Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I guess Incorruptible is ending as well (or has ended already?). How did that hold up? I was enjoying it more than Irredeemable, but I ended up dropping them both a while ago due to budgeting.

I'm also really loving Prophet. Haven't got to read the latest issue yet, but everything else has been amazing sci-fi craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'm still really enjoying Planetoid. Ken Garing handles writing, art, and one I sometimes take for granted, lettering. The first two are handled quite well. I find his art style choices complement the story nicely. The third is a problem for me, all due to the choice of font. The one he uses is slanted, like italics. This results in my brain automatically reading everything as if it were spoken in an unnecessarily serious manner. Of course, in some scenes it's fine, but it doesn't always fit. Overall, a minor complaint. I'm definitely sticking with the series for now.

Edit: I posted a bit from the current issue in the Badass thread.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 23, 2012

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Anyone have an opinion on Spera from Archaia? I found it on Comixology and was thinking of picking up the first volume. I'm not familiar with the writer, Josh Tierney, but I like a good fantasy yarn once in a while. It looks like it has some very pretty art at times as well.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 1, 2012

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Check the Maakies site again. Apparently, Tony was just playin' with our emotions...

"Maakies will never be retired. I’m just keeping everyone on their toes. See how horrible life would be without good comics?"

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'd like to recommend Joe Kelly and Ken Niimura's I Kill Giants. Great self-contained story about a little girl who firmly believes she's a giant-slayer, despite all the real-world evidence to the contrary. At its heart, it's a poignant story about a young girl coping with loss. Didn't know what to expect when I picked it up, and totally loved it. I'm not afraid to say it genuinely made me tear up.

Edit: I should add that this book also has some great funny and whimsical moments, as well.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 5, 2012

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I've slowly been getting caught up on Hellboy and BPRD. I'm caught up on Hellboy to current. As far as BPRD, I've read up through The Long Death. I think I'm in love with BPRD. I put off reading it for a long time, and it turns out it's my preferred series of the 2, and one of my favorite books on the shelf. I'm having a bit of trouble with the reading order though. What follows The Long Death? It's a bit hard to keep track of. Any good reading order guides out there?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Thanks. I had seen that site before, but somehow totally missed the Hell On Earth stuff below the initial BPRD list.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Apparently the first 2 issues of Smith and Stokoe's Sullivan's Sluggers have been posted as a free downloadable promo: http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/
I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet, but will definitely do so once I get home.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Anyone know when the next issue of Locke and Key will be out? Wiki says issue 4 was due out yesterday. Another site says April 3rd. Yet another page I found just says May.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
So, regarding the Locke and Key finale from yesterday, how did Bode survive? Or get a new body, or whatever? I feel like something totally went over my head, but it's been so long since I read the previous volumes, I'm surely forgetting something. I know I don't technically need spoiler tags since it's out, but I tagged it since many seem to be waiting for the trades.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Thanks. I remembered everything except the last 2 sentences you posted, which were pretty important.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
That's fantastic. You should cross-post it to the Funny Panels thread, if it's not there yet.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I don't want to sound like an ad blurb or anything, but seriously, I hope you're buying Fraction and Zdarsky's Sex Criminals. It's hitting on both writing and art, and so far at least, coming out in a timely fashion. The two main characters have been really fun to read. It will be interesting to see where Fraction goes as the cast expands. I really think he handles a small cast better than a large one in general.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Waterhaul posted:

The main things are the opening issue which tonally does not match the rest of the book and making things far more complicated then they need to be. The pacing is all over the place too which is weird as her mini's have been better.

With Captain Marvel I don't know how it was originally conceived but Pretty Deadly was originally just a Western with Ginny taking the role of The Woman With No Name, going from town to town rather than what it is now. Now it's basically Gods vs Monsters, which Emma Rios is drawing the hell out of but is really at odds with the first issue. There's also the fact that issue 2,3 and 4 were a very messy and overly complicated way of shuffling around the characters in 1 to match presumably how the series is going to go forward.

Huh, I'll have to reread the first part of Pretty Deadly with this in mind. It definitely felt like a shift afterward. It seemed to be using the mythological stuff more as a framework, and now it's the explicit focus. I'm enjoying it though, and it is gorgeous.