Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

angel opportunity posted:

I just got into comics like one month ago and I've read a fair chunk of stuff since starting. I have no interest in any superhero stuff. Here are my impressions of what I read so far:

I'm also interest in checking out Low, East of West, Black Science, and Seven to Eternity.

We seem to like a lot of similar things, and in addition to the ones you mention you might want to check out Hellboy, Black Hammer, and Astro City. They involve superheroes, but not in conventional ways.

Incidentally, there's quite a twist in today's Black Hammer. It's sort of a cliche, but I expect it will be handled in a non-cliched way as I trust Lemire a fair bit.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Anyone else pick up Chelsea Cain's Man-Eaters? It's an interesting concept and pretty amusing if you're into her kind of humour.

Press posted:

Eisner-nominated and New York Times bestselling thriller writer CHELSEA CAIN returns to comics with a new ONGOING SERIES! A mutation in Toxoplasmosis causes menstruating women to turn into ferocious killer wildcats—easily provoked and extremely dangerous. As panic spreads and paranoia takes root, the fate of the world rides on the shoulders of one twelve-year-old girl. Part Cat People, part The Handmaid’s Tale, MAN-EATERS will have everyone talking. From the creative team behind the Eisner-nominated series Mockingbird: writer CHELSEA CAIN, artist KATE NIEMCZYK, colorist RACHELLE ROSENBERG, letterer JOE CARAMAGNA, and joined by LIA MITERNIQUE, KATIE LANE, and STELLA GREENVOSS. This September… the cat wants in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

IUG posted:

I don't think anyone else will care since not even the authors mention it in their social media accounts, but looks like Flavor abruptly ended with issue 6 and no conclusion. There's just a paragraph in the recap page saying is no longer a monthly comic. Bummed me out because they were setting up the world pretty well.

It sounds to me like they're continuing but in a different format. I'd assume longer page counts with a slower release schedule but things don't always work out.

Anyone else pick up Murder Falcon last week? The previews looked super dumb but I really liked Extremity and this one is good too so far. It IS super dumb but in a fun and occasionally surprisingly touching way. I'll give it at least one more issue, anyway.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was late to get through it but I just finished reading Descender and holy gently caress that book was loving awesome and gorgeous from start to finish. HERE BE SPOILER OF THE END: the last volume in particular was just PACKED from start to finish with so many revelations and oh poo poo moments. From the robots reveal, explaining the first attack, god drat MAGIC out of nowhere, and then ending the way it did was so drat good. The last issue’s first line “This is the way the universe ended...” just sets a level of expectation of how things end and then proceeds to not just meet, but exceeds them.

The art was just beautiful and every page and character was just lovingly drawn and written. There were some seriously good ideas being told and the story never really slowed down at any points. Characters came and went, met and left only to meet again at a later point, and everything just had this awesome interconnection that I haven’t seen in a comic in a long rear end time. Time-21 was awesome. I went through the books not really knowing how a sequel would work but now that I know what’s coming?

I am so loving HYPED for Ascender.

Yeah, I loved it and still mean to do a re-read before Ascender. Wish Lemire hadn't spoiled the ending on Twitter, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Well this is unexpected.

Lemire is staying busy in 2019, as per usual!

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1105857327561728000

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else pick up Little Bird last week? It's basically BKV's "We Stand On Guard" but with more of an indigenous bent and a greater focus on religion. I dig Bertram's art so I'll probably stick around for the mini.

Assassin Nation was pretty fun too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh man I don't buy a lot of physical media anymore but this is tempting:

https://twitter.com/orbitalcomics/status/1110572828477325312

Uh, the second one, I don't do a lot of Twitter posting either.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Hoo boy, that end to Hellboy. Hopefully not forever, and at least the retro series will presumably continue!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Zachack posted:

I still have one last Hell on Earth omni collection to read but is that a good stopping point? War on Frogs clearly ends on a to be continued... But does Hell on Earth generally "solve" things?

The Devil You Know just finished and that was the series finale. It's only 15 issues so if you've gone this far you might as well keep going.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else read She Could Fly last year? It's written by Christopher Cantwell of Halt and Catch Fire and drawn by the guy from Ice Cream Man, and broadly speaking it's about a young woman who becomes obsessed with a flying woman who may or may not exist. Pretty gonzo, but I like it a lot and the follow-up series is off to a promising start. I don't think I've seen such an honest perspective on mental health issues in comics before which is nice.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Haha, I didn't read any spoilers before the issue but my perspective was "if it's something stupid I'll finally stop reading" and welp, it looks like my decision was made for me. Definitely a gutsy way to go out!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

IUG posted:

I'm reading Walking Dead in those annual hard covers, ever since a friend got me the first few. The series isn't actually ending I assume, right? I'm afraid of googling it so I don't get this spoiler, let alone the stuff leading up to whatever I haven't read yet.

