Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Flynn Taggart posted:

Why I like it: It's just weird as hell. The art reminds me of Rugrats and the characters are pretty hosed up. They're just laying the groundwork now, but it has some definite promise. Also they keep Einstein locked up in a vault for some reason.

I think mentioning that Oppenheimer's brother loving ate him might be a better example of the weirdness going on.

This comic is already pretty awesome. Hickman owns. In addition to the weirdness I also got a good laugh out of Richard Feynman's narcissism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Inspired by me seeing Chronicle here's something probably not a lot of people have read.

Title:: A God Somewhere
Publisher: Wildstorm

Brief description: Another comic that dares ask the question: "What if Superman was a psychopath" as told from the perspective of the Superman stand-in's best friend. The kicker being that there aren't any other superpowered people on earth.

Why I like it: There are a lot of comics about Superman turning evil. To say it's fairly well trod ground is something of an understatement. The Sentry, Squadron Supreme, Irredeemable, The Boys, more than a few Elseworlds I'm sure, and the list goes on and on. What makes A God Somewhere stand out in that vast sea of media is how it presents the story, watching "Superman's" rise and fall from perspective of his best friend. Watching as the very human feelings of greed, anger, loneliness, and frustration warp this incredibly powerful person's mind until he's almost an animal is heartbreaking.

As far as the art goes, Peter Snejbjerg does a commendable job. The book is incredibly violent, even by crazy superman story standards. When he throws a tank though a building, you see all the broken bodies of the innocent people caught in the crossfire between a god and the desperate soldiers and police tasked with trying to stop the unstoppable.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's all self contained and in a trade. Just get it off amazon.

I just read this and I'm not sure I can give it a ringing endorsement. The core concept is fine, I guess, although a little worn. What I find irritating is that the motivations of Eric just seem inscrutable. It seems like he receives the powers and then there's a part missing where we see what leads him to snap, and then suddenly he's crippling his brother, raping his sister-in-law and murdering little girls; basically taking out all of his petty urges all of a sudden. And yes, I did notice the disconnection he'd been feeling for years but even so becoming a mass murderer is a big jump to make. He certainly doesn't seemed to have gained any transcendent knowledge, but instead he just seems like an average (or maybe below-average) intelligence person who gets powers and has a brittle mind. It wasn't bad, and I don't feel like I wasted my time reading it, but I don't believe it's one of the better examples of Superman-gone-wrong. Yeah, I know the side-characters are as much of a focus as Eric, but even so it felt a bit lacking. Irredeemable I actually thought had a more interesting and nuanced take on the crazy God-king thing, but then it got bogged down and really bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm really looking forward to the Valiant relaunch. I used to read my older cousin's Valiant books when I was a kid; I especially liked Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior for the historical fiction and the proto samurai jack respectively.

At the risk of sounding like a weaboo, I'm especially looking forward to Bloodshot :allears:

I hope they keep the no-FTL rule. Greatly anticipating spider aliens.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

East of West #1 is out this week. It's Hickman, Dragotta, 38 pages and only 2.99. Completely worth it.

It's a sci-fi western following the four horsemen of the apocalypse on the way to kill the president of future America. Hickman brings his usual thing but I think Dragotta really knocks it out of the park with the character design and "action" set pieces.

I just finished this and I liked it quite a bit. There's a lot going on in it and it's an odd setting, so a lot of it didn't make sense to me until my second read, but it was pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dik-dik posted:

If that's the case I finally feel vindicated for having ignored it for the art.

manhattan projects owns

sun beyond the stars #2 is out next week i think

i hope yuri doesn't gently caress his dog

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Über 27 is a great end to the first book and has me excited for the next.

Patton smoking a cigar while his halo effect appears in his eyes after blowing away the assassin was great.

I am most curious to see what Stephanie and co. are going to get up to. What is Alan so close to deciphering?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Iggles posted:

Yeah, that patton scene is cheesy and awesome. I had to reread the rest after the latest issue and I wish I had done so before reading it. Alan is working on the "alien" human-upgrade manual. He mentions that he's working on (and seemingly close to finding) something very different to the established ubermensch. It'll be interesting where he goes with that, the invasion, japan's bomb, battleship hideki and the rest

Thoughts on Alan's thing: maybe intellectual enhancement rather than something purely physical? Maybe something that doesn't relate to human enhancement (although as I recall the theme of everything on the artifact was human enhancement)?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

What I love about The Goddamned is I bet if you took the trade dress off and gave it to someone saying "Hey this is a new comic from France" they'd totally believe you. Feels really European, in a good way.

the goddamned is good, if you like oppressive and depressing settings and tortured characters (and i do)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Happy Hedonist posted:

I liked the new The Goddamned, but the swearing and violence is total cheese ball. I laughed at Adam and Eve.

that ruled. if there weren't such self aware moments the book would be a lot worse for it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Sleeper is my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration. It's supervillain-noir-espionage, and it's soul-crushing and awesome. If you try it, make sure you read the prequel, Point Blank, although it's by a different artist who isn't as good as Sean Phillips (Colin Wilson).

