Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

Darth Nat posted:

I became aware of Ross Campbell thanks to Glory, and I've been kind of interested in exploring his other work. I really enjoy how he actually draws female characters with more body types than "supermodel" and "perfect male fantasy." Is any of his creator-owned stuff worth checking out?

I haven't had time to read it yet, but his webcomic Shadoweyes looks pretty good.

Additionally, his zombie apocalypse comic, The Abandoned, was well-done, but incredibly bleak and dour. It featured a zombie virus that was actually airborne, meaning that the entire book was spent watching characters you liked, suddenly get sick and die.

And that's when they weren't being devoured by zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchface
May 19, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Planetoid #2 was another great issue. Definitely recommending it. A mix of Conan and sci fi pulp.

See, I'm getting a very 'western' vibe off it. Like, this page is some serious Man With No Name stuff.

But yeah, it's pretty amazing. And surprisingly funny, too.

Munchface
May 19, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

I guess I'm not sure if there was more to the character arcs that I missed, or what. By the end of it, I guess Joe got over Anna by helping her save her boyfriend, the big tentacle monster thing gets completed and is revealed to be a giant cat for some reason, and everyone sort of goes their own separate ways. It just felt really anticlimactic - I know that Joe refusing Beebay's request to go fight the giant monster was supposed to be a big deal, I guess, but it just sorta came out of nowhere. Plus, I never quite got what Beebay was doing in the first place, and what she wanted from Joe/the Owls/etc.

I guess I feel like I missed a lot of exposition in general, and I'm not sure if that's because I actually missed something or if it's just not there.

For me, the point of King City is entirely encapsulated in Mudd's words to Joe.

"There'll always be some demon king or million gore vortex. Catch the next one. Take care of your people now."

The whole series, Joe's built up as the chosen one, the guy who's going to be the deciding factor in this war between two factions, where both sides seem equally menacing. But, he's ultimately forced to reexamine his priorities.

Graham's previously said that his editors at TokyoPop pushed back against him, to give Joe more of a character arc, and have him evolve over the course of the series. But, I think that what he ultimately does instead, is infinitely more satisfying.

Really, Joe's big character arc begins with, "It's almost too much for me and I hate how much I've missed her. My girl," and is resolved with the phrase, "Anna's not my girl. Not anymore."

He doesn't get to be the chosen one, he doesn't get the glory, or the girl. He does the right thing, and it hurts, but it gives him closure. Good triumphed over evil and that's swell, but more importantly, Joe was always there for his friends when they needed him, and life goes on.

You're not wrong in saying it's anticlimactic, but I suppose that just made me like it more. In the end, Joe's big victory doesn't come with a lot of sturm und drang, but it's still important.