I mean, do you want the spoiler or not? I'm getting mixed messages here. In any case, it appears to be done.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else check out Strayed? It's about interplanetary colonization through the use of an astral-projecting cat named Lou which was enough to get my money. The first issue is promising so I'll follow along for now.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I don't know if anyone else pre-ordered a TKO series but apparently they're partnering with Comixology now and will no longer be self-releasing. I got an email asking if I wanted a refund or a free upgrade to TPB on the Lemire series I barely remember the premise of.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Picked up and enjoyed Folklords and Family Tree this week! Would recommend both.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Huh, I knew East of West was ending soon but I didn't realize it was that soon. It seemed like a satisfying ending but I'll have to do a re-read to be sure as the details got fuzzy due to the inconsistent release schedule.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

It's over? Just last week I was going through Comixology to see how many TPBs I was behind on and saw somewhere that the comic was in its final arc.

Last issue dropped this week! Now do Black Monday Murders, Hickman.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Protector got off to a pretty good start, though I found myself more interested in the backmatter than the body of the comic. It's a post-apocalyptic tale in which much of North America has been re-taken by various Indigenous tribes. I also wish Simon Roy was doing the art as well as writing but I understand that he actually wants to get the book out on time.

I've been reading Zdarsky's "Afterlift" because apparently I get some Comixology Originals for free on Amazon Prime, and I'd recommend it. Especially if you can also get it for free!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I can't find many other free comics through Prime Reading but the Breaklands is a pretty decent mashup of Mad Max and the X-Men and the Stone King is a fun little fantasy romp with great art by Tyler Crook. I'd definitely read more of the latter and probably more of the former.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Some former Valiant folks have put together a new company.

The Article posted:

– Bad Idea will only publish single issues. There will be no collected editions, at least initially.
– All the issues will be prestige format, at $3.99 a pop.
– There will be no digital distribution.
– Initially, the comics will be available in just 20 stores in the United States.
– They are advertising upcoming work from Matt Kindt, Jeff Lemire, Peter Milligan, Doug Braithwaite, Jody Houser, Lewis LaRoca, Eric Heisserer, Marguerite Bennett, Adam Pollina, and more.

I'm into a lot of those creators but I'm outside the US and in a fairly small city so I guess I'm not part of the target market.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Matt Fraction has another Image series on the way:

ADVENTUREMAN.

Blurb posted:

A CATACLYSMIC ADVENTURE DECADES IN THE MAKING!In this WILDLY AFFORDABLE TRIPLE-LENGTH FIRST ISSUE, revisit how the legend of the greatest pulp hero of them all, ADVENTUREMAN, ended in a heartbreaking CLIFFHANGER with our hero facing execution at the vile hand of his ultra-nemesis BARON BIZARRE on the eve of the MACABRAPOCALYPSE...or did it?!? Eighty years after his apparent demise, single mother Claire and her Adventurefan son Tommy seem to be the only two people alive that remember the thrilling ADVENTUREMAN sagas...but from that memory burns THE SPARK OF RESURRECTION! WHERE HIS STORY ENDED...HER STORY BEGINS! This sense-obliterating, earth-shaking, imagination-quaking adventure that spans generations comes to you from MATT FRACTION (SEX CRIMINALS, Hawkeye) and TERRY & RACHEL DODSON (RED ONE, X-Men/Fantastic Four)!!!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Speaking of indie spies, did anyone else pick up BANG! this week? It's an interesting take on the James Bond-style superspy from noted weirdo Matt Kindt. I thought the first issue was a promising start and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else pick up the new Hickman space assassin book Decorum this week? Seemed like a promising start and not surprisingly struck me as extremely Hickman.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cloks posted:

It's good! I liked the page that was a diagram of a bowl of noodles.

Extremely Hickman.

Now please finish Black Monday Murders my dude.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else check out Ludocrats this week? Here's the blurb:

Image posted:

The Ludocrats! The aristocrats of ludicrous! A collision of the ornate fantasy of Dune and an M-rated Asterix & Obelix! Baron Otto Von Hades and Professor Hades Zero-K are here, and they're going to save us all have a nice time. KIERON GILLEN (DIE, THE WICKED + THE DIVINE) and JIM ROSSIGNOL (Sir, You Are Being Hunted) write! JEFF STOKELY (The Spire) draws! TAMRA BONVILLAIN (Once & Future) colors! Clayton Cowles (BITTER ROOT, DIE) letters! The universe screams in pleasure, writhing, finally satisfied, complete, joyous!

