Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's been a few Comixology books I've enjoyed. Snow Angels, currently ongoing, is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

This is the last arc of Die - it ends with #20. At this point it's probably best to wait on the final trade, which is due in late October/mid November IIRC.

November 3, according to today's Gillen newsletter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm holding off for a hardcover, yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I signed up for Zdarsky, 3 Worlds, and Ahmed's. Zdarsky's sent about eight pages of Kaptara, and 3 Worlds has had a few pages, and a lot of lore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have Comixology Unlimited, check out The AllNighter by Zdarsky. They dropped the first two issues and it seems pretty cool so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After a few months of the Substack experiment, I'm down to only subscribing to Chip Zdarsky's.

The Hickman Three Worlds project sends a lot of stuff, but it's all process work with a bit of lore, which while interesting, isn't something I felt like paying for. They delivered one issue in the two months I was subscribed. It seems interesting enough, though, and I'll probably pick it up in trade if/when that comes out. They've also done some Zoom chats and movie watches and stuff, so while it wasn't things I was interested in, they are definitely offering some value for the subscription.

Saladin Ahmed's Copper Bottle project sends very little, delivering one issue in the four months I've paid, and not even much side stuff. I unsubscribed to that one, as well, when I was reminded today that I was still subscribed.

Chip, meanwhile, is releasing pages of two comics at a decent clip (volume 2 of Kaptara and an original called Public Domain) along with regular updates and such, so I'm going to keep this one for now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm Kirkman screwing over his co-creators seems like a recurring problem. I'm sure it's nothing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tony Moore sued him over Walking Dead as well. If you want to act like colorists aren't a big deal or whatever, that's an opinion you can have, but Kirkman was the original penciller on Walking Dead. I'm not sure how not being in a position of power matters. These people still co-created the books with him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small update on Uber from Gillen's newsletter. (Not really news.)

quote:

2022 Uber update

I talked to William at Avatar at the start of the year, to check in on the plans going forward. Basically, they’re concentrating on things other than new publication this year – Avatar are a small company, and there’s a whole lot of things they do which demands time.

This means there will be no Uber in 2022.

Sorry it’s not better news.

I understand frustration. Uber is Avatar’s property, so all this is outside my control. I’m still committed to the last four issues, whenever their schedule allows. There are plans of how it will happen, so I’m optimistic it will be published eventually. I just don’t know when.

Fingers crossed for better news in 2023.
:(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McGurk posted:

Trying to get back into monthly comics instead of just reading old TPBs. What are some good titles I can sink my teeth into?

The stuff I've liked the most so far:

Barbaric
Above Snakes
The Kill Lock
Heart Eyes
Shaolin Cowboy
The Silver Coin

I guess sort of that actiony neon style is appealing?

Check out Blood Stained Teeth. Five issues out so far

And yeah, definitely second Do A Powerbomb

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Check out I Hate This Place

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I can see that comparison. It's cute and the art is great, so I'm gonna stick with it. Hopefully he has an endpoint to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen included an update on Uber in his latest newsletter:

quote:

I was waiting to be able to speak to Avatar properly before giving an update on Uber for this year, but the conversation has had to be delayed for a bit.

So the interim update answer is: no change in the situation yet. We’re waiting on Avatar, who own the book, to decide on their publishing going forward.

I’m committed to finishing the book - the second things are sorted, I’ll polish up the last four scripts and get them over. Daniel and I talk regularly to check in with each other.

I’ll update when I talk properly with Avatar.

Well, I guess that's something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo, THE FORGED is really, really good. Check it out!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BRZRKR is....fine? I think it was longer than it needed to be and the art isn't great.

I'm really enjoying Black Cloak.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lucifunk posted:

I may have asked this here previously, but is BRZRKR good? Based on nothing but the covers, I assumed it was in the vein of Rucka's Lazarus.
I haven't read Lazarus, so I can't compare, but I found BRZRKR mediocre, at best. Like it definitely feels like a movie pitch that got rejected so he just made a comic of it, and it definitely felt too long for the store they were telling. Art's pretty bad, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lucifunk posted:

Ok, now I recommend Deep Cuts highly. It was a very realistic snapshot of life in the early 20s in New Orleans before Storyville got shut down. It is about jazz, and how it came to be synonymous with New Orleans. There's even sheet music in the back for the songs. I've got to get the rest of the issues that are out now. Nothing supernatural or anything, just a great story and fantastic art. The writer has to be from here.

The Anne Rice shows on AMC also show an accurate view of New Orleans and how music is part of the magic.
I'm really enjoying it but just fyi it is only about NOLA for the first issue. Each one has been about totally different characters in different times and places.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really need to spend more time in NOLA. My first time there was disastrous. The second was a blast. I didn't find the T'ieves Guild either time, though they found me the first and my wife the second.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That looks sick. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I just read Ram V's new one Rare Flavours and I'd definitely recommend. The premise seems to be that an old Indian deity is trying to make an Anthony Bourdain-like food documentary while being chased down by as yet unidentified pursuers. Also he's probably killing a lot of people. The art is good, I like the writing, and it includes a recipe for authentic masala chai that I might give a try.

Glad to hear. I haven't gotten to it yet (barely had time to read anything yesterday), but it's on my iPad. Looking forward to it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

20 yeas ago I walked up to booth at a comic convention for Brian Michael Bendis and David Mack with exactly one person chatting with them and bought Powers vol 2 and had BMB sign it

That's my 20 Years Ago indie comics story I hope you liked it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They definitely still exist as a company since they appear on the weekly shipping lists every so often. Nothing they're publishing seems to be anything but reprints, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

It is cool that every 80s-90s cartoon can have a home in comics. Where is our The Critic comic?

It stinks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone license EXO-SQUAD.