Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey can I get an opinion on The Sixth Gun? It looks like a neat Western series and I'm looking for a All-Star Western replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've been reading Brian Wood's Conan, and I feel like he's writing with one hand behind his back. It's exposition-heavy, even for a heroic fantasy work. What saves it is Becky Cloonan's art: her manga-style works best for the intense eyes in the characters.

I've read Wood's Northlanders, and after reading that this series looks uninspired. Maybe Wood just works with his own original material?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Soonmot posted:

The thing to remember, is that he's writing it in Howard's style. If you've ever read the originals (btw, pick up the Centenary Edition on Amazon) you'll notice the similarities.

But yes, the art is gorgeous. This is the best Conan has been since Buesik left it.
Well compare it to Red Sonja, and there's a lot more action going on there than in Conan. Eric Trautmann knows how to balance the exposition with the raw visuals and action, but Wood really feels out of his element. I dunno, maybe it's because he's new to adapting Howard.

Speaking of Red Sonja, I haven't seen a new issue since #63. Is it company delay or what?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm really looking forward to the Valiant relaunch. I used to read my older cousin's Valiant books when I was a kid; I especially liked Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior for the historical fiction and the proto samurai jack respectively.

At the risk of sounding like a weaboo, I'm especially looking forward to Bloodshot :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga is drat well the best new series of 2012. Brian K. Vaughn is like a much better Joss Wheadon in how he can create a setting spanning worlds with so much detail and yet maintain focus on a handful of characters. I love how the character designs are just so creative like that race of TV headed aliens. And Staple's art just feels so natural for Vaughn's writing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How's the Valiant Reboot so far? I'm not dropping in 'till Bloodshot hits the shelves.

Also, Dynamite's publishing a Pathfinder RPG series. Any chance this'll be worth a look?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Waterhaul posted:

There's a thread for the Valiant relaunch that goes in to some depth on each of the series if you're thinking of picking them up.
Yeah, the thread's not showing.
Edit: found it. Thanks.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 9, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Speaking about Wood, I have to recommend his ongoing work on Conan. All those years on Northlanders have done him good :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga #4 is out. Saga is all that's good with indie comics: after guzzling sodas you need a cup of cranberry juice to cleanse the palette.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Ugh. Blue Estate #12 was supposed to be in shops last week. Any idea when the issue will finally ship?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm gonna move my American Vampire discussion here.

Lord of Nightmares was a surprising change for AV. Before, Snyder had approached vampires in a clinical sense: they weren't mythical monsters with supernatural powers but an advanced species of human (homo abominum). "Dracula" here is presented as a demonic presence akin to Castlevania. The change is sudden, but it fits given how "Dracula" is the unnamed father of the Carpathian race.

I love Nguyen's art. The man draws vampires like demons which fits the theme better. The main series still maintains that scientific classification of vampires and Albuquerque draws them like feral beasts to accommodate that theme.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Soonmot posted:

It is, Benny posted in the wrong thread.
drat. Sorry.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
To add to the Saga praise, I'm passing around issues to my anime nerd friends right now. It seems to be the perfect series to introduce an otaku to comics.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga vol. 1 is availible now for $10.

I'm wondering how is it that this series in issue form can go on without ads in the middle. Is it that Image's profit margins are so low that they can swing it?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So how much longer until Disney takes the Star Wars license from Dark Horse and gives it to Marvel?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm really interested in Queen and Country by Greg Rucka: one of my favorite comic writers. It must be a rare series because I can't find it in any of my local comic shops. How good is the series?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga this week was great. I feel so bad for Marko's Dad.

Oh and Marko's ex is back. Does Brian K Vaughan have a thing for black girls? I'm starting to notice a trend.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I picked up Mara yesterday. It has potential but the first issue had bad pacing. As much as the constant information is probably to enfroce the theme of constant media distraction, it undermines itself by overloading the reader. And the plot point that Mara attains superpowers turns this from an interesting social commentary plot to another superhero title. I'm going to continue reading, though. This is Wood's best writing since DMZ.

And I didn't spoil that last part because it's right there on the Image website..

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So did anybody read Star Wars #1? I found it underwhelming. My misgivings with the book are not so much Wood as it is the material. See, because it's based off the original trilogy, it's a rather narrow setting to draw from. The characters and setting are so set that there's not very much wiggle room to do something different. We know how it's going to end and with that knolledge, any re-intepretation feels like an episode of Law and Order: you can predict the beats a mile away.

What saves it is the art by D'anda. I've always felt that the strongest aspect of Star Wars is the flavor: the ships, the aliens, the droids, etc. I always look foward to seeing somebody's visual interpretation of Star Wars, and there's this gorgeous splash page showing a squadron of Tie Fighters dispatching on Luke, Leia, and Wedge.

I like Wood's Conan better because there's more to draw from. Because Wood's drawing from the original trilogy, he's limited and it's hamstringing him creatively.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but on the other hand, he's not drawing from the stupid expanded universe or the retarded prequels.
I dunno, I would've liked something EU like Knights of the Old Republic :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So Mara #2 came out. I have to say that the whole superpowers bit kinda underminds the premise. I'd like it better if it was a straight-up "sports as warfare" social condemnation peice similar to DMZ. With Mara as a sudden superhero, it kinda muddles and over-complicates the premise.

That said, this was better than the previous issue. I'm gonna stick around. Wood's still under my good graces thanks to Conan the Barbarian.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Len posted:

I came here just to post about it. Spoilers for Saga 10 Poor lying cat :(
Nooooooo! :(

A friend of mine pointed this out to me. The first page has a shirtless Marko on a prison chain gang who looks straight at the reader and says "Please keep reading". It didn't click that it was Brian and Fiona breaking the fourth wall untill she told me.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I just read Sex #1. It's a very odd mix of 80's zeitgeist, noir, and erotica. It's also tepid as it feels that the creative team wanted to introduce so much and then remembered "Hey, it's called Sex" and threw in a girl-on-girl scene at the end. Very much a prolouge issue. I'm also suprised as everything from the art aesthtetics to the purpose of the book is very much Watchmen inspired. There's lots of phosphorescent collors and Piotr Kowalski's penciling is very reminescent of Dave Gibbon's spiderstrand ultra-fine style which emphasizes detail quantity over detail quality. And much like Alan Moore, Joe Casey is challenging genre convention to adress a very touchy subject in comics: superhero nature for Moore, sexuality for Casey. Pick it up if you're curious read in the open at your own risk.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Oh Brian K Vaughan, you rascal :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
New Scott Snyder/Jock series "Wytches" coming out in October through Image! :swoon:

ScottSnyder posted:

Forget everything you know about witches. Because the truth is, witches, real witches, are something much, much scarier. Something you’ve never seen before. I’m collaborating with the super talented artist Jock on a new ongoing comic book series from Image Comics called Wytches. I don’t want to spoil anything, but let’s leave it at this—you’ll never think of witches the same way once you see Jock’s designs.

As for what you thought were witches? A wytch? A real wytch? Imagine, if you will, a bestial, primal creature that lives deep in the woods, waiting. We know nothing about them—they’re rarely seen. They are bigger than we are, stronger and smarter than we are, and they are gruesome and predatory. So, forget what you think you know. Leave the broomsticks for the kids. No magic, just horror.

Get excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Dawn of the Planet owns bones, so I'm really looking foward to "The Humans"

:allears: