Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never even heard of Ether, but I read all of Mind MGMT last year and absolutely loved it. The art took some getting used to, but it does seem tailor-made for an excellent TV adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy poo poo, Deadly Class. I recently binge-read the first five volumes, since I had borrowed them from Hoopla and had them downloaded to my iPad in the days leading up to and during Hurricane Irma. Wow! It wasn't on my radar at all until a friend with good taste recommended it, and even then I was worried it would be too much like Hunger Games-meets-Harry Potter, or more generally, YA fiction-meets-manga.

I didn't expect to love it, or become so emotionally involved, or marvel in how dark it was. And the ending of Volume 5 -- wow, I hardly know what to think!

Since I hadn't paid attention to it at all, what did people think about it here? I just found some articles from July 2016 that Remender and the Russo Brothers were pushing to make it a TV show. It screams out for some sort of adaptation, as long as standard broadcast networks stay far, far away.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think Remender is great at humor and to me the book was just murder Hogwarts and I didn't care for it.

One thing I didn't find it to be at all was humorous. It was actually really depressing, but parts of it felt very true, like maybe based on parts of Remender's adolescence -- the stupid love triangles, the STD scare, and all that drug use. I was worried it would be just "murder Hogwarts," but I thought it was more interesting that certain characters were set up from the beginning to be expendable sacrifices for the more connected legacy students to cull, but none of them had been warned by their parents or anyone else how the school works. I also thought it was odd that we spent such little time with the students in classes, and that they had so much freedom and leisure time to have part-time jobs, party, and screw around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone continued reading Copra? Did Michel Fiffe wrap it up? I read the first two TPBs, as a fellow fan of John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but I wish I liked Copra more than I did.

It's interesting that all these indie guys like Fiffe and Ed Piskor love Liefeld so much. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Scioli is a Liefeld fan too. I'm guessing they're all around the same age.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Fiffe and Piskor are 37 and 35. Looking at a picture of Scioli I'd say he's a bit younger, but hard to say. In any case, that would put the latter two at just about the right age to have been picking up Liefeld stuff in his prime, so it's not really a shock.

I figured as much, since I'm 39 and I feel like I share their cultural touchstones and influences.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone familiar with Insight Comics or writer Steve Horton? I've never heard of either, but I am so down for a David Bowie graphic novel with art by Mike and Laura Allred:
https://www.newsarama.com/37829-allreds-drawing-david-bowie-title.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Like, the very beginning

I had it on my list as a prequel for authority, do I only need to read Ellis' run for that?

I wouldn't waste any time at all with Stormwatch until Ellis came aboard with... #37, I think, without looking it up. Before that, it was the most generic Image trash, and I say that as a Wildcats fan. Ellis will fill you in on anything you need to know, which isn't much.

I actually prefer Ellis' Stormwatch to much of his too-short Authority run, which I greatly prefer to every bit of Authority that came afterwards.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone familiar with Space Riders from Black Mask Studio? Mike Allred tweeted out a few pages, and the art by Alexis Ziritt looks trippy and psychedelic, like a cross between Allred himself, Tom Scioli, and some kind of grotesque Fantagraphics-style artist, with bright, loud colors.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

I just got into comics like one month ago and I've read a fair chunk of stuff since starting. I have no interest in any superhero stuff. Here are my impressions of what I read so far:

Chew (read TP volume 1 only): I found this very good once it got going. I was put off at first by the art style, but once the story took off I felt it worked perfectly. The art style straddles the line between serious and funny, which is exactly what the story/writing/plot/characters do as well. I really want to read more of this, but there are so many volumes (12 in total I think) that I'm holding off on it so I can finish up shorter stuff first.

