Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

arinlome posted:

Title: Locke & Key
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.
I've been hearing about how good Locke & Key is (and it's drawn by a very good chilean artist so that's a plus) so I've been meaning to pick it up, but I read Joe Hill's short-stories book, 20th century ghost and really disliked his writing. Have you read the book? and if so, is the writing on the comic similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Unmature posted:

That's the best pitch I've heard for a comic in years. Looking into this now.

There's also Five Weapons from Image by Jimmie Robinson, which is more "kiddy-friendly" than Deadly Class (simpler story, lighter art, no killing on-screen despite being a school of assassins, etc).

Here are Comics Alliance's review of the first 2 issues (the first storyline is collected on a TPB)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is anyone here into Love & Rockets? I read the giant Palomar and Locas hardcovers over a decade ago, but recently I've been reading all of Jaime's stories (the Locas continuity) from the beginning. I'm not done yet, and I don't think Hoopla has every single volume, but I've made it through a good chunk of his material and enjoyed everything a lot more this time through. His art and storytelling are just so fantastic, and he draws some of the prettiest women in comics, without resorting to pure cheesecake all the time.

Has anyone ever tried adapting Love & Rockets? Even though they're mostly "slice of life" stories with the occasional magical realism twist (after Jaime moved away from the earlier sci-fi/adventure stuff), I can't see them working in any other medium.

I love Love & Rockets (more into the Jaime stuff. I liked Beto's Palomar stories, but the adventures of Luba and his sisters leave me super cold). I remember in the old singles letter columns they mentioned it being optioned or adapted for a movie, but that was in the 80's so it obviously never came up again.
While the book is incredible and a critical darling, I don't think it has the cultural caché it once did outside of comics in the 90's, so I don't believe it would be adapted any time soon. I wish it did, mainly so that Los Bros could get a nice paycheck more than anything.

The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me make an incredible two part story about the loves in Maggies life and about herself. It's been one of my favorite parts. Better than The Death of Speedy even!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

YESSSS. Since I posted that in mid-October, I finished all the available Jaime L&R material on Hoopla in order, ending with the powerful one-two punch of The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me?. I loved everything, especially those. I wish I owned the volumes so I could have taken my time with them and referred back to things later on. Sometimes it was hard keeping track of everyone and everything, but it was such a rewarding experience, binge-reading all the Locas stories in a row this fall. I was really rooting for Maggie and ***Ray*** to end up happy, ideally together, so that was nice to see how they came out.

About The Death of Speedy... it was ambiguous, but he did kill himself, right?

Death of Speedy Spoilers
I'd need to re-read it, but from what I remember it's left ambiguous. Maybe he got killed by Rojo's gang, maybe he killed himself, maybe both

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's a week of my bloodshot eyes staring at wiki pages, is what it is.

I thought Magic lore was just "If Jace isn't in the story, characters should ask "Where is Jace" "

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DREDD is the movie universe and Judge Dredd is the regular comic universe, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

I caught up on the last two issues of Love & Rockets and like-- I think the Tonta stuff is great, I love it, the story with her and Maggie on the beach was fantastic, but I feel like Beto has completely just lost me. I feel like all of the Fritz stuff has been kind of a decline but I was surprised to find myself at the point where I went from skimming to just skipping his pages. Does anyone want to take a stab at a defense of his recent work? I don't want to dislike it, I just can't find my way in at all.

I'm with you. Beto's work really went downhill after his Luba in America, and the Fritz stuff is just unreadable. It's a shame, since his Palomar stuff was on par with Jaime's best work. Beto's cartooning has also suffered a lot.

Hell, at this point I'd prefer Mario's stories to his.