Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cloks posted:

You know what comic features a cast of almost entirely anthropomorphic animals and is great? Autumnlands.

The other acceptable answer is Blacksad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just read the third trade of Wicked + Divine, and it felt almost entirely pointless? Which is a shame after two really good trades, but none of the characterizations really felt impactful, and a lot of it really felt kinda hilarious. Like Baphomet and Morrigan being textbook goth kids, and Sakhmet's issue felt like a good 5 or so pages were missing, since it basically went from "I'm aloof like a cat" to "cannibal" in like no time at all. Tara's moment would have been impactful and poignant if there was any sort of lead up to it, or if we had known Tara as anyone other than "loving Tara" throughout the rest of the series.

Did anyone else get this impression when they read through this "arc"?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The last couple times Wic Dev popped up in this thread, there were some massive unspoiler texted spoilers. I mean if you think about someone coming in here to ask about random indie comics and read spoilers about characters coming back, that's kinda a lovely thing to find out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And don't expect to get many more for a while, as Greg has to write a bajillion Wonder Womans.

Man I just read the second hardcover, and while it's not like, high literature, Lazarus is a drat fun read with a lot of fun characters. It'd be a shame to let all that worldbuilding they did go to waste.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So is the Manhattan Projects dead? I mean I guess they more or less ran out of characters and I'm not sure they ever had more of a plot besides "do weird science poo poo", but still.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Just read Kill or Be Killed #1, and enjoyed it a lot. Though I skipped the Devin Faraci bit at the end, though I guess I can't technically hold that against the comic proper.

The only other Ed Brubaker things I've read was The Man Who Laughs and the first volume of Gotham Central, what are his best works considered to be? Are Criminal and Fatale good?

Criminal is my favorite Brubaker, but unless you really dislike crime drama and/or noir, all of his Sean Phillips collaborations are really good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I know I say this every time a Wicked + Divine issue comes out, but please spoiler text things that happen in comics that are fresh off the press in a general interest thread that doesn't explicitly about discussing spoilers. I think it literally only happens with this comic and I have no idea why.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons: Book One

Thank you for telling me that this exists.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

foutre posted:

Providence: by Alan Moore, a take on Lovecraft and being queer in the 1900s. Really compelling combination of storytelling and worldbuilding.

Just to calibrate my tastes a bit, what did you think of Neonomicon?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a comic called (Re)Assignment starting this week about a hitman who gets forced sexual reassignment surgery as revenge. I'm sure it's real classy.

I thought this sounded familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Re)_Assignment

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Looking at that bundle, how is Mirror? I'd get it primarily for Emma Rios's art, but would be happy if there was good writing in there too!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Checking in with this thread because I got The Spire for Christmas but only got around to reading it over the last couple of nights. It's really drat good. Whole thing feels like it could take place in China Mieville's Bas-Lag world (eg: Perdido Street Station).

I read this based on your recommendation, and I liked it a lot. I think the mystery threads worked out pretty well and I like that they drop a good number of hints throughout the series about the final reveal, but I think that they rapid fired a lot of things at the end that didn't let the emotional impact set in.

I also have no idea why they kept calling Sha the last of the Medusi when there were clearly a whole lot of other Medusi (this is not a spoiler reveal).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Shelly Bond (formerly of Vertigo) is Kickstarting a collection of stories about women: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hificolourdesign/femme-magnifique

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

IDW also started publishing The Obscure Cities, although I seem to have missed The Leaning Girl before it went out of print grumble grumble.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

zoux posted:

Who's drawing RQ now? What terrible life events will befall them?

In an ironic twist, they'll win the lottery and quit Rat Queens so that they can work on and self publish their passion project.

I hope Rat Queens continues to be fun and funny.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I didn't even realize BPRD Hell on Earth ended. Is anything planned afterwards or is it just going to basically merge with Abe Sapien?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

How is Phonogram for someone who has like, no history with British pop music? I mean I don't even know the Beatles songs to any degree of familiarity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Man, I just read the last HC for Chew.

Man.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Finished reading The Complete Phonogram, and I would have liked to see more of it. Starting with Rue Britannia is rouuugh, since there are really no likeable characters and it starts with a not very gradual introduction to this world, its characters and its rules. I'm still not 100% sure what the hell happened, honestly. But Singles Night was really, really good, and I wish I could have seen all those characters and their relationships blossom into something great. This sentiment is echoed from the B-Sides. The Killers gag was pretty hilarious, even if it is a joke that will get lost in the obscurities of time. Immaterial Girl seems like it would have worked better if Emily Aster got more characterization to make the conclusion of her arc more meaningful.

It sort of reminded me of Carey's Crossing Midnight in that there was this fun setting to do stuff in, but not enough sales to write enough stuff to do in the setting. Alas, such is comics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zoro posted:

Oh...oh no...oh dear god no. Should I abort?

It's a Kirkman comic so yes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Even Ellis's Stormwatch was pretty much just a long prologue to The Authority.

Change or Die was a pretty cool arc, though. And of course the famous crossover with the WildCATS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

site posted:

I had it on my list as a prequel for authority, do I only need to read Ellis' run for that?

Yeah, Ellis introduces all the relevant Authority characters in his run.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So are editors like, not a thing that exist? Or quality control?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Saga's on a yearlong (at least) sabbatical:

https://www.newsarama.com/41081-saga-goes-on-year-long-hiatus.html

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I liked Metabarons more than Incal, but I attribute that mostly to understanding what happens in Metabarons and honestly having really memorable characters/vignettes (Steelhead's entire story is amazingly fun). I have no idea what the hell Incal is about or what happens in that book. Art is obviously gorgeous, though, but goddamn that plot was...well, I guess just typical Jodorowsky.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Oh hey, what the gently caress, Beasts of Burden is back?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1039184883959189504

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1039186283120222208

Kieron Gillen doing a deconstruction on Keepers of the Flame (or I guess insert any other "children get whisked away to fantasy realm" story, e.g., Narnia)?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've been out of comics for a bit, what happened with Southern Bastards? Is it over at #20 because it doesn't look like there's been anything since, but I haven't been able to find any indication that the story is over.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Aw man did Isola get canceled?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Giant Days just won an Eisner and is a perennial best seller in trades, its insane to me that Dark Horse doesn't want to publish more John Allison.

I'm still waiting for more hardcovers. It seems weirdly slow to release?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The_Other posted:

If you mean the "Not on the Test Editions", I think they stopped making those, according to Wikipedia the last one came out October 2018. As for the regular trades, volume 12 is coming out this January or February, while 13 is due out in June. I'm guessing a final volume will come out in fall of 2020.

But... I can't have half HCs and half TPBs. That's just wrong.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

:negative:

Were the HCs not selling well or something?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I just finished WicDiv and I feel like I need to reread whatever issue explained what Ananke's deal is because that just sloughed off of me. The last issue was fantastic, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just finished Hellboy/BPRD/etc. and that ending seemed kinda underwhelming? Like the big showdown between Hellboy and the antagonist was just super anticlimactic, and then the epilogue issue didn't really allow the consequences to have any weight of emotion. The death of the Ogdru Jahad was similarly anticlimactic and happened offscreen for chrissakes.

Like I dunno, given just how long that series was winding up to that conclusion, it just sorta farted it out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Did anyone read the new Rat Queens with the new writer? I was wondering if I should give it a shot, but I also feel weirdly at a loss for what series to keep an eye on nowadays. I feel like the only new series I care about in the past year or two have been Die and Ascender.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 13, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Was Mirror canceled or did it end on its own terms?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the status of Isola is? Not sure if it's dead or just Covid'ed.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I finished the entire run of Giant Days and I want more from the characters :(

Especially since the last issue was pretty eh.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yeah, I thought it was a nice continuation, but it just felt like another issue. I didn't really get the sense of closure that I was expecting, and the supernatural elements sorta kinda came out of nowhere. But overall, I definitely would have read much more of the slice if life adventures of that group of characters. Is there anything else comparable?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's also Bad Machinery.

ronya posted:

including As Time Goes By?

I'll check both of these out! I'm bummed that Wicked Things was canceled, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Do we know if Die will get a hardcover? I realize it might be too early to say, but 20 issues seems like a solid complete collection.