Deadly Class (read TP volume 1 only): I didn't think I would like this as much as I did. I found the art style really underwhelming when I flipped through it, but once I actually read it REALLY impressed me. I think this art style did motion better than most everything else I've read. The first chase sequence was so well done, and it completely won me over. I did find there was a part earlier on where the writing got a bit heavy-handed. The protag is expositing exactly how he feels to this dude he just met. It made sense, sort of, in context of what had happened, but it took me out of the story a bit. That was the only negative though, and I've already ordered like five more TPs of this.

Papergirls (read TP volume 1 only): Pretty good, but I'd have to read another TP to really decide. I liked all of the characters quite a lot, and I dug the art style. The plot/setting is like...from volume 1 alone I just don't have enough information to decide or to know where it's going. A lot of crazy stuff happens, and depending on what they do with that I may or may not really like this. If they just go totally "Lost" and make poo poo up as they go, it will be weak. If they have an actual idea in mind of where it's going and work toward that, I think it could be super cool. I probably will start ordering more of these once I finish Deadly Class and Saga.

I'm also interest in checking out Low, East of West, Black Science, and Seven to Eternity.
Chew ended up becoming one of my all-time favorite series, and one of the character descriptions even inspired me to start a food blog. It's great. Not many other properties can blend action, mystery, horror, sci-fi, comedy, and drama like it does. It might seem long, but everything remains pretty fast and light reading.

I didn't love Deadly Class, but it certainly entertained me at the time. Catch up while you can, because a TV adaptation is debuting on SyFy at some point soon.

And I always recommend Paper Girls to anyone who enjoyed Stranger Things on Netflix, which is most people I know. I've read the first three volumes, but with far too many months in between, so a lot of impact is lost for me because I've forgotten key details.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Burned through Matt Kindt’s Mind MGMT. it’s real good.

I don’t actually have much to say about it though. Kindt is a great storyteller with a very unique artstyle. Reminds me of Lemire in a lot of ways. Very loose. This is a great meandering supernatural /conspiracy / spy story that takes a long time to get to where it’s going but does a great job of paying it all off by the end.

Big recommendation from me if you haven’t read it already. Kindt is now definitely on my must read indie creators list.

I loved Mind MGMT! (We continue to have similar taste, Jordan7hm.) The whole time, I kept thinking about what a great show it would make -- something like LOST that teases out mysteries and twists, but ultimately more coherent and satisfying. But it relies so much on its print format, especially the incredible margin notes, I think even reading it on a screen would lose some of the effect. What a great series, though. I checked out all the volumes from my public library, but I wouldn't mind owning them at some point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Late chime-in to say I unironically love him too.

I think overall it's rare to get truly top quality writing & art from the same source. Usually one of the two lacks behind the other. In the case of Scioli, I do think his writing is weaker than his art.

I think with this Go Bots title specifically, the observation that it almost appears to be fanfic probably isn't far off. That said, I think that's kinda the appeal. It's not targeting mainstream readers.

The book feels like it could have been something someone was sketching in the back of their highschool notebook. It feels indie as hell. The colored pencil style art really leans into that and is done in raw sort of way that you don't get from Marvel or DC or even really Image titles anymore.
I wasn't blown away by Scioli's Super Powers backups in Cave Carson, but I liked American Barbarian a lot for its unhinged Kirby-sequel weirdness, and I loved Transformers vs. GI Joe. It really did feel like a crazy creative 12-year-old's homemade fanfic comics, in the best possible way. I just finally read it all last month, after owning the TPBs for far too long, so it's all still fresh in my head.

I was the biggest Transformers and GI Joe fan, being the perfect age at their '80s peaks. I collected the toys, watched the cartoons, and at one point owned every single issue of both Marvel series, including any related miniseries and tie-in issues. And I loved how Scioli (and co-writer John Barber) threw all those mythologies into a blender, salvaged what worked, and followed their own paths for the rest.

I'm not sure how much credit Barber deserves, since Scioli was definitely the star. I wonder if he was kind of like Mark Frost on Twin Peaks, reigning in some of David Lynch's most inaccessible ideas and strangest impulses to emerge with more of a standard narrative.

