Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Cull started off weak, but Worldtree is finally bringing it a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Double post!! Some recent horror/horror adjacent ones that aren't big 2:

Kill Your Darlings 1 (Image) -- a little girl who plays in a made-up world has things start to happen IRL. Unclear if this is going in a mental health or supernatural direction. If supernatural, interesting. If mental health, tiresome. The first issue had some charming writing, but pacing wise it didn't sink the hook. Much less infuriatingly dull than the Cull, however. I might give it one more issue to see if it wants to signal which way it's going.

Tear Us Apart 1 (Dark Horse) -- a boy and a girl in a weird cult make a run for it. This one grabbed me, oddly enough. I don't like the art and the concept isn't exactly groundbreaking, but in terms of pacing and storytelling it stood out as being punchy and not sucking. Big anime/manga vibes in the fight scenes (people have powers).

Hunt for the Skinwalker 1 (Boom) -- a comic adaptation of some scammy documentary/book stuff about Skinwalker Ranch. The contents of the comic is satisfactorily weird and interesting in a tongue in cheek way, but it's not clear if they're trying to play it straight? And I object to the premise of scammy cryptid documentary stuff. As a comic it's fine, but now the association with the IP makes me want to walk.

tldr, I don't ardently recommend any of these. If I had to pick one it would be Tear us Apart. All Eight Eyes is still reigning champ for recent horror indies for me personally.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 16, 2023

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

My local shop gets me 2000ad which comes in bags that include all the progs from a given month and Megazine with no apparent extra cost for shipping but the downside is that the delivery schedule is weird and I’m several months behind at any given moment because they just never know when the stuff is coming in.

It’s still fairly expensive though.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Honestly, a digital subscription might be the way to go. Looks like it costs about 10 bucks a month for AD and Meg and it says 'free back issues' -- I don't know how extensive that library is, but it's way more affordable than the paper stuff. I want to say I'm paying like 14 bucks per Megazine and probably 20 for a bundle of ADs, so 34 a month ish.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Dexter comparisons are unavoidable but I felt like BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES got off to a strong start this week. Would recommend.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 20, 2023

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

It’s so good and I’m so mad that my local shop chose #2 as the one time they “forget” to order me one :argh:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I really liked Helen. Napalm is indeed on the nose and maybe trying a little too hard, but I gave it a positive review.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

This is my first time reading him. What are the major beefs with him?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Endless Mike posted:

Someone license EXO-SQUAD.

:yeah: