Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Maybe having the creative team would be cool, too, so if there is a name people like on a book they'd know.

The Darkness
Top Cow (Image)
Writer: Phil Hester
Artist: Romano Molenaar
"Jackie Estacado, a former hitman and mafia don, is the latest bearer of The Darkness, an ancient power that allows its bearer to create constructs and summon otherwordly demons limited only by his imagination."
It is my life's goal to have people to talk about this book with. It's like if Green Lantern was a shitbag. Phil Hester relaunched this book in 2007 and has been writing it since. It has returned to it's original numbering with issue 11 of the relaunch, now issue 75. 98 came out last week, and I believe Hester is actually leaving with issue 100. What I love is that since the re-launch it's an official mature readers title which totally makes sense because what use is a hitman who can't swear? This book is about blood and guts and bad men and woman, their loyalties, and what is the measure of a man. It's also about Jackie ruthlessly murdering the crap out of anything that messes with him. More bad rear end than anything else I read except maybe Punisher MAX.
A good place to pick up is at the begining, because Top Cow puts out decent trades these days (except maybe the bindings. I think some of my Marz era Witchblades the glue doesn't really stick. I don't know if this is a problem with the Darkness because I read it in floppies.) Also issue 96 started this new and last story, which actually does not need that much prior information needed to dive in. Also awesome is a RECAP page, which is, I think, still rather rare.
Read the Darkness, please? I wish I had anyone to talk to about it. (David Hine is I think the new writer, who is also pretty great, so issue 101 might be a good place, too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

WickedIcon posted:

Is this actually a good comic or is it just manly as gently caress? The Xbox game based on it is absolutely incredible, so if it's even a fraction as good as that was...

Yeah, it's very cool. I think it does get bogged down a bit in a long arc with a villain, but it's broken up into small arcs that are all really cool.

If you liked the game Paul Jenkins run is sometimes collected and he wrote it and it was based loosely on it. I got it around when that game came out in a big trade with the first arc (Garth Ennis) and Jenkins first arc. Jenkins was a big bright spot in the books past. It was not as good as it is now.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Whenever I ask about fantasy comics people recommend Orc Stain. Is it really that hard to find the first six issues? Like, if I can do it for fiveish dollars a back issue I'll probably start reading it.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I bought the first Adventure Time issue from Kaboom yesterday on a whim and it was pretty great. I've only seen a few episodes but the tiny elephant that is my favorite character had a whole back-up that was awesome.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Thanks for pointing out Fatale to me, guys! I got the first two issues today and it was super awesome. Sean Phillips was one of my favorite Hellblazer artists so I'm looking forward to some horror. That alt. cover to issue one really sold me. I want a poster of it.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I just read a collection of Who is Jake Ellis? from my local library and it was really good. I like a good ole' fashioned action espionage story and I'm a really big fan of the coloring in it. It was really neat, it reminded me of Franavilla a lot. I'm pretty sure it was Image, you should read it. Nathan Edmondson and Tonci Zonjic. Really crazy, for something I randomly picked up.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Just wanted to say Adventure Time is a really, really fun comic. I can't recommend it enough. And seriously, dudes, thanks for Fatale. Between that and Saga I can't wait every single month. For an Image comic. Which is silly.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I'm a pretty big Top Cow fan and Silvestri just announced a Cyberforce mini-series for October. The article I read though said that he's releasing it for free, both in digital and print form. I don't even know how that's going to work, but I got really excited. Until they said Khoi Pham on art. Can't win them all.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
My mom is close to 70, and a couple of years ago she started asking me to read comics while she's on the can.

Saga is now her favorite book ever. I'm glad the robot sex didn't turn her off.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Oh only on the worst days do I actually have to sit there and read to her.

She's a pretty big Greg Rucka fan and I heard he and Lark have a new Image book in the pipeline. Any idea what its about?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Yeah that's a badass picture. 2013 is like so long away, though.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Benito Cereno posted:

Phil Hester's run on the Darkness is amazing, as are all things written by Phil Hester.

Man oh Man I've been reading the Darkness since Hester's run and it was amazing. The new team is VERY good as well. David Hine and Jeremy Haun are the team I didn't know I needed. I can't ever recommend this book highly enough. I was only disappointed in it one month in the past five years. (Whilce Portacio drew a horrid issue a few years ago.)

Someone's getting the first trade of Hester's run from me for BSSSS this year. I decided that long ago.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm really interested in Queen and Country by Greg Rucka: one of my favorite comic writers. It must be a rare series because I can't find it in any of my local comic shops. How good is the series?

I liked it a whole lot, it's pretty solid action/drama. I remember there being some really cool art in there, too.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
So Old Man Logan was the last Millar book I checked in on and I figured Frank Quitely was a good as reason as any to check it out. I quite enjoyed the Authority, Old Man Logan and Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men, but other times (Wanted, Kick rear end, Civil War) Millar has left me a little sour.

Jupiter's Legacy was pretty mellow, I think was the word I have been searching for, considering what I was expecting. The fact that there is more world building than punching and one-liners is something I enjoyed.

I didn't really feel like I wasted 3 dollars (Quitely art is always worth at least that) and I'll check it out next month, too.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Mike Carey apparently has a new ongoing out at Boom! Studios today called Suicide Run I believe.

Anyone know anything about the artist?

Mike Carey is usually a blind buy for me so I guess it doesn't matter, but I didn't know about this book at all until this morning so I am pretty excited.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
My bad, it was Suicide Risk, not Run.

It was also very enjoyable.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Just wanted to remind everyone that Fatale started a new arc today and Lazarus came out.

Both are incredible.

(Jupiter's Legacy didn't do much for me this month. I liked it but some faces felt rushed toward the end.)

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
The latest issue of Fatale was nuts. I was all "Holy poo poo" when I got to the last page and I haven't done that in a while. The one-shots were cool but I'm pumped for an arc again.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Any Mike Carey fans out there Boom Studios put out the first trade of his new book Suicide Risk alongside the first issue of the next arc.

First arc was really good followed by a single issue of world building so it's just as Mike Carey as can be.

A cop get super powers in a world of super powers. Nothing happens like you'd expect, and at this point I'm enjoying it more than I ever like Powers. Ya'll should check it out.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I have no idea what "Black Science" is about but based on the picture on the back of Velvet I am going to buy the poo poo out of it next month.

Image, man. On. Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Does anyone know if the Regular Show comic is funny?