And I haven't read Go-Bots yet, so I don't know if pure, unfiltered Scioli will be better or worse.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of IDW's refreshing takes on '80s toy comics, I just finished a rereading binge of issues #61-100 of Larry Hama's Marvel G.I. Joe series, after rereading #1-60 over the last few years. I had the entire 155-issue run and all the related series as a kid, read them countless times, and always thought they were pretty great. Reading them as an adult, I think they have aged remarkably well as a whole, especially compared to Marvel's Transformers series at the same time and a lot of the Big Two's '80s output. There were some boring stories that I remember being boring as a kid, but the good ones were still good, and I remembered them so vividly, right down to individual characters' lines. I could always tell Hama had his favorite characters, but was forced by Marvel and Hasbro to keep including the new characters that showed up as toys every year, and shoehorn their vehicles into it too. As a result, only a handful of characters received any kind of development or personalities beyond one or two identifying traits.

Well, I just finished reading a more modern IDW G.I. Joe storyline, collected in G.I. Joe: Cobra: The Last Laugh. It was all about Chuckles, a G.I. Joe undercover agent known for wearing Hawaiian shirts, going deep undercover in different criminal and terrorist organizations, hoping to get noticed and recruited by Cobra. (This is a different continuity than Hama's comics, far darker and more "realistic," in a timeline where Cobra is a new and mostly-unknown threat.) Chuckles does horrible things in order to survive and keep his cover, and there are double- and triple-crosses, shocking deaths, and unmatched character development. It reminded me heavily of Sleeper, by far my favorite of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' collaborations. I was blown away by how good it was and how much I enjoyed it. It was co-written by Christos Gage (always a solid writer, but he never seems to break into people's A-list) and Mike Costa, who I was unfamiliar with. After binge-reading 40 issues of Hama's '80s G.I. Joe series in a few days, this felt like going from Silver Age Stan Lee comics to a modern writer like Alan Moore, Frank Miller, or, appropriately, Ed Brubaker.

The IDW Transformers comics get a lot of discussion and a lot of love in the BSS Transformers thread, and I really enjoyed the little I've read of James Roberts' Transfomers: More Than Meets the Eye series. But has anyone else read this Cobra: The Last Laugh series, or any of the other IDW G.I. Joe comics? I have a lot of nostalgia for the toys, Marvel Comics, and even the cartoon, even though I sold all my comics and toys to help put myself through grad school. I would be very interested if any of the other series are this good, or if anyone wants to discuss this one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

seems pretty armless to me.

I need you to know that I appreciated this, even if nobody else admits they did.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone here into Love & Rockets? I read the giant Palomar and Locas hardcovers over a decade ago, but recently I've been reading all of Jaime's stories (the Locas continuity) from the beginning. I'm not done yet, and I don't think Hoopla has every single volume, but I've made it through a good chunk of his material and enjoyed everything a lot more this time through. His art and storytelling are just so fantastic, and he draws some of the prettiest women in comics, without resorting to pure cheesecake all the time.

Has anyone ever tried adapting Love & Rockets? Even though they're mostly "slice of life" stories with the occasional magical realism twist (after Jaime moved away from the earlier sci-fi/adventure stuff), I can't see them working in any other medium.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 19, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

I love Love & Rockets (more into the Jaime stuff. I liked Beto's Palomar stories, but the adventures of Luba and his sisters leave me super cold). I remember in the old singles letter columns they mentioned it being optioned or adapted for a movie, but that was in the 80's so it obviously never came up again.
While the book is incredible and a critical darling, I don't think it has the cultural caché it once did outside of comics in the 90's, so I don't believe it would be adapted any time soon. I wish it did, mainly so that Los Bros could get a nice paycheck more than anything.

The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me make an incredible two part story about the loves in Maggies life and about herself. It's been one of my favorite parts. Better than The Death of Speedy even!

