Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, Lapham just announced Stray Bullets is finally getting resurrected at Image. Issue 41 is scheduled for march, along with a massive collected edition of all previous issues (scheduled to release the same day as 41) and a new miniseries called Stray Bullets: Killers. Easily the best comic news of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

I've been looking for the 3rd collection for a while, but it is impossible to find, so I am very happy about the Uber Alles edition coming out.

I found it a year or two back in a 50% off hc graphic novel bin at comicon. It sucks that the last run of issues were never properly collected into a 4th hardcover, but the first three look real nice on my shelf (and I love how the bold red/green/blue colored covers look when they're sitting next to each other).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Evan Dorkin's finally releasing the new Eltingville Club book in April.

Between Stray Bullets in March and Eltingville in April, I don't think I've been this excited about new old comics in a while.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Stray Bullets: Killers #2 came out this week. Virginia is back already, I was
expecting the focus to shift from her for a little longer. The first issue fits into place after seeing Eli comes around and he doesn't seem too hosed up emotionally like I figured he would be. The issue was fun for the most part, but the ending was so horribly depressing I don't want to read it again any time soon.

You know, I've been following this book since the first issue (even though mine's just a lowly 3rd printing), and have waiting for this series to start back for the better part of a decade, and after rereading the whole thing, on top of the two new books, I'm kinda dreading where the story is going. I'm not alone in thinking (SPOILER/THEORY) Virginia is the body in the trunk in the very first issue, right?

e: Also, next week, Evan Dorkin's releasing a new Eltingville book. I think I read he has one more stand-alone planned after this, then will collect all of them in one fancy schmancy hardcover. Can't wait!

http://evandorkin.livejournal.com/308685.html

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 18, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Alan Moore's run technically ended with that issue involving the 'new' Supremium Man and the Jimmy Olsen Analogue turning out to be this new Supremium Man in yet another weird recursive timeline thing iirc. But Moore still had one more script written that was never drawn/published. This issue was drawn by Larsen about 2 years ago and basically it picks up on the Darius Dax ruling Daxia subplot that never played out in Moore's run. Unfortunately that issue was largely a cliffhanger but it's still pretty good overall.

....Then Larsen continued writing and drawing Supreme and it's honestly not that good though I can kinda see what he was trying to do with it, edgy 90s Supreme comes back and the story kinda grinds to a halt with just 90s Supreme going on a rampage for like 5 issues straight. And then it suddenly gets cancelled on yet another cliffhanger.

I'd probably get a hold of the last issue written by Moore since I remember it still being good, but hopefully Ellis's run will pick up from there and largely ignore Larsen's stuff. It sounds like it is judging by the references to Darius Dax ruling the world but no mention of Liefeld Supreme.

I liked the ideas that Larsen was playing with in his run (the multiverse Supremes all getting power negated, leaving only EXXXXXTREME 90S SUPREME as king rear end in a top hat) but yeah, the idea never really got off the ground (although I liked the bit about the one Supreme with a Lion head getting depowered... but still having the head of a lion, so he's just some dude with a lion head.) and the book just meandered until it was cancelled, which was a shame.

I love Larsen, but whenever he plays in someone else's yard, it doesn't feel as tight as with what he's doing with Savage Dragon.

e: Reminder, Evan Dorkin's new Eltingville comes out today!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 23, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Killers is actually my first foray into Stray Bullets, but holy gently caress do I love it. I think I am going to pick up the Uber Alles version of the original series sooner rather than later.

Yesssss. Lapham's so on loving point with that book. If you end up blowing through all his Stray Bullets stuff you should check out a few of his other projects. Silverfish and Murder Me Dead are pretty goddamn great and Young Liars is a mixture of dream imagery and crime noir, so it's basically a David Lapham book on acid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In other Lapham news, the Murder Me Dead trade paperback is being re-released through Image. gently caress yeah. :c00l:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pugnax posted:

Read Supreme: Blue Rose #2 last night. I like it - the first issue inspired me to go reread Planetary, and after that I'm really looking forward to where Ellis takes it. My FLCS employee and I started talking about other godawful Liefield/Image books that could get the reboot treatment. Like a Gaiman Spawn, Lemire Savage Dragon,or Brubaker Wetworks.

