Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

Title: American Vampire
Publisher: Vertigo
Brief description/Why I like it: I like to call this the anti-Twilight for good reason. This is an old-school violent vampire story; the vampires here are viscous killers who'll rip your head off and drink the blood down the stump. The first five episodes were co-written by Stephen King and explains the main premise: how vampires have existed in the world for centuries and sometime during The Old West, bank robber Skinner Sweet is exposed to vampire blood and becomes a new species of vampire: the American vampire. Immune to sunlight, the species is vulnerable only to gold and nights of the new moon, and when violent grows huge claws and rattle-snake fangs. The rest of the series is essentially an exceptionally good historical fiction, featuring characters as flapper girl-turned American vampire Pearl Jones and her human lover and former marine Henry Preston, Vegas PD detective Cashell McCogan, and the vampire hunting organization the Vassals of the Morning Star. Read this series now, as it's nothing less than a modern-day uniquely American epic.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Pick up volume 3. For $25 you get a one-shot explaining Skinner Sweet's character, the Ghost War arc taking place during the Pacific Campaign featuring Japanese vampires and the Survival of the Fittest arc featuring a predictable but never the less awesome Nazi vampires arc. The whole volume features all of the aforementioned characters and factions as well, so it's a very good place to start.

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

Hey who's a good novel writer to compare Brian K. Vaughn to? I'm not too well read so all I'm thinking right now is Kurt Vonnegut.

Dacap posted:

So what are everyone's thoughts on the first issue of Saga?
I liked it. I'm a huge fan of Vaughan, and I'm digging this Star Wars meets Game of Thrones vibe.

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 15, 2012

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

Is Blue Estate any good? 'Cause I just saw the cover and I want this comic and a Caucasian real bad...

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

Title: Blue Estate
Publisher: Image Comics
Brief description:A smart parody of pulp detective stories and Chandler Noir. Viktor Kalvachev's Blue Estate is an ensemble piece starring a fat loser PI, a washed-up movie star and his wife, a hitman, a real estate agent, and a mob war between the Italians and Russians. Throw in a couple of potheads and David Hasslehoff and you're now in the Blue Estate state of mind.
Why I like it: The art team consists of six artists. Six artists who provide a different art style every two pages. This best complements the chaotic story, which bounces around a cast of a good two dozen. The story is less like a gritty hardboiled TV series like The Wire and more a hard-R parody of gritty hardboiled detective fiction like The Big Lebowski with enough humor and stoners to keep it rolling. That and the covers are gorgeous. Kalvachev writes and handles both interior and cover art: not only are they beautiful but each element of the cover is a plot point. So issue ten features stoners, a sniper, horse racing, and a White Russian.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: The first eight issues have been collected in a pair of trades, four issues apeice.