YESSSS. Since I posted that in mid-October, I finished all the available Jaime L&R material on Hoopla in order, ending with the powerful one-two punch of The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me?. I loved everything, especially those. I wish I owned the volumes so I could have taken my time with them and referred back to things later on. Sometimes it was hard keeping track of everyone and everything, but it was such a rewarding experience, binge-reading all the Locas stories in a row this fall. I was really rooting for Maggie and ***Ray*** to end up happy, ideally together, so that was nice to see how they came out.

About The Death of Speedy... it was ambiguous, but he did kill himself, right?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I think it's hard to end anything that goes on that long with a satisfactory ending.

I'm trying to think of a long run that ended satisfactorily. Sandman and Lucifer are the longest ones I can think of at 75 issues each, Hellboy/BPRD has to be a lot more issues than that.

Starman had a perfect ending at #80.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Chew had an interesting ending, but Layman is coming out with a spinoff, Chu, about Tony's sister Saffron. The new story might run concurrently to the events in Chew to make readers look at things differently.

Paper Girls' ending made me tear up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone actually following Ed Piskor's Red Room? I think it's only available on Patreon right now, but he has posted dozens of sample panels, and it looks really disturbing and disgusting to me. It seems to be about a secret group that tortures and kills people for fans who pay to watch it live on the Internet, and it looks graphic and gross.

I loved his Hip Hop Family Tree series with all my heart, didn't love X-Men: Grand Design as much as I hoped to (I ended up selling the three volumes), but Red Room looks like something I'd absolutely hate. Is there anything redeeming about it? Piskor seems to have embraced the term "Outlaw Comix," but is that just shorthand for independent comics for mature readers that are usually horror-oriented and gory?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 25, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

This post prompted me to read the 50 or so pages that he’s released on Patreon so far. Caveat to my post: I like Piskor’s art a lot.

So... there is a lot of gore, but that’s not the entirety of the book. He’s telling a pretty interesting story about a world where live-streaming snuff films on the internet is a real thing, and he’s doing the work to build out how a world like that could exist. The story is bigger than the first dozen pages make it appear and I’m actually really curious to see where he goes with it.

I think this is some of the strongest art Piskor has done. The general style of the book is absolutely on point, with the faded black and white pages and the obsessive line work. He’s done some interesting stuff with the lettering, and his panel layouts are really strong - basically every page is free form, but still very readable. When he talked about this book when he was starting it Ed said he wanted to do an outlaw comic with good storytelling, and I think that’s what he’s done so far.

He's an incredible storyteller, I love his layouts, and he's a cool dude in general. I just don't think I could enjoy it. I'm not a horror guy. I enjoyed the Scream series because they're more like whodunnit mysteries and they're so meta and deconstructive, and I liked Cabin in the Woods for the same reason, but I don't dig sadism and gore. I'm glad I introduced you to something you like, though!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've had this double-sided laminated board game poster listed in my SA-Mart sale thread for the longest time, and I thought I would post it here in the Indie Comics thread, just in case. If nobody is interested, I'll throw it up on eBay.

It came in issue #54P of Wizard: The Guide to Comics, from 1996. Back then I laminated it in heavy, rigid plastic to protect it while displaying it on walls, or to be able to play either side as an actual board game. It measures 20 1/4" by 13 3/4", with a clear border just over 1/4" around each side.

Madman by Mike Allred on one side:

Milk and Cheese by Evan Dorkin on the other side:

If you like Madman or Milk and Cheese, it could be a beautiful poster, even if you have no interest in playing either game. I'll have to roll it up in a poster tube to ship it, and I was hoping to get something in the $35 range, but I'm flexible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished reading the first volume of Adventureman by Matt Fraction and Terry and Rachel Dodson, and I loved it. It's a new Image series, and the first four issues were collected in an oversized hardcover that is probably gorgeous, although I read it online as a Hoopla e-book checkout.