The Wildstorm Universe used to be a separate continuity that included the character from Wildcats, Gen13, Stormwatch (which became the Authority), and Planetary. When Jim Lee sold Wildstorm Comics (his imprint within Image Comics) to DC, they maintained their own universe, but were eventually, quietly folded into the DCU.

Wildstorm had some continuity problems (Authority barely sat in the general world at all) but had some goud stuff in there. The solo Majestic titles were all gold. Sleeper and Planetary need no introduction. Alan Moore's WildCATS run was good, as was WildCATS 3.0 which was a very different take on a superhero team: what challenges would a team trying to use the things they found on their adventures to better society face? How would it affect the powers that be, and what fundamentals of modern life would it change?

Of course then there's a lot of garbage like Millar's Authority run which cannot ne regarded as in continuity.

Editorial deciding to have the superhuman apocalypse actually happen could have spawned cool stuff but for the lovely creative teams.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Caught up on Autumnlands. Lord of Light elements. Cool. Still enjoying this a lot, it was obvious from the start this was not a fantasy story and it's doing all the sci-fi stuff right.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i just picked up the 3 black monday murders issues out so far. :staredog:

that third issue is visually striking. viktor with the shadows looking ghoulish. the panels going down with andrew wright slamming his head into the desk. horrifying. cool.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Rare it is that I make this criticism of a writer of any kind but Hickman needs more exposition. He gets caught up in his grandiloquent characters making broad pronouncements and you're left to wonder what the gently caress is happening. East of West is frustratingly vague after 27 issues. We're not on the level of Morning Glories here but a bit more clarity couldn't hurt. His broad ideas and scenes are still cool though so he's still a must buy name for me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
1 - 75 are 'good' to 'great', depending on how much Willingham's right wing beliefs stick in your craw. The rest aren't awful, but the main plot has basically been concluded, and things kind of meander.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
enjoyed the hell out of the goddamned. sure it's nothing particularly new in concept or, for the most part, execution (some relatively novel ideas - the antediluvian, nihilistic setting has more in common with post-apocalyptic settings than antiquarian ones) , but it's just a really enjoyable, visceral and dark antihero story. i'll look forward to the next arc.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
we won't see maria again until issue 8.. other spoilers:
* the next issue is quite clearly going to be a hiroshima analogue centred in the us, since gillen is trying to bring home the devastation of the war to americans
* the 'invasion' collection will be the conclusion of the story. it won't go past the end of the war.
* there'll be one other artist for one arc, but otherwise it will keep the same.
* gillen is very proud of issue 2.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Er, a couple things there that you're not entirely accurate about :
* He won't commit to anything post-war, but also didn't say he wouldn't. He says there might not be much of anything left, and doesn't want to give that eventuality away, one way or the other.
* The other artist may end up being the regular artist for the latter half, but he's not sure of it yet.

Anyway, really glad to see it back, and I'm looking forward to more.

''the third arc will be a guest, but if all goes to plan, he'll draw the rest'. implying there's something relatively firmly in place. you're right on the other point though in the context of the point he's trying to make i find it doubtful.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'd recommend catching up on the original. It's really good if you like grim war stories. Initially I know many found the premise off putting because it seems cliche and goofy, but it's very well executed and much more like alternate history with superpowers than a supes story in ww2.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the communists have the most powerful uber so YOUR TEAM is doing okay.

less so the brits, and it wouldn't shock me if we get to see a fully activated japanese battleship running riot across the pacific/australia. rip mr churchill.

though tbh i think the complaint that the nazis having an edge is contrived is misdirected. the edges they've had are explained in a realistic manner through plot. they had access to the core material for making ubers long before any of the other powers - and, hell, the sexy british spy stealing the stuff is itself more contrived than that - and the reason the germans were able to keep an edge technologically has a very plausible in-world explanation.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
if anyone likes the nazis with superpowers in a non-cape type story feel enough i recommend reading the milkweed triptych (novels, not comics), which is a series of three books beginning with bitter seeds. as in uber the nazis develop superpowers, though earlier in the war; to fight them british warlocks are conscripted. it sounds goofy as poo poo but, like uber, it's really not. much more about the sacrifices for a cause and the damage those hard choices can do to someone than goofy genre schlock. surprised the hell out of me how good they were.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I wasn't trying to imply the world will be gone, as Gillen joked, just the series won't go on.

