Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

arinlome posted:

Title: Locke & Key
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.

I just bought the first four hardcover volumes of this and after reading the first one, I'm not really feeling it. It's just, the first volume is named "Welcome to Lovecraft", and there's very little that's actually Lovecraftian about it. But my main problem is that I'm not into the art; everyone has huge chins and the designs are off-putting to me. I'd be able to get over it if it was a good horror story, but I don't think the first volume was at all.

I hope it gets better, at least.

Edit: Read the second volume and it's growing on me. Very imaginative and funny. I still don't think there's much of any sort of horror going on here, though. It reminds me of a Joss Whedon-esque story more than anything.

Edit the second: Volume 3 was outstanding. Just really well-written and gripping. Too bad they threw out most of that stuff in vol. 4; the first half was really dumb, just lame monster-of-the-week crap where nothing of import happened. It got good again about 3/4ths of the way through, but it felt like wasted potential. Man, that's a bummer, because 3 really was fantastic. The collected vol. 5 isn't out 'till June, so I'll have to wait a bit, but I definitely think Locke and Key is worth reading. Just don't expect a consistent masterpiece.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just noticed The Fall of Cthulhu from Boom! on Comixology. Anyone know if it's any good? I'd like to read some (actual) Lovecraftian comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up the first issue of Saga and I'm not in love with it (why does everyone talk like they're a GBS poster?). I want to like it, though - does it dramatically improve after the first issue?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The dialogue, mostly. It tries way too hard to be casual and "real" when no one in the history of the universe has actually talked like that, ever. I don't know, it's ultimately not that big a deal, but it takes me out of it - it's like Vaughan is trying to out-snark Whedon.

But besides that, the story just didn't do much for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, no, I gave the rest of the issues a shot, and I don't think it's for me. It's not even that the tone bothers me, I just don't think it's as funny or clever as it clearly wants to be, and as a result I find the characters to be really obnoxious. A shame.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've never heard of Girls, but it totally sounds like a Junji Ito story. Is it at all similar?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I totally dismissed the series out of hand when I saw that Comixology only had issue #23 and up. gently caress if I'm jumping into a series midway. So, yeah, that seems like a bad decision.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I looked up some of the old Liefeld Prophet issues, and it's like, why are they even the same series, let alone numbered sequentially? If I were those guys, I wouldn't even want to be associated with that X-tream 90's bullshit. It's baffling.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 21, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

I can't make up my mind whether I really like Saga or not. It's one of the few series I'm now following on a per issue basis, so that I obviously like it somewhat, but there are just some things that piss me off about this series. I like the weird and fresh setting, the mashup of technologies and fantasy elements. In the back of one issue it's mentioned that someone got pissed off because there was an ATM in a scifi setting or something - I'm not one of those people. What I have a problem with are the characters. The forced plotline with the sex-slave girl and the merciless bounty hunter who suddenly has a heart is one thing. It's just overdone and stale. The super srs 'pledge' made by Marko of not committing violence which is broken only a few pages later is another. (Oh wow, such tension! Character building! Drama!) Hell, I had problems from the very start. A regular, human-sized being gives birth to a human-sized baby and immediately just starts running from some bad guys? Come the gently caress on. You'll have to throw in some fantasy explanation for that poo poo. It suffers overall in the same way as Y: The Last Man did. The main male protagonist is just insufferable. Some might find these characters lovable goofs - I just can't wait for them to be killed off.

I pretty much agree. I found it to be insufferable right from the get go despite an interesting setiing with great art. Everything about the characters and story is a huge turn-off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hadji murad posted:

This is why people should buy via the web not the app.

It's cheaper and easier via the web, too (if you aren't using US currency, anyway).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kasonic posted:

I'm not big into comic books. Walking Dead fan.

The general TV show community consensus is that the comic goes to poo poo after the Woodbury/Prison arc is over. I've read the complete series summary on their wiki, and while the start of the Alexandria arc does sound a bit dull, I don't see a huge problem with it other than losing so much of the original cast. What do you guys think?

I still like it a lot, but I can see how people who read in on a monthly basis might get sick of it. I've done it myself since summer and I think I'm going to stop and start waiting for hardcovers again. It just doesn't read well in small bites.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gogisha posted:

It's really funny how by now I like the characters so much that when Oppenheimer said "I'm going to eat you" I was completely on his side in an anti-hero kinda way. It's great how loose and unpredictable the series is and I really hope the art (which I think is great) doesn't keep more people from reading it.

That's actually the primary reason I haven't read it. It's a bad excuse, I know, especially since I like Hickman, but I really do find the art to be incredibly off-putting. I realize it isn't technically deficient, but it actively repulses me.

Edit: I suppose I have no room to talk, since I've been reading BOOM's Fall of Cthulhu, volume 2 of which has some of the worst, most amateurish art I've ever seen in a purchaseable comic book. I got over myself and bought the first MP collection.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 18, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

You are missing out on one of the best comics being put out, then. The art totally works for the series--give it another shot.

I did! I'm going to read it tonight.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Orc Stain dead or something? Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but I just got into it and it's... it's loving incredible.

I found a solicitation that says the next issue is out in june, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Len posted:

Godzilla is what turned me on to Stokoe. From there I caught up on Orc Stain and read Sullivan's Sluggers. That guy can draw gorgeous things.

Seriously, the only other comics artists that come to mind with such an immaculate attention to detail and are packing so much visual creativity are Kentaro Miura and Don Rosa, and Stokoe is like a mixture of both. His artwork is already loving legendary. I only started Orc Stain this week and it's one of the best comics I've ever read. I really hope they put out an oversized hardcover at some point.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 23, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that was a great final issue. It's not often you see fiction try to portray death as an ultimately positive thing and it made me feel a lot better about it ending. Kind of reminded me of The Little Match Girl in a weird way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bowie is the only real character to speak of and she doesn't really have much depth either. The storyline isn't really the point, it's just a font for wildly creative art and insane world building.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Archie comics.

Was an awesome run, yes, you're right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't Mutanimals end with everyone dying? I thought that was pretty funny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Massive #15 is a stunning comic. I have no idea where all of this is going but Brian Wood just altered the entire tone of the story in the best way. Garry Brown's art (with Jordie Bellaire's coloring) is powerful stuff. There are several instances of character expressions with emotions that just explode off the page. Please tell me there's someone else out there reading this! You are my Massive.

I would be reading it if Dark Horse could figure out digital comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

7744 posted:

The reader they use is beyond janky.

That and they aren't even HD. Pass, pass, pass.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

krakagar posted:

Well, YMMV but last time I tried it I couldn't even work out how to use it properly, it was weird about downloading stuff, the filing system is confusing and it randomly deleted stuff. Maybe it's better now though, give it a try and let us know how it goes?

They also don't have any HD comics. Like, at all. I say this a lot, and maybe it's just a big deal to me, but it's inexcusable that they're making you pay the same price for SD comics in 2013. It's a lesser product, straight up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, Pretty Deadly is great. Love the western folklore vibe and the art and character design is outstanding.

Is it supposed to be a monthly series?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up the first issue of Satellite Sam and thought it was utter garbage. I still think Fraction is hugely hit or miss.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Scott Pilgrim (even the movie, too!), but I don't think it's a high bar, either. It's a good comic, but not a classic by any means. I would certainly hope it's not the best thing he ever does.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just went to Comixology and randomly noticed an ad for an Archaia comic named Hacktivist written by Alyssa Milano of all people. Is that... good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, you never know. She has to be talented at something other than acting!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rat Queens isn't coming out frequently enough :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

After seeing ads for it pasted all over the latest episode of the Walking Dead video game, I gotta ask: How is Ghosted?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wanderer posted:

About that. Is Kirkman okay? Like, did he just have a really bad breakup or something?

I paged through the new Invincible today and this is... troubling.

Yeah man, that issue is something else. Like, if you have trouble with gratuitous violence and shock value it's clearly only going to go even further in that direction.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

So I got a copy of the first volume of Invincible over the weekend on an Amazon sale, and it reads pretty good. I saw it mentioned in the first post, and didn't skim too thoroughly because I don't want to spoil myself on anything.

Is it worth getting into? How many volumes are currently out? Is it still ongoing?

Yes, it's still ongoing and it's over 100 issues so you're looking at quite a few volumes. A lot of people here hate Invincible, for mostly understandable reasons. Tonally it's all over the place and Kirkman gets more and more aggressive with shock value and gore.

I don't think it's a great comic; the dialogue is extremely hamfisted and the overall quality fluctuates rapidly, but I still enjoy reading it. The art gets pretty good and it's just a quick, easily digestible page-turner. I'm in the minority here, because I don't mind the violence at all - it's always gratuitous, but rarely do I feel it is pointless. YMMV, but this is probably the most positive critique you're going to get here. I recommend it if you can get a good deal on it (it often goes on sale digitally).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge Gillen/McKelvie fan, I've always thought their books were solid, but unremarkable. The Wicked + The Divine is easily their best work so far. Just a really awesome concept, and the characters are already super fun. Also the only time McKelvie stock faces haven't bothered me at all. This book has a ton of potential.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's insane, but if you still like Star Wars after all this time I'd definitely recommend it just for how loving surreal an experience it is.

I don't know if it's intentional or just the artist being cute, but probably the weirdest part is that Luke Skywalker looks almost exactly like George Lucas if he was in better shape.

Wait... Lucas. Luke. Oh noooooooooooo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm probably a bigger Ellis fan than most people here, and while I wish he'd do some longer run or series again, I am also pretty much just fine with him doing what are essentially comic short stories. He's been on a roll this past year - I even really liked that Avengers GN he did.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

How is Pretty Deadly? Thinkin' about getting that trade. I love Deconnick as a personality and what she's doing to help women in comics, but I thought the few issues I read of Captain Marvel were a snoozefest.

The art is great, but the writing is par for the course for DeConnick, so nothing special.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Adam Strange posted:

Lazarus is a pretty dull comic (like all Rucka, I find)

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who really tried to get into Lazarus but just found it dull as dishwater.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those are rad character designs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I gave it a shot and yeah it did nothing to dissuade my stance on KSD being a really subpar writer. In this case I don't think the art is very good either, so it doesn't have that to fall back on like Pretty Deadly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Did they ever get HD comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Who the gently caress hates Saga?

I do, but I realize I'm waaay in the minority. I just hate the writing, it's way too precious and in love with itself.