Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
:siren:Uthgard information:
Uthgard is a popular freeshard that is currently in beta but appears to be closing on a full release fairly soon (as of 2016-08-29). Uthgard differs from the official servers by trying to recapture the experience as it was shortly after the first expansion, Shrouded Isles, but before the second expansion that many people hated, Trials of Atlantis. It's based on patch 1.65 and will have the Old Frontiers and the first version of the Realm Abilities, so Group Purge and things like that. The XP grind will be a lot worse than the official servers these days, but it will have the original RvR frontier areas which many people prefer. Some goons are using Discord to organize our Uthgard presence.

What is Dark Age of Camelot?

Dark Age of Camelot is an MMO that was originally released in 2001, which would rightfully be a death sentence for most games. However, Dark Age is still distinguished by its innovative three-way PvP system, which earned it Ten Ton Hammer's "Best PvP Game of the Decade" award even in 2010. This "realm versus realm" system is why you should play this game, because if you know what an MMO is, you are probably already sick of fighting AI or dealing with instanced PvP.

DAoC's realm versus realm (RvR) system pits the realms of Albion, Midgard, and Hibernia against each other in open war. Defenders of these realms fight each other in the frontier lands to win territory, titles, and various stat bonuses.

Also, you can build trebs and catapults and stuff to storm enemy keeps or defend your realm's keeps:

That sounds awesome! Where can I get it?

You can sign up and download the trial at http://darkageofcamelot.com/trial.

Wait, is it free?

If you play on the the official ("Live") servers operated by Broadsword/EA, no. You get a 14-day free trial, after which point it requires a monthly subscription of $15. There is no level cap or limit to what you're able to do with your 14 days, though. All players of all levels are able to compete in RvR, and there are level-specific "battlegrounds" for characters under the max level to get used to the system. There's also nothing stopping a level 1 character from going out into the RvR zone where the max level players roam about, if you're feeling curious.

If you want to go the freeshard route, you will still need to download the game but you won't need a subscription. Uthgard is the most well-known DAoC freeshard.

So how hard is it to get to the max level?

On the official servers, really, really easy. The developers know RvR is the major draw to this game. Thanks to some recently added quests, you can reach level 50 (the maximum XP level) in a weekend. Past level 50, you can continue to accumulate "realm points," which you earn by killing enemy players. You use realm points to train in additional skills beyond what you would get from XP. There are also Champion levels for a little bit of sub-classing.

On freeshards it varies. Soloing is going to be painfully slow in most cases, so find a competent group to get the XP bar moving. On Uthgard, the leveling is roughly targeting the original game's version 1.65, which was in the first expansion era. Leveling is very slow, so definitely group up and be in Discord or some other voice chat with people to BS with.

What if I already played a long time ago? Do I have to start over?

Old characters are still around on the official archived servers. For information on transferring your characters to the current servers and getting back up to speed, visit http://web.archive.org/web/20121020213530/http://camelotvault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Returning_Players. Instructions for transferring your characters to the main server cluster are here for most servers, and instructions for transferring from the PvP servers are in this post and this post.

If you played on any previous freeshards you're pretty much out of luck. The original Uthgard database was wiped and everyone's starting out fresh there.

Is there any PvE?

Yes, there are non-RvR zones with the usual quests and AI enemies. You won't see as many players in those areas, but they are still fun to explore. Some freeshards limit which zones are available, so your mileage will vary a little.

Are there really no instances?

There are a small number of instanced zones in PvE, but there are no instances in RvR. RvR is one gigantic territory divided up into the three realms' frontier lands. The battlegrounds are smaller versions of the frontier lands.

You keep saying "freeshard" and I have no idea what you mean

"Freeshard" is MMO lingo for a free, unofficial version of an MMO game server. Usually you'd want to stay away from freeshards, but in Dark Age of Camelot, the popular freeshards are emulating past configurations of the game for the sake of nostalgia. Gameplay on these freeshards is very different from gameplay on the official servers. I'm kind of hoping that these freeshards show Broadsword that it'd be worthwhile to set up a classic server.

I just looked at the class abilities on the official server and everything is different from what I remember!