That being said a cold war Uber would be interesting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

site posted:

I went ahead and read uber over the weekend and it's a great book as long as you can tolerate how depressing it is

Like i realize she's a Nazi and therefore bad but my feels go out to klaudia

Maria is the best though, it's gonna suck when she dies

^^^^ Patton surviving and being crystal sensitive is lame cuz that guy was the loving worst, although this is a world where only the worst possible situation ever occurs so maybe that's the point

Truman laments Patton's disposition and the fact he was the most senior military figure left in western Europe. I think Gillen is aware of his flaws. Nonetheless Patton standing in the destroyed room with a cigar in his mouth and an active halo effect after shredding the spy Uber was loving cool despite being cheesy.

Re historical figures being uber in the postscript to the issue with Patton Gillen said he knew he was stretching it to have Patton and Turing be ubers, so I doubt there'll be any more. Wondering if there's anything special about Turing or he just did it for improved endurance so he could grind out more time deciphering the script on the alien object.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Given Maria is so heavily skewed to halo activation I'd have to think she's a lot more vulnerable if caught unaware than the other battleships. Given how close she's letting the Russian ubers get I could see her being put down by treachery. What Stalin is doing seems rather perilous given the huge asset she is and that, even if she won't follow orders and advance, she's not working against Russian plans. I understand she's more of a political threat to him than a threat to the USSR but it would seem prudent given the huge Nazi advantage in unconcentional forces to keep her around as insurance.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm familiar with Turing. Given the burdens we see on the Ubers I don't think being made into an Uber in order to facilitate the war effort is really much of a happy ending.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out. Basically making Boston into a Hiroshima commentary, and setting up the general plan for the Americans in the upcoming issues. Was more tactful than I'd thought.

Uber's gore has been good, I think. It's always pretty gorey and yeah sure sometimes it's cool to see the spectacle, but there's also really horrifying things in there like Colossus' fate when he was deployed and now this, which actually made me uncomfortable. The part with the mother trying to get her daughter out from under part of the house.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

In materials, manufacturing capacity, and just straight number of people the Germans are out of their league. The only advantage they have at this point is that they got human enhancement technology first and actually waited to unleash it at a point where it could turn the tide. Without Battleships this would be similar to regular warfare, just more bloody, basically the fighting would be similar to what happened in Uber's Okinawa. It's the presence of the three German Battleships that has destroyed all balance. Their mounting injuries is making them increasingly less relevant, and certainly less capable of defeating a fresh Allied assault.

Once the Allies manage to complete more than one Battleship and field them against the Nazis, the war is all but over except for the screaming. I wouldn't be surprised though if Russia levels the rest of Europe in the process.

That is, unless something really weird happens that I suspect is coming later this series. aliens, it's got to be aliens

I want to know what Turing is working on!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

scuba school sucks posted:

That's not an alien, that's a German Uber whose activation went bad. Remember the chair down in the cave?

Yeah but didn't that thing look like an abomination from Warcraft 3/Pudge from DOTA?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

I assume it's this, but the one we've seen was very different. There's no saying they can't mutate in different ways though. I do wonder why they make a cover of it.

Do they? Maria is vastly skewed towards blitz and looks pretty much the same as she did before except for maybe growing a couple of inches.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
There were botched activations but that is the only hint of a failed battleship.

Edit: Also, there is one hint Maria is more than a battleship. Battleships' potential tests usually blow up the testing container. When they tested Maria, she blew up the room. Of course, it could just be that the Russian's testing procedure is poo poo.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 28, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

atal posted:

I think that's procedure. The British and Americans are testing on weighted, scientifically produced clusters of activation juice. They can make it, and it stands to reason that they can make the smallest possible amount (whatever that is in mg) to test on. The Russians can't do that. Maria just produces 'a lump' which may be 30mg, or something. It's like trying to 'eyeball' a dose of a very powerful drug. You are going to get it wrong.

Just found the page. 10th page of 23rd issue. They use a vial, and say they expect a small explosion. It's not just a huge lump. That doesn't say, of course, their procedures are as refined as the other Allies, and their might be something special about Maria from being skewed towards Blitz that makes the vial react like that, but it's not quite as crude as might be thought. So she could be post-battleship.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
East of West is way too obscure. 30 issues in and I still have no idea what the motivation is behind the end of the world.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

scuba school sucks posted:

Yeah it's not a gruesome hideous gore comic for sadists to jerk off to, it's light-hearted escapism at this point.

really? boston going up like kindling and millions dying as nazis ravage the country is light-hearted escapism? i know what you're saying, but come on.

