Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Just gonna drop a little link here to my Empowered thread. Check it out if you like superheroes.

Anyway

Title:: Beasts of Burden
Publisher: Dark Horse
Brief description: It's basically Hellboy but with pet dogs and cats. Supernatural horror, but at a smaller, more personal scale.
Why I like it: The stories are intimate and scary, but it's due to the characters and their perspective, not because something is gross or shocking. Things that would be scary to a dog or cat wouldn't necessarily be scary to a human, but the book makes does such a wonderful job of creating that feeling of dread that good horror relies so much on. Plus: It's absolutely beautiful. Jill Thompson's painting makes every page a joy to look at.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: The stories are split up over a bunch of different anthologies but Dark Horse has done the heavy lifting for you and put them all in a very nice hardcover trade called "Animal Rites" (get it? get it?).

OR if you are a fancy pants A few of the stories are available digitally for reading on your ipad or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
What did you think of Chimichanga? I...didn't really care for it. But I appreciated Powell trying something a little different.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I got some good news from my comic shop today.

Title:: Orc Stain
Publisher: Image
Brief description: Well there's an orc and he's really good at breaking things and there's a swamp which who poisons people and they have to stop some other orcs and you know what trying to describe the story is stupid. It's an adventure book.
Why I like it: The art. Oh my god the art. Every page, every panel. James Stokoe's art is just...oh jesus I can't even describe it.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Haha that's a funny story. You can't find back issues of it and the TPB is apparently out of print already and is going for like 40 bucks on amazon for a used copy. The TPB is really the only place to start and then you have to try to find a copy of issue #6 which came out almost a year ago I think.

BUT #7 is apparently coming out in like three weeks! Hooray!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Whenever I ask about fantasy comics people recommend Orc Stain. Is it really that hard to find the first six issues? Like, if I can do it for fiveish dollars a back issue I'll probably start reading it.
If you don't mind reading them digitally then they're really easy to find. Comixology has them.

If you want to find the physical back issues then you're basically out of luck. I'm not exaggerating. I just checked ebay and there's one listing for #1 at almost 40 dollars and nothing at all for 2 and 3. I'm not saying you aren't going to stumble on them in a back issue bin but I wouldn't hold your breath.

And if you decide to buy them digitally why not pick up Nonplayer #1 while you're at it?

Title:: Nonplayer
Publisher: Image
Brief description: In the near-ish future a girl with a dead end job who still lives with her mom gets drawn into a deep web of conspiracy concerning the online video game she spends all her free time playing
Why I like it: The art, mostly. I mean it's a good sci-fi story but you'll pick it up to look at the pictures. It got a thumbs up from Geoff Darrow, Frank Quitely, and Moebius which really does count for something if comic book art means anything to you.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue #1 on comixology! That's also the only jump on point. And the only issue. That was published in April of last year. :sigh:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Inspired by me seeing Chronicle here's something probably not a lot of people have read.

Title:: A God Somewhere
Publisher: Wildstorm

Brief description: Another comic that dares ask the question: "What if Superman was a psychopath" as told from the perspective of the Superman stand-in's best friend. The kicker being that there aren't any other superpowered people on earth.

Why I like it: There are a lot of comics about Superman turning evil. To say it's fairly well trod ground is something of an understatement. The Sentry, Squadron Supreme, Irredeemable, The Boys, more than a few Elseworlds I'm sure, and the list goes on and on. What makes A God Somewhere stand out in that vast sea of media is how it presents the story, watching "Superman's" rise and fall from perspective of his best friend. Watching as the very human feelings of greed, anger, loneliness, and frustration warp this incredibly powerful person's mind until he's almost an animal is heartbreaking.

As far as the art goes, Peter Snejbjerg does a commendable job. The book is incredibly violent, even by crazy superman story standards. When he throws a tank though a building, you see all the broken bodies of the innocent people caught in the crossfire between a god and the desperate soldiers and police tasked with trying to stop the unstoppable.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's all self contained and in a trade. Just get it off amazon.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Doesn't anyone ever read any weird comics? It's not like you have to type out an essay.

Title:: Water Baby
Publisher: Minx

Brief description: After losing her leg in a Shark Attack, surfer girl Brody, her friend Louisa, and her awful ex-Boyfriend Jake go on a road trip up the east coast.

