of sexy book previews and ads from the printed version!

edit: I'd love to meet the folks who keep those alive.

Where can I buy Digital Previews? Last time I was on their site it kept giving me the run-around on how to actual purchase it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yeah I guess there's little need to shell out for a digital replica of the print copy considering what they have online. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
As a Transformers snob, Tom Scioli is about the only thing that could make me want to buy a book about Go-Bots.

edit: the fact he calls it a "passion project" even makes me like him a little less. Perhaps it has to do with his tease that Transformers might be involved somehow.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 21, 2018