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out. The nazis are the most competent beings in existence as usual, but some old characters show up, which bodes well for the allies.

the nazis have been holding all the cards because of their lead start, so i think it makes sense. their spy helped too, of course, but the allies' spy is why they're still in it at all. i think it was necessary to stack the deck like that for the story for things to be able to get from the historical divergence point to where we are now, where gillen needed it to be to tell the story he wanted, and not have some step along the way be hugely illogical.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 18, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Maybe. I get the feeling it will be a new type qualitatively, though, rather than just bigger along the dimensions already established.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thom and the Heads posted:

I also enjoyed what I've read of The Black Monday Murders - some genuinely unsettling imagery for a book about world finance.

The bit with the lawyer slamming his head into the table over and over was extremely visually effective.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Providence #12 wraps up Moore's Lovecraft universe stories in the only way it could end.

Uber Invasion progresses. Telekinesis, but no one can handle it? I'm thinking Leah.

Telekinesis was my bet for where they'd go next, and the first seizure looked like it might have been that. But I'm not sure how to reconcile the second one with the soldier's bones bursting out with that idea. I'm not sure what it is.

Also, Leah is fully activated, so I'm not sure how they could use her - other than a synergistic approach with a TK soldier who uses her as a wrecking ball, anyway.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought Leah had a few activations left and Steph lied and claimed she was fully activated to prevent further crippling her.

TK is my bet, but the power could be flight, affecting only the skeleton. :haw:

I'm pretty sure Stephanie gave Leah one normal activation (I'd say halo but the Brits didn't have blitzmenschen). Poor Leah. Her motivations are similar to Sieglinde's, but she doesn't seem anywhere near as driven by pure revenge as opposed to liberation, and she hasn't had a single win.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Uber Invasion 6 talk: Patton is loving hilarious. My understanding is this depiction has a fair basis in reality, yet his attitude still comes across as cartoonishly grandiose. I hope he's planning to decapitate or cripple what little industry Germany has left rather than a terror attack; I'd like the Allies to maintain at least some moral superiority.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out and it's so loving cathartic.

i thought it was delayed until the 25th or something. that's what the release list linked to off of the avatar site says anyway.

also jupiter's legacy wasn't too bad. way too delayed, but the two jupiter's series over all have been the best millar stuff i've read for a good decade or more. take that for what you will, depending on your affinity for millar (and i'm no big fan, though his best stuff is enjoyable enough that i usually will check out one or two issues of whatever he puts out). it was low by millar standards on gratuity, and had some heart-warming core themes about the importance of family and the basic kind of heroism presented in classic comics. though my favourite moment was neither: in jupiter's circle, when j edgar hoover releases evidence of blue bolt being gay to the other heroes, and everyone assumes the '50s conservative Utopian and the rest of the crew are going to flip their lids. blue bolt slinks into a meeting with the rest, shame-faced, waiting for the inevitable, and then the utopian just stares at him and says something like 'do we have something to discuss? i didn't think so. let's get down to work.'

it also made me laugh a bit in the last issue when hutch's solution to walter was to say to his teleport stick 'real walter's head'. it's in character walter wouldn't have thought to be actively scanning hutch, though he could have known easily or insta-gibbed hutch if he wanted to.

starlight wasn't too bad, either. feels like millar might be mellowing on the edgelord poo poo, though he does churn out some pretty forgettable books like 1985 and that one about the speedster drugs.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shovelmint posted:

Sweet. I read the first half, and preordered the second trade, I'm glad to hear it was good. Also, when you quote someone you lose spoiler tags :saddowns:, but I was able to delete it before I spoiled meself

edit: Is Circle good?

yeah it's alright. has some interesting historical beats. i mean none of it gets as in depth on the world as characters as might be liked, but it's only a 15 issue series (including the forthcoming jupiter's requiem from 2019), and it covers a lot of time, and for those constraints i think it does an okay job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Uber was good. gently caress you, Siegfried. I'll be interested to see what tactics are developed as a counter to zephyrs. I dunno if any armour would be sufficient. If they have two weeks of subjective time they might be able to disassemble it, or to cut through it anyway. Creating a hail of distortion effects? But that would be very tiring and you'd need advance warning the zephyrs are around. What would a battleship zephyr look like? What's the optimal battleship mix like now? I imagine a blitzmensch battleship like Maria, who doesn't have much in the way of durability enhancement, would be very vulnerable to zephyrs!