Why I like it: For those who don't remember, Minx was going to be DC's "for girls" imprint that was a total failure basically right out of the gate. Despite some really good talent behind the books and a brief media blitz they were pretty much all met with total apathy.

That said, Water Baby is a weird and kind of frustrating comic in a lot of ways. The story kind of wanders around without much of an arc or driving force. There's not really a climax or even much of a conclusion, it just feels like we're peeking in on these characters' lives for a little bit. And they are interesting characters. You can feel Brody's frustration and anger at being in such a lovely situation but what really sticks with you is her terrible and deep fear that comes out in the weirdly graphic dream sequences that happen from time to time.

It's probably not for everyone, but it never really was supposed to be.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: All self contained in a trade.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Mixing things up a little bit. I've posted about it before but why not again?? I like to post.

Title:: Stargazing Dog
Writer/Artist: Takashi Murakami

Brief description: Told from the point of view of a dog named "Happie", the book follows a man who, after a string of bad luck and a divorce, finds himself homeless and living out of his car. The man and his dog make a final little road trip down to southern Japan.

Why I like it: I've never cried more reading a comic than I have reading Stargazing Dog. It's not a particularly complex story, and maybe it's just a little manipulative, but it twists my cold, empty heart into a knot every time I read it. If you're a dog person at all reading it is like having someone punch you in the chest.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Single trade, easy to find.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Dickeye posted:

I just read the first issue of Prophet. It's pretty great despite me not knowing what's going on. Do I need to read the Liefeld stuff?
No.

No you do not.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Title: RAGEMOOR

Brief description: Castle Ragemoor stands overlooking the coast, its walls concealing a dark secret. The castle was born three centuries before Christ, its foundations formed from thousands of pagan sacrifices. For those who have made the castle their home, it becomes a prison. For most, it becomes their tomb.

Why I like it: Richard Corben's art really makes this series. Ragemoor looks like it's knitted together from bones and flesh, an organic and very very evil building that hides countless horrors. If you're a fan of Lovecraft or Poe or horror comics or cool art, it's worth checking out.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 2 came out today and issue 1 is probably going to awful to find in print but Dark Horse digital has it.

Title: Adventure Time!

Publisher: Boom! Studios

Brief description:
Adventure time
Come on grab your friends
We'll go to very distant lands
With Jake the dog
And Finn the Human
The fun will never end
It's adventure time!

Why I like it: Adventure Time is the comic book for the Cartoon Network series of the same name. It's written by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics fame and it's very funny and cool. It also does probably the most important thing a comic like this can do: it gives cool indie cartoonists a chance to go wild and do something fun. Issue 3 had a backup by Michael Deforge and Meredith Gran from Octopus Pie is doing a miniseries that comes out in July.

But really though, the book is funny and cute and great for all ages.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Wherever I guess. The first "arc" finished last issue so when #4 is probably going to be a good place to start picking it up. The first three issues are also on comixology.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Alhazred posted:

I really wonder how they got Alan Moore of all people to write for Spawn.
The same way they got him to write Supreme. "Hey, can you write something for my book? You can just do whatever you want."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Richard Corben tends to have that effect on people. He totally knows what he is doing, however, since he's been drawing comics for approximately forever.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
A cool comic you should get

Title: The Massive

Team:Brian Wood on words, Kristian Donaldson on pictures, Dave Stewart on colors

Brief Description: The book follows a team of environmentalists as they struggle to keep themselves alive after a massive, total environmental collapse.

It's out today! Go buy it! Don't buy lovely comics!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Something weird that came out today

Fatima: The Blood Spinners

Gilbert Hernandez on words and art

I have kind of a weird relationship with the Hernandez brothers. I still haven't read any Love and Rockets but I have some of their other stuff, High Soft Lisp and Chance in Hell. I enjoy the stripped down style, even if the stories don't always totally click for me. It's just a unique voice, I guess.

So I guess I'm not really sure why he felt like he needed to tell a story about a girl who shoots zombies with weird guns. It just feels...unambitious I guess. Like he wanted to draw a bunch of panels of girls in bikinis shooting people. I dunno. I'm not sure I can recommend it, but I am curious if anyone else picked it up. Also if anyone can explain what the heck they are wearing for the last part of the book.