Gaiman already worked on Spawn and then turned around and sued McFarlane so I doubt either of those guys will work with each other again (but then again, they both like money so who knows), and Larsen's always letting indie guys take a crack at his character. He's constantly running 3-5 page shorts by no-name guys who bring a unique look and story to the table in the back of his monthly book, as well as giving guys like Chris Eliopoulos a place to experiment on characters and stories (Desperate Times needs to come back NOW). Lemire would be a cool choice though to do a short story, I totally agree, and since I'm such a Larsen fanboy, I'll just go ahead and post this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Son of a bitch, I knew this would happen, and I was going to ask the clerk at my comic shop, but figured they'd be on top of it, but nope. They didn't bother adding the new Stray Bullets arc to my pull list since Lapham re-numbered the series again to go along with the new name (SB: Sunshine & Roses). Now I have to wait for my comic shop to back order the first issue for me.

Jumped right into issue 2 tho, loving the return of ORSON! I'm going to have such mixed feelings over this arc since Orson was my favorite character in the Somewhere Out West storyline and his end was so tragic, but since his future and outcome's already established, Orson's taken on a Marv-like invincible-ness with his crazy wildness in this story, which is pretty cool. Also, Joey's totally Harry's kid and Lapham's set another piece to the puzzle that he started with issue 1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing, the first arc starts off as a super-good teen superhero book! Then there's some ultraviolence, but it's built to well enough that you can roll with it as selling the stakes. Then the series keeps going and it becomes increasingly clear that the shock and violence aren't being done for dramatic effect, as much as because Kirkman doesn't know any other way to tell stories.

I kinda feel like people stick this "it started out as a fun superhero book!" tag to Invincible, when in actuality, it was only six issues in when the Omni-Man heel turn happens and the book goes into bodies-exploding territory.

Not to mention Kirkman's always been an unapologetic Erik Larsen fan, whose own Image book heavily influenced young Kirkman. The guy was never aiming at an intellectualy dissection of the superhero myth ala Morrison or Ellis. Were you really expecting anything else by a guy who got into comics with a book that had covers like this (slightly :nws:)? Really?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I doubt it. I think he's been able to do this stuff and make money/get acclaim, so what's his incentive to do anything differently?

I also think if Invincible's 'hook' was meant to be "oh, man, if Superman REALLY fought people, they'd, like, totally EXPLODE into blood and guts and poo poo dude!", that he maybe shouldn't have made the 'Ultimate Superboy' stuff way better than that part.

I think it was less whatever it is you wrote and more "what if superman actually came from an unbelievably advanced militaristic alien race" and went from there. When you take a step back and really look at the book, it's always been about the Viltrumites' campaign of ultimately settling Earth and for a race whose lifespan lasts thousands of years, there's been some huge leaps of forward progress in that story arc.

The only thing I can think of that the book's currently lacking is probably more mustaches.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not even going to spoiler it because gently caress Neonomicon, but a woman gets raped repeatedly by a deep one for like 2-3 issues, if not more. It might have worked as horror in the "real horror" sense, but then there are moments of inappropriate or misplaced levity like her giving the thing a hand job because she was exhausted or something.

There was a time when I would have been super excited to see Alan Moore do a story of Lovecraftian horror, but that time has apparently long passed.

I don't think the handjob scene was supposed to be levity, just a break in all the disgust-filled poo poo and tension of that book. And the prospect of an Alan Moore Lovecraft story should loving terrify you, not excite you, isn't that the point of Lovecraftian horror? To expose you to the unimagineable and push you to the absolute edge of the void?

I wouldn't say I'm excited that Alan Moore's doing Crossed +100, but it's easily one of the most compelling books he's put out in a while. I had no idea there was a prequel to Neonomicon. I'll have to check it out.