As you might expect it's kind of...a lot. Probably too much for me, but others may disagree.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Yay, doubleposting...

Anyone else read Adventureman? Great setup.

Yeah, seems like a nice start and the notes from Fraction were interesting.

I'm glad indie comics are firing back up again!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

This is old as hell but I figured I'd reply. Hickman said Black Monday Murders is done it's just Tomm Coker, the artist, got very very sick and he's recovered and working on issue 9. Hickman won't solicit it until Tomm is working on issue 12. The story has been done for ages because Hickman writes his indies as screenplays. This is info I got from his "Writing For The Big Reboot" zoom panel.

Thanks for the info! I think I knew most of that but I lose track of why the various books I like have been delayed.

I finally got around to reading That Texas Blood #1 last night and I quite enjoyed it. Good job setting the scene with a couple big moments. I'd recommend it to fans of Criminal and the like.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I picked up Seven Secrets this week and quite liked it. Nice mix of action, humour, and drama, as usual for Taylor. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Blurb posted:

For fans of Once & Future and Undiscovered Country comes an all-new original series from #1 New York Times best-selling author Tom Taylor (DCeased) and artist Daniele di Nicuolo (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) about seven powerful secrets-words, wonders, weapons, and worse-with the power to destroy the world.. Seven Secrets could destroy the world. For centuries they've been locked away and protected by The Order. When their stronghold is attacked and a secret revealed, the entire Order must go on the run. The Order's youngest member, Caspar has been trained his entire life to protect the Secrets he will never know. Now is his chance to prove his worth-to become a Holder of one of the deadliest secrets in the world. But Caspar has a secret of his own. And his secret could prove more dangerous than anything the Order protects …

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sounds good to me!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Walking Dead isn't Image?

Skybound is apparently Kirkman's company which releases comics through Image. They have a few other imprints and I've never really been sure of what the difference was.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Al Ewing has a new sci-fi series on Boom! called We Only Find Them When They're Dead which is about a spaceship crew stripping dead gods for parts. It's certainly an interesting premise and he's usually reliable.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Anyone check out Department of Truth this week? It's James Tynion's new Image book and I liked the first issue.

quote:

Cole Turner has studied conspiracy theories all his life, but he isn’t prepared for what happens when he discovers that all of them are true, from the JFK assassination to flat Earth theory and reptilian shapeshifters. One organization has been covering them up for generations. What is the deep, dark secret behind the Department of Truth?Bestselling writer JAMES TYNION IV (Batman, Something is Killing the Children) debuts his first Image ONGOING SERIES alongside breakout artist MARTIN SIMMONDS (Dying is Easy)!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yeah, I didn't like the art at all at first but I got used to it later on.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I picked up the first two issues of Friday from Panel Syndicate and it's interesting so far. It's a sort of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys grow up and move on story by Ed Brubaker with art by Marcos Martin. Pay what you want too!

http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I feel like the enthusiasm for Black Hammer petered out awhile ago, but the new Colonel Weird series is off to a good start. Tyler Crook is a great fit on art, and the reality-bending storyline is up my alley.

Colonel Weird has seen some poo poo.

Sex Criminals went out on a fairly pleasant note. I'll have to re-read it now that it's finished, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I enjoyed Fear Case #1 quite a bit. If you like Matt Kindt I'd recommend checking it out:

quote:

Matt Kindt! Tyler Jenkins! A new, horrific detective series by Matt Kindt (Ether, Mind MGMT) and Tyler Jenkins (Grass Kings)! A no-nonsense Secret Service agent and his new-age partner investigate a mysterious box known as the ''Fear Case,'' which has appeared throughout history at sites of disaster and tragedy. Whoever comes into possession of this case must pass it on within three days or face deadly consequences. The agents must track down this Fear Case while staying one step ahead of a psychotic cult and the otherworldly forces behind the Case's existence.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

There are a lot of Canadians in comics! I had no idea Chip was from Edmonton and I didn't even know Curt Pires was Canadian.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I just read the first TPB of Dryad from Oni Press by Kurtis Weibe and Justin Osterling. The art's great and I enjoy this a lot more than I did Rat Queens, although the story might jump around a bit too much. Reads nice in chunks, though.

I've been meaning to bring up Dryad in here, and I second your recommendation. It's a fun mix of fantasy and...other things that will become apparent over the first few issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I quite liked Ultramega! I love James Harren's art and although the story was a pretty standard Ultraman/Pacific Rim pastiche there's enough to keep me coming back.

The new Stokoe book Orphan and the Five Beasts is also worth checking out.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 18, 2021