Broadsword (who maintains DAoC after Mythic dissolved) changed a lot of abilities in patch 1.121.

Where can I learn more?

Some helpful links for the official servers:
Guide for New Characters (Hibernia) - Information about Hibernia's classes and races
The old Dark Age of Camelot thread
The Camelot Herald - The official DAoC news source
Dark Age of Camelot Wiki - The official wiki
DAoC boards on PostCount.Net - The most popular (public) Dark Age forums after IGN killed the VNBoards
ZAM - An item/quest database that is still mostly accurate
GearBunny - A template building program
DAoC-Charplan - A character skill planning program

Combo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG_k83Yiy1A

Its a bunch of RvR fundamental stuff...keybinds, targeting, etc. made by an extremely good shaman from the server I used to play on.

Helpful links for Uthgard players:
Uthgard website
Our Discord server for Uthgard

Other games to keep an eye on:
Camelot Unchained - A new, upcoming RvR game from Mark Jacobs, the lead designer and CEO behind DAoC originally

Feel free to chime in if you want to see something added.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Current players are listed only if they provide their info, so if you want your name on this list, make sure you post your in-game name in the thread!

Current players (Origins freeshard):
Midgard - Guilds: Buris Kinder
Wrex
Tanreall
Sersly
Nosthula
Zippo
Boho

Hibernia
Peel
Schepps
Lash

Albion
No one. Because Albion is the worst realm. Don't ever play it. (Actually, it's just that no one has posted about playing Albion on Origins.)

Current players (official Ywain servers):
If anyone's still playing here, I don't know about it.

FAQ:

Which server should I play on?
For population, you'd normally want to play on Ywain (the official servers). Currently, though, most of the goon activity is on a freeshard called Origins, which is DAoC without any Trials of Atlantis content (so none of the newest classes, no artifacts, etc.).

Which realm should I choose?
Most people on Origins are playing Mids, so you'll have lots of help if you go that route. There are a few Hibs as well. Otherwise, it depends on what you're looking for. Albion is based on Arthurian mythology and is the most populated realm on the official Ywain servers during US prime time. Midgard is based on Norse mythology. Hibernia is based on Celtic mythology. You'll have more people on your side if you play an Alb, but more people to fight against if you play a Mid or a Hib.

What happened to Uthgard?
Uthgard is closed for renovations.

Are the official servers divided up by region?
Not anymore. Europeans and North Americans all play on the Ywain cluster.

What about the old Gaheris and Mordred servers?
Gaheris is a PvE-only server, so players can't kill each other at all. Mordred used to be an open world PvP server, allowing players from all realms to explore every realm and group with or fight with anyone, but now Mordred characters have to be transferred to Ywain.

How do I change my keybindings?
Hitting Escape in-game will bring up the main menu. There, you can click Configure Keyboard to change any keybindings. If you happen to have something targeted or typed in a chat input box at the time, you will have to hit Escape twice if you want to bring up the menu.

Can anyone help me get started?
Yes! Ask in the thread. Make sure to include what realm you're in and what server you're on. Goons are usually able to help each other out with crafting needs and leveling.

What if I make it to level 40 and decide I hate my specialization?
On the official servers, respec-ing is cheap and easy now. You get free respecs at level 20 and level 40, which will wipe out all of your trained abilities and give you back your points to spend them again. You can also use certain stones to do the same thing at other levels.

If you get to this point on Origins and decide you hate your spec, good luck with that.

What if I make it to level 40 and decide I hate my class/race/realm?
You can offset many problems with character races by dumping your realm points into different stat bonuses, but depending on the race, it can sometimes be tricky to compete anyway. You may want to create a new character at that point. Changing classes and realms, though, can only be done by creating a new character.

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2014

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I'm going to come join you in Hib for at least 14 days, as soon as I can.

Account manager still down. [if this is a problem for you just hit refresh]

e: Also the Herald died a while ago.

e2: In-game name is Angrymother, or usually anything that starts with a G (due to forced name changes I can't remember what exactly). I am always down to help out new people with some cash and tips, feel free to message me.