It's a homage to Doc Savage, where the titular Adventureman and his team of friends and fellow heroes from a glorious Art Deco age sacrificed themselves to stop an ultimate evil and were forgotten, except their stories lived on in rare and obscure pulp novels. A single mom who inherited her late mother's bookstore is still a fan and collector, and she and her son know the Adventureman stories inside and out. She is part of a family of overachieving adopted sisters, all of different races and ethnicities, and all successful specialists in their fields. (Even cooler, the female lead and one of the other sisters have disabilities, but still lead very full lives.)

If you can guess where that all might lead, you're probably right, but it's a fun, exciting, funny, and GORGEOUS comic. I've never seen the Dodsons' art look more stunning, and Fraction clearly has a lot of love for Doc Savage and the old pulp heroes and their networks of allies and friends. He introduced a similar team for Orson Randall, Danny Rand's pulpy predecessor, back in Immortal Iron Fist, and I always wanted to see more of that team. I have love for the old pulp heroes and Golden Age "mystery men" too, although I never enjoy those original stories as much as I want to. For me, the setting and aesthetics have a lot to do with why I like them. In his notes at the end of the book, Fraction comments on how many of the old pulp stories have aged poorly due to sexism, racism, and colonialism, and this was his change to take everything he loves about the genre (which seems to be what I also love) and put a modern spin on it.

I'm so glad it's going to be a continuing series, and not just a miniseries. Fraction might be my current favorite writer in comics, since he can write virtually any genre, and is almost always able to inject humor into his stories.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 8, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I hadn't heard about that before, and it sounds great. Love the premise, like you said Fraction is one of my favorite writers currently, and the Dodsons do amazing art that I feel doesn't get them enough attention. Red One was a really good looking book, and fun too.

I hope you check it out. If your public library offers the Hoopla service, you can literally check it out, but I may actually want to own this in hardcover, and I NEVER buy hardcovers.

By the way, my favorite comic of 2020 (even though I didn't read it until January 2021) was Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, one of the funniest drat comics I've ever read, but also a really clever and twisty mystery by Fraction and Steve Lieber.

And I have never heard of Red One, so now I need to seek that out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 8, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay so, Outer Darkness. Did season 2 ever get started? i.e. post mutiny / ship stealing?

It was canceled, and John Layman is very disheartened and disappointed about how that all went down.

But don't miss the Chew/Outer Darkness crossover.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody have fav Brubaker and/or Phillips books? Thinking I'll finally dive into some of those. I've got a couple big Criminal books, first two of Reckless, and some from a Humble Bundle etc, they all look pretty solid. And any favs from the crime / noir genre in general?

My favorite of their collaborations was Sleeper, which was a Wildstorm series 20 years ago, so technically it is set in the DC Universe now. It's about a super-powered government agent who goes deep undercover in a supervillain/criminal/terrorist organization. When his handler is shot and left for dead, nobody else knows he's really one of the good guys, so he is trapped and has to do some evil things with evil people to survive.

There is a pretty important prelude to Sleeper called Point Blank, but Phillips didn't draw it. Still good, though.

After that, I love Reckless and Pulp, but you can't go wrong with any of their stuff. I thought Fatale was never as good after the first volume, and Incognito and The Fade Out remain pretty underrated.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm intrigued, but I hope Skybound also reprints the Marvel and especially IDW material.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone reading What's the Furthest Place from Here? I recently read the first two TPBs, and it is haunting. It blends the mundanity of youth with post-apocalyptic mystery and cruelty. Tyler Boss' art is so atmospheric, it really helps create a sense of place.

What do others think of it?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is Minor Threats ?

I liked it. It was a retooled version of a pitch Oswalt shared for a rejected Batman miniseries (or a graphic novel?) that was inspired by Fritz Lang's classic film noir M, with minor villains of Gotham City uniting to hunt and kill the Joker after he went too far and bought too much heat down on the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Have you gotten to Astro City #1/2 yet? It is one of my favorite single issue stories of all time.