It's like some kind of brief-thong over their pants? It's actually goofy enough to be distracting.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
If you liked Girls you could also get The Sword. It's by the Luna Brothers and features a girl with a magic sword chopping people in half like they are giant balloons filled with chunky spaghetti sauce.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 3, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yeah ok I guess I'll talk about this.

Dinosaurs vs Aliens

Words: Grant Morrison

Art: Mukesh Singh & Liquid Studios

It's...uh...yeah. Dinosaurs vs Aliens. The story follows a group of aliens forced to land on earth after traveling for centuries. They come in contact with the dinosaurs and one thing leads to another and they are fighting.

I guess the story doesn't really matter too much, but then why bother getting Grant Morrison to write it if Barry Sonnenfeld's vision doesn't extend much beyond a little kid playing in a sandbox with action figures? I dunno.

All the dinosaurs all have horns and headdresses and stuff strapped to their bodies somehow and they never explain how. It makes them look kind of neat but dinosaurs already look pretty cool as any 9 year old boy will tell you. The art in general is pretty nice though. The storytelling isn't really amazing but everything looks like it should.

The biggest problem with it though is that it's just part 1 with part 2 not even announced yet. There's barely any dinosaur vs aliens at all as we spend a huge chunk of the book setting up a reason for them to fight and you end up spending 20 dollars for like 62 pages of comic without an ending.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
My comic shop ordered zero of the new glory and then couldn't get the back issues so now I'm just waiting for the trade that comes out next month I think.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Thrizzle #8 is worth it just for "Murder She Goat."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Just a reminder: make sure you pick up Godzilla: The Half Century War today. If only to see what James Stokoe has been doing instead of giving us Orc Stain :mad:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hey guess what comics were totally amazing this week?

The answer is Conan and Godzilla, obviously. Everyone buy those.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Punk Rock Jesus is actually pretty good, despite it's stupid name. I would check it out if you like sci-fi and/or Sean Murphy art.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Thunderfinger posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this, but does anyone else remember news about a comic adaption of the tv show Charmed? I vaguely remember reading an article about it, but I don't know who was making it or who was publishing it or if it ever saw the light of day. So does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did anything ever come about it?
Googling "charmed comic" brings up the wikipedia page as the first hit :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charmed_(comic_book)

It looks like it does exist and is written and drawn by nobodies and published by a company I've never heard of. I thought for sure it would be IDW or Dark Horse but I guess not.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Zenith Nadir posted:

Speaking of Geof Darrow, did his "Shaolin Cowboy" ever get completed or collected? It's been years since I've heard word about that.
Shaolin Cowboy actually just had a little book of prose stories with little Geof Darrow doodles in the margins come out. It's not super great but it does have a preview of a new Shaolin Cowboy #1 that Dark Horse is putting out next year sometime.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I got Freelancers #1 today because it was a dollar and it had Felipe Smith's name on it. And, well, it's kinda bad. It's basically exactly like Dirty Pair or Gunsmith Cats but with none of the charm that makes those fun to read. And Smith didn't even write any of it and only did a few pages of nice art in a backup.

I feel kind of bad telling people not to buy something that's only a dollar but it's really probably safe to give this one a pass, even at that price. You might want to just flip to the backup and look at the little girls beating up hobos though since that's pretty funny.

What you SHOULD get today though is 47 Ronin because it's any decent comic fan's duty to support Stan Sakai in all that he does.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I finally managed to pick up the newest issue of Glory and I still kinda like it. It's not really anything groundbreaking in the story it's telling but Ross Campbell's art is fun to look at.

Glory's sister kind of cracks me up though because she really feels like someone's Glory fan-character you'd see on deviantart or tumblr. "She's just like Glory except she's super pretty and has cool hair and a tail but she's totally a bad-rear end and has tons of sex and she told her mom to gently caress OFF when she said she was too young to do cool stuff."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
A thing I got today

I Love Trouble by Kel Symons and Mark A. Robinson

First off, this is printed on weird paper. It smells weird and it feels weird and I didn't like it.