More later.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Its an american version of the saiyan arc of Dragonball Z.

They're still fighting? It's been days.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Larsen just posted the cover to Savage Dragon #209 on his facebook, it got a laugh out of me considering how people thought the book was veering into teen sex comedy territory what with all the loving going on in the book.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After browsing through that at the comic shop I'm just going to assume Rob Liefeld's never actually seen a human penis. That book looked all kinds of bad.

As for alt comics, Evan Dorkin's Dork! And Johnny Ryan's Hate were staples of my teenage years, along with David Lapham's Stray Bullets, tho that last one couldn't really be considered alt I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man was Crossed +100 #6 such a gnarly loving book. Probably one of the most haunting stories I've ever read. It's what gives people who already live in the apocalypse nightmares.

I kinda wish Alan Moore continues with the story, or at least delves back into this world. Not many writers or artists can handle a book like this. Most of the ones out there are terrible. Ennis and Burrows on the first book and the first badlands arc were probably the best because both the story and art delt more with the horror of the situation than by focusing on the carnage. And as much as I love the guy, David Lapham's arcs have been wide misses for me. The one with the bikers was kinda goofy, but psychopath was just gross for grossness' sake. The least said about Crossed 3-D, the better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The last and final Eltingville comic came out yesterday and it's everything I've ever wanted in an Evan Dorkin comic. It even has a loving Svengoolie reference.

My only wish is that Evan would've had it ready and premiered it at sdcc seeing as how it's the setting for the book.

Eltingville über alles.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Invincible can get as stupid as it wants just as long as Ryan Ottley keeps delivering on the art carnage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I should smack you for putting Frank Cho in the same company as Greg Land.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I don't read Island because Brandon Graham, while making things I like, has super weird and questionable taste. There's like two comics in it I find interesting and the rest are viscerally not my poo poo. It's sad because I'd like to see more anthologies but it's hard to justify shelling out the price of two or three other comics for like a dozen pages of something I want.

Same thing goes for Dark Horse Presents too, but Onta definitely doesn't help.

Bring back Popgun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Invincible bummed the gently caress out of me with Oliver's funeral. His mustache will be missed.

On the other hand, Stray Bullets has been a loving gas and Orson was amazing in the last issue. It reminds me of something Erik Larsen once said about Marv in Sin City. When Orson died in the first Stray Bullets run, I was devastated. He's one of my favorite fictional characters. And now that he's back in this interim story, he's taken on this invincible role because he can't die. No matter what he does. So when you see him drunkenly smashing his car head on into things, it almost becomes absurd in how he'll walk away unscathed. I'm loving it.

Long live Long Shlong Derek Ding Dong.

Also, it's crazy to think Kretchmyer's first appearance was in a teaser solicitation for the book in Diamond in 1995 and he didn't actually show up in the book until a couple years ago.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wow, that new issue of Savage Dragon escalated the nudity and sex pretty rapidly in just one issue. Was not ready for that, but I couldn't help but laugh my rear end off at the splash page of Malcolm Dragon fighting off a bunch of fire creatures with their fire cock and balls dangling everywhere.

New Stray Bullets had me grinning from cover to cover. Derek, Derek! RIDE ME LIKE AN OIL DERRICK. I hope this current arc never ends.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

People complain about the gore in Invincible, but Ryan Ottley's made HUGE leaps in his art style while working on that book, his outer space stuff was phenomenal. I was really happy that the book took place in alien environments for a couple arcs and let Ottley really shine.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Question for anyone reading Stray Bullets.

In the last issue, Sunshine & Roses #28, Orson's bananas were just in his imagination, right? What exactly was he eating instead that everyone was puking over? Just sausages getting more and more rotten?

Yeah, that was my reading of it too. I figured he was reloading the empty banana peel with sausage links and chowing down which was grossing everyone out.

