Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I just learned that there's a new Jason out that I haven't read :
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/athos-in-america-dec.-2011-2.html!

So i guess :

Title : (var)
Author : Jason
Publisher : Fantagraphics
Why I like it : It's clever and witty and low-key, just a nice smooth comics-reading experience.

Good Jumping On Point Just read any of them, jesus, it's not a series or anything. My favorites are The Last Musketeer and The Iron Wagon. (I could have sworn he did a 39 Steps adaptation but I must be confusing him with someone else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

And hell let's do this:

Title: Frank
Author : Jim Woodring
Publisher : Fantagraphics
Why I like it : HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS ART.

LOOK AT IT
http://i.imgur.com/Rc9X3.jpg
ARE YOU LOOKING AT IT I DEMAND THAT YOU LOOK AT IT

Good Jumping On Point : You can't go wrong with the Frank Omnibus : http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Book-Jim-Woodring/dp/1606995006/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.

We are IN a surge of new creator owned content, and have been for years. Look at the web comics, look at all the indie cons like SPX / MOCCA / TCAF / etcetcetc. This is a loving golden age of creator-owned comics. But yeah, kickstarter is catalyzing the gently caress out of things.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

al-azad posted:

I don't mean to sound condescending, it's just a really good well put together book that's cheaper than a weekly rag and it hasn't been brought up at all. Here, I'll edit my post but definitely give the previews on Fantagraphics a read through.

I bought it on your rec, and got it last night, and drat but that's a lot of comics for three dollars. (Haven't read a single one though)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

choobs posted:

All that money should be going to Comixology and the publishers

Personally I think that money should be going to the creators.

Also Apple's been doing this poo poo for years and years: http://fictioncircus.com/news.php?id=375

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

side_burned posted:

I am looking forward to this. The Maxx is my favorite series from the early days Image. I reread the the whole run about a year ago and I loved watching Keith's art go from his attempt at following house style Image was using at the time to his signature surreal and cartoonish style.

Aren't all of the recent "reissue with new colors" things of the past few years regrettable at best?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Did anybody else go to APE? I thought it was a lot better than last year, but still no SPX/MoCCA. Lots of people selling art, not enough selling comics.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Not entirely sure where to put this, dropping it here:
http://silksifandrahil.tumblr.com

I read Leia Worthington's 'Bold Riley' and liked it a lot, it's very Conan-y except without a bunch of the unfortunate parts.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DoctorDelaware posted:

Recently discovered that there is a Rocky & Bullwinkle comic from IDW, so I picked that up. I was somewhat excited to see that Roger Langridge was involved--he did great work on the Muppet Show comics from a few years ago--but it turns out he's only drawing R&B. This was unfortunate, because Mark Evanier doesn't really seem to have a grasp on R&B's style of humor; I think I only had one actual laugh from those two issues.

Evanier's been blogging about writing those for a while. I like his blog, I don't usually like his comics tho.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Rat Queens isn't coming out frequently enough :(

I read the first trade and I don't know if I was expecting too much from the reviews but I didn't think it was anything special.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Did anyone else read God Hates Astronauts? Some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read in my life and I can absolutely not wait for the next issue

I got the trade because I think I read an interview with or blurb by the author and thought it was just boring forced wackiness.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oh also re: French books, I talked to the NBM guys at SPX and there's new Dungeon coming out, and also reprints of the older stuff.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on. It had:
- Admiral Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger (that is not a description, it is a proper name)
- A Rhino with a mustache called Dr. Professor
- A giant (time travelling?) Robot Giraffe called Time Giraffe
- Some kind of Green Lantern squadron looking equivalent called Star Bears flying around with star rings
- Mr Whorecules

Like is the whole thing like this? Is it a piss take or just monkey cheese throughout, or is it supposed to make sense at some point?

I read the trade, and the whole thing's mostly like that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes! :) Details are on the Kickstarter page but I'll summarize it a bit.

I had pledged even before I saw your post!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Who asked for this: http://sequentialpulp.ca/new-cerebus-series-celebrates-the-characters-30th-anniversary/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

My only complaint about Scioli's work is I don't think we'll ever get more 8-Opus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So Robert Kirkman is running a new Transformers and GI Joe shared universe with books by Daniel Warren Johnson and Joshua Williamson? And this was revealed in his new Image book which isn't obviously related? I'm tentatively excited!

I don't pay much attention to industry news or solicits so this was a fun surprise!

The only Transformers and GI Joe I care about is Tom Scioli's version, I should re-read those someday.