Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ahh I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up/be resurrected, and this is why.

Title: The Sixth Gun

Publisher: Oni Press
Brief Description: Based in post civil war America, the mysterious Drake Sinclair must stop an evil undead occultist confederate general from being resurrected by the power of his 6 unholy weapons. Revolvers, each with their own power (one shoots with the force of a canon, one can summon the spirits of anyone it has killed, etc.) can only be held by whoever killed it's last owner, and innocent farm girl Becky Montcrief inherited one unwillingly drawing her into the supernatural bid for power. It has cowboys, apocalyptic prophecies, voodoo, creatures of myth and legend and written by Cullen Bunn manages to never feel hoakey (even when they fight a mummy on a train!)
Why I Like It: I'm super gay for cowboys/apocalypse/voodoo/monster stuff. The plot and characterization keep you pretty interested (it's definitely a "can't wait to see what happens next" kinda book) and though Brian Hurtt's art is kinda cartoony, it's consistently good and captures the grim horror aspects really well.
Issue That Is A Good Jumping On Point: Well the first arc is the "Western Apocalypse" stuff, issue 7 starts the "New Orleans Voodoo" arc, and issue 12 is when it gets "Secret Society/Eternal Struggle" but it's only on 18 so start from the begining.
I got issue one on free comic book day and have been hooked ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

xK1 posted:

Also of note is that issue #1 is free on Comixology and 2-17 are just 99 cents each through tomorrow. :)

Well I hope everyone took advantage of this cause it's worth it.

Title: iZOMBIE

Publisher: Vertigo
Brief Description: Gwen Dylan is a zombie, but if she can manage to eat brains on a regular basis she won't go shambly or decompose. The catch of course is that when she eats a brain she gets a little bit of their spirit and if there's unfinished business she has to help finish it or she'll never get rid of the voices. It's kind of a girlie soap opera that just gets ridiculously wacky the more were-terriers, paintball vampires, debonair mummies, and ghoulish government agencies are introduced into what should have been a simple plot.
Why I Like It: Did I mention being super gay for monster stuff? Cause this book has a great comprehensive system linking most movie monsters (were-wolves, ghosts, zombies, vampires, etc.) to the "undersoul" or "oversoul". It's a neat new spin on it and it also has beautiful art by Mike (and his wife) Allred, which of course is why I picked it up.
Issue That Is A Good Jumping On Point:Issue 4 explains the soul stuff. Issue 13 introduces the Dead Presidents (a group of monster secret agents) and gets heavier into the over arching plot. But since it's only on issue 21 I'm gonna recommend starting from the beginning so you aren't wondering what the mummy has to do with the Bride of Frankenstein bringing about the end of the world, or some such nonsense.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've been meaning to check out BPRD though I never read any Hell Boy

I also want to second Bulletproof Coffin. I only read the first issue, (couldn't find anymore) but what the gently caress?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah I read the first issue of Baltimore (free comic book day again) and loved it but haven't been able to afford to pick up the trade yet.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Shageletic posted:

So Brian K Vaughn's Saga pretty much blew my tits off. What a fantastic start to something pretty different.

Benny the Snake posted:

Saga is drat well the best new series of 2012.

Yeah, I can't agree with this enough. I mean, I was down the minute I heard Brian K Vaughn but I didn't expect it to grab my attention the way it did before the end of the first issue no less.