I'm loving Derek. I wonder if Lapham is a fan of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I own a page from Dork! and it's one of my prized art pieces. It bums me the gently caress out that Dorkin's not living like the comic book royalty he is.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Finally got a chance to sit down and read the last Stray Bullets and I didn't see either of the two swerves coming, Amy Racecar is a creation of Beth's, not Virginia's, and Love Yourself survived his run-in with Monster and shows up out of nowhere to save Beth who's in the hospital for some unknown reason.

I'm pretty happy about the second spoiler. When Lapham introduced the character, I was bummed that he seemingly got rid of him in the same issue he debuted in, but it's looking like that's not the case. I thought for sure he'd be another Led, who showed up after one appearance back in like issue 5, only to go out like a chump. Lapham has a habit of making extremely likable side characters, only to have them get done in just when you're starting to get comfortable with them.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Dark Horse and Netflix signed a deal giving Netflix first-look rights for both TV and movie adaptations of all Dark Horse properties:

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-inks-first-look-deal-with-dark-horse-entertainment

Wonder if we'll see another Hellboy reboot in a few years.

gently caress Hellboy, gimme dat Concrete netflix series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon #250 came out this week. Congrats to Erik Larsen for the milestone.

The Walt Simonson cover is my favorite of the variants and now I wish he’d write and draw a one-shot with the Dragon kids.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erik Larsen posted a new alt cover for Savage Dragon 253.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon 252, which was Larsen’s tribute to comic strip funnies, sold out and is heading back to press with a new cover.

The original cover was a tribute to Blondie, and each double page spread dedicated to different styles and different strips.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon 253 is getting a third printing. Last time that happened was the Obama cover.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Insert a Name Here posted:

Lee and Ditko sure argued over politics in comics a lot, but they were smart enough to not be so obvious. Apparently "Bomb Queen" sells well for the same reason.

Whoops, meant 252 in that post.

Savage Dragon 253 is getting a 2nd reprint as well since the Joe Biden endorsement cover sold out. Larsen’s going back to press with a slightly tweaked cover (different color bg, new word balloon for Malcolm congratulating the president elect). I was just surprised 252 has gotten as much love as it has, the salute to the classic funnies was a fun experiment that looks like it paid off.

Erik just posted the cover for 258 too, I’m loving the retro image header.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 18, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It seems like everything has low print runs these days and immediately becomes hard to find after a few months.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erik Larsen’s first printed comic book work was Graphic Fantasy, self-published in 1982. He re-released it this week through Image Comics and tried to keep it as close to how it was originally published, minus the printing gaffes like the color offset and moire patterns, but preserving the similar paper stock and print quality. It’s pretty cool to see this thing (and Graphic Fantasy 2) back in print and on the comic rack.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought this was pretty cool. So the original Graphic Fantasy came out in 1982. In 1999, Erik Larsen reincorporated his Graphic Fantasy storyline into his then ongoing plot in Savage Dragon with issues 63 and 65. Those stories were then reprinted in black and white in the Archives Vol 3 edition in 2013. Graphic Fantasy was released this month, so if you have the 3rd volume of the Archives edition and the new GF reprints you can check out the side by side comparison of Erik’s art in the same story told 17 years apart.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just realized I never actually saw the Peter David/Todd McFarlane debate despite constantly hearing about it ever since it happened. I never knew it was on youtube in it's entirety. It's pretty wild, and I wish there were more of these legendary panels recorded for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYsLflp9gU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ed Piskor’s Red Room is coming out next Wednesday, I’m pretty hyped on that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dustin Nguyen’s art is so drat good on that book. So glad I picked up the first issue on a whim when it first hit the stands.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, Rich Woodall got Simon Bisley for a variant cover to the first issue of Gods of Brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New issue of Savage Dragon (260, only 40 more til 300!) is pretty wild, there’s a move in there straight out of Story of Ricky.

Also, Larsen’s letterer quit last month so while looking for a new one, he decided to release two versions of the latest comic, the regular cover comic is lettered by Russ Wooton, and the 70s Marvel cover dress version is lettered by Jack Morelli. It’s pretty subtle but it’s a cool little experiment, does anyone know if there have been other comics where there’s two versions with different letterers?