Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I enjoyed the new collection of King City as much as everyone else here. Amazing stuff, with really original and weird city and world creation that is really reflected in the backgrounds. On one double spread there is a shoots and ladders game track that reflects the various dangerous neighborhoods and blocks in King city. three different branching paths are the places the main characters follow as they split up briefly. With such amazing tiny detail the love Brandon Graham has for his art just illuminates the page.

Has anyone given their opinion on the new Orc Stain #7 issue? This one has such action and Godzilla style city wrecking that it makes it difficult for me to read the comic in one sitting. There are just too many things going on, too many amazing details in the drawing. This is a good thing btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Ooh yeah, reprint of Orc Stain V.1 coming out soon. This will make up for the lack of Stokoe while Godzilla and Sullivan's Sluggers come out.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
So Sullivans Sluggers kickstarter from Mark Andrew Smith and James Stokoe is now updated with stretch goals, and the first goal which is $900 dollars off of is to

quote:

The next Unlock is a big one. When we reach the 65,000 level we're going to print the book in OMNIBUS SIZE at Dimensions: 12.6 x 8.6. Like the giant 'Walking Dead' and 'Girls' Hardcovers you've seen on the shelves.
. I was waiting until the final hours to donate and now I'm even more excited.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, this 65k stretch goal thing is really the first update, and the first time they seem to be strongly advertising it on twitter and other places. But I'd be happy even if this kickstarter weren't a rousing success, because on Twitter Stokoe said after Godzilla it's Orc Stain full time. :getin:

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I have not heard of this, can you elaborate?

Planetoid is a sci-fi survival series about a lone, Conan type wandering the wilderness type protagonist who crash lands onto an asteroid that has apparently been used as a garbage dump and is covered with metal scrap. So it starts out shockingly like Soldier, the bad Kurt Russel film. But it feels more like a Conan type story and the art is very good.

AmericanBarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 22, 2012

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

friendo55 posted:

I had no real idea of Howard Chaykin and his previously controversial Black Kiss - but wow I was definitely blindsided by what I just read. Very perverse and over-the-top, and not something you'd want to read in public. I've just read that it was held back today at UK customs! I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and debating whether or not to continue the miniseries.

Chaykin has done some pretty good stuff, look at the first 20 or so issues of American Flagg for some AD2000, Judge Dredd inspired stuff about corporate cops in the future. In the first issues that art is mind blowing and truly deserves the term "hyper kinetic".

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, Metabarons is pretty cool. It has all the elements that made The Incal tippy, amazing, futuristic.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
The recommendations for Planetary and the Manhattan Project are both spot on if you really enjoyed Prophet Hedrigall. I would also look at some European science fiction. You would probably enjoy Judge Dredd , there are lots of trade collections for it. The Incal maybe a bit too psychedelic and awesome to go straight to from Prophet, so I would recommend Enki Bilal. He's a French artist who has done a lot of good gritty science fiction and mystery books. Look at things he's done like the Nikopol Trilogy, and Exterminateur 17. This is the set up for the Nikopol Trilogy.

quote:

The central plot of the trilogy, set in 2023 Paris, follows Alcide Nikopol who returns from a 30 year sentence spent orbiting the earth under cryopreservation to find France under fascist rule following two nuclear wars.
You can find lots of good Euro science fiction out there, one of the biggest classics is Valérian and Laureline which is like a science fiction Tintin combined with a game of "Spot the ways classic science fiction films have ripped off or been inspired by this comic".

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

7744 posted:

I bought the first volume of OCB and it was great. He's got a real awesome style. If you really like his work, you should also check out the series Prophet from Image. He's done a few issues now and his pages are really fantastic.

He's also writing the second book of Old City Blues, should be out sometime 2013 I think.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Bowie is the only real character to speak of and she doesn't really have much depth either. The storyline isn't really the point, it's just a font for wildly creative art and insane world building.

And gronks. Don't forget the gronks.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

bairfanx posted:

I don't expect so, but Graham has said that he has an end point that's maybe 12 issues down the line from where we are now, give or take a few?

Yeah, around issue #45 is the end of the storyline.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

redbackground posted:

I happened to just find a used (yet in pristine condition) (but 70% off!) copy this afternoon and just flipping through it, the book is gorrrrrgeous.

Is there another volume planned any time soon?

You don't want to know how long it took Paul Pope to finish the first volume.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

The one jarring thing about the preview is that this is probably the most overt amount of explication I've ever seen in any three consecutive pages of Prophet :v:

It's taken this long to write the backstory because they prob never wrote it down. I like it that way, but I see why some people demand more plot.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Has anyone else read the Wrenchies yet? It is super high quality, Farel Dalrymple blew me away. Most likely you'd be familiar with his work on Prophet, but Wrenchies is a much more mature solo effort. He also posts his project "It will all hurt" on Study Group comics website, so if you're interested go read it here http://studygroupcomics.com/main/category/title/it-will-all-hurt/

I wish I could show this nunchuck fight early on in the Wrenchies, the layouts and flow of action Farel Dalrymple draws at times is great.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's up with the 8house brand? Is it a few books set in the same world? Anyone read the others?

I think all the books should be set in the same world/universe, but each book will be mostly separate from the ones before it. I don't know how much shared backstory the stories will share. I think part of the vibe they are going for is the noble houses from Dune sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Cerepol posted:

How has he not figured out someone to help him finish Orc Stain, or start Murderbullets?!?

Orc Stain doesnt sell enough issues to warrant working on it now. Starving comic artists need that sweet sweet movie franchise cash.