Anyway, it's about a girl who discovers that she can teleport after she reflexively saves herself from a plane crash. And she does what any kind of sleezy person would do when they discover they have this amazing ability: she sets out to make herself some cash and steal some fine art that she hangs up on her wall with a staple gun. But soon she and her boyfriend get involved with some shady people who want to exploit her and her power for their own gain.

The art feels...cramped. It's not bad, certainly, if you enjoy Humberto Ramos kind of stuff. It's expressive and fits the tone of the story. But it does only occupy the middle of the page. There's a huge amount of just empty space on every page and I don't know why. We've had "print to the edge of the page" technology for like 100 years now. It just makes everything seem small and hard to read.

I dunno. I guess I'd give it a C+. Not bad but not really anything important that you need to check out.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Slackerish posted:

I'm trying to read a comic series that takes place predominately on the sea. Pirates, sea-like adventures, I've been trying to read a lot of those types of stories lately and I have no idea where to start. Thanks!
You could read The Massive! It's about a ship sailing around after a total ecological collapse. But I guess the first trade isn't out until march :(

Also Brian Wood's Conan has spent a lot of time with a pirate queen and Conan on a boat. Good stuff. This is coming out in trade a little sooner as seen here.

Also there's about a million billion volumes of One Piece you could read. I haven't read any myself but I understand it to be pretty good.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Blacksad is kind of tricky because there really aren't a whole lot of things like it. Maybe look at some of Darwyn Cooke's Parker books. They're kind of at the very opposite end of the spectrum, art wise, but it's still solid cartooning and storytelling with a good crime story along with it. Maybe from there Brubaker's Criminal stuff. David Lapham's Stay Bullets too, as much of it as you can find.

If you liked Prophet then you'd probably like Brandon Graham's other stuff. King City is a monster of a book for very cheap. If you want to drop some coin then you should get the Incal by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius.

Thinking about this made me realize I have basically zero sci fi alien comics without superheroes. Weird.

And here's my totally unsolicited, unwanted recommendation for Pluto by Naoki Urasawa. It's a sci-fi detective story about robots that loosely follows the plot of Astro Boy. It's basically brilliant.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Today is the end of American Elf

End of an era.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Just in case anyone was wondering Fiona and Cake #1 is really good. I'm sure that anyone buying the Adventure Time comics would probably get it anyway but I just wanted to assuage any fears.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yeah I just got Prophet today too. No Brandon Graham but the fill in issue was pretty good so I don't mind!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm pretty sure the last Multiple Warheads has the most puns ever put into a single comic. I don't know if I can deal with this.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

friendo55 posted:

Anyone else pick up the first issue of Snapshot from Image? My local shop had one left in stock when I stopped in about a half hour ago. Being new to comics and having never heard of Diggle and Jock, it was the noir aesthetics of the cover that caught my eye. Being just a 4-issue miniseries I figure why not give it a shot?

The guy behind the counter then told me to read The Losers ASAP. Is the comic series better than the movie released a couple years back? The omnibus editions are going for $15 apiece on amazon which isn't bad at all.
The movie is based directly on the Diggle and Jock Losers, even copying some of the scenes almost exactly. But from what I remember the book was tense and exciting where the movie was just kind of generic. Aisha (the character Zoe Saldana played) in particular is much more interesting.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Is there an Elena story? She's my favorite Street Fighter :shobon:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Guys. Guys I have a confession. I...I didn't really like Happy. Something about it just never totally clicked in my head.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Man I had a bunch of comics end today. Glory and Godzilla knocked it out of the park. Planetoid was not as good but still a pretty solid finish to the series.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Planetoid ended this week on issue 5? I'm only asking because I thought it had ended with issue 4 awhile back, but then I saw 5 on the shelf last week...
I get my books every other week so I'm a little behind. It sure feels like #5 is the "end" of the story.

The constant delays really did not do Planetoid any favors in the storytelling department.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Len posted:

Someone tell me that Stokoe is going to be making more Godzilla in the future.
He can't because I'm going to lock him in my comic dungeon until he produces enough for at least another orc stain trade.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Double post but I was curious so I asked:

He doesn't explicitly rule out that there might be a Prophet/Glory's family in a space winnebago crossover!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
A preview of EMPOWERED: ANIMAL STYLE is up at CBR