Message us ingame we are always excited to have new goons, more and more are showing up

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 5, 2012

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
Downloading game now and signed up for trial. Will see you guys on Hib as well.

edit: if anyone wants a leveling partner let me know!

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009
I think I might check this out when my TOR sub expires in a week or so.
Is there a goon guild?

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
In on hib, will try to reach someone in game, I assume with so many housing servers its safe to say there is at least a fair population to this game?

e: in as xylthis if anyone is playing this morning, OP you should start a list in the second post of goons by realm

Xylthis, hib, ranger

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 2, 2012

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Account manager still down.

e: Also the Herald died a while ago.
This seems to happen periodically, unfortunately. Hopefully you get lucky one of these tries.

Bozonofski posted:

I think I might check this out when my TOR sub expires in a week or so.
Is there a goon guild?
If you're on Hib, we can invite you to our guild. There aren't many of the original guild members left, so we could make it a goon guild. :) If you want to play when no one from the guild is on, you can look in the alliance for people to group with.

Bishop01 posted:

OP you should start a list in the second post of goons by realm
Thanks for the suggestion! I edited my post to include this, and we'll probably reorganize some of the other info. If anyone wants to be listed, just say so.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm in on hib as Adenosine, and soon my bot Triphosphate :v:

I'm pretty experienced with the game, just completely new to Hibernia. But if you run into general game questions I can do my best to help with those.

I was going to do this big writeup on stats you want to look for on items but I'll just do a quick and dirty one instead. This is pretty general, some classes have slightly different needs. This is also pre 50, so I'm not going to get into the ToA bonuses.

Casters:
dex - effects casting speed, 350+ dex and 10% casting speed bonus from items will come close to capping speed
con/hits - health
acuity - piety, intelligence, and I think empathy are all covered under this, acuity is the general intelligence stat
+spell damage - the cap at 50 is +11 from items
resists - extremely important to cap later on, but you don't need to worry about it that much before 50 unless you're going to be sticking around in the battlegrounds

Melee:
strength - damage
con/hits - health
quickness - effects swing speed, the cap is 250
dex - a lot of melee classes in midgard kind of disregard this in templates, I don't know if its the same with hib. Dex is useful as it effects blocking and evade rates, but people don't go out of their way to cap it.
+ weapon skills - same as + spell damage
+ shield - if you're spec'd into using one
resists

Again, very general and doesn't cover hybrid type classes extremely well but it should give you some idea.

Combo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2012

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
are all classes pretty viable at this point? I am playing a ranger and will be looking to group and such but I really want to play a class that can run around solo if need be. How are groups and such typically formed in this game? do people keep to there guilds/alliances or is there a recruitment chat channel for rvr..... is the games population healthy enough for frequent RVR fun?

E: also i have literally not played since like 2004, I know people said leveling is vastly increase... should i just follow the initial questing for now?

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 2, 2012

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
I really wanted to play this game again, but just can't get over the clunky controls and interface. I've been spoiled by modern games.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

keeb posted:

I really wanted to play this game again, but just can't get over the clunky controls and interface. I've been spoiled by modern games.

Yeah if you're coming from anything like WoW, Rift, or TOR, the UI and everything is really, really going to feel dated. It takes a little bit of getting used to.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Even though this is a really old game, I think they've done a decent job of keeping it modern. DAoC is still the only MMO I know of that gives you this much control over creating a custom UI along with keybindings.

I reactivated my account the other day and was quite surprised by how easy PvE and is now. Aside from doing the quests in battlegrounds which I honestly think are the best way to level (XP is amazing plus you get BPs that can buy you decent gear including a good mythrian or two from cathal valley).

The repeatable ToA glass quests that just went in with the last patch are also amazing experience and can help you get your ML1-10 credit along with any artifacts you need in a weekend.

I leveled a sorc solo from 43-50 in two nights of casual play just using the realm buffs from the frontier keep.

The only thing that really is left to see is how good the actual RvR is. I'm told that Cathal Valley actually has a lot of the really good action but sadly none of my non-50s can go there yet.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I said this in the last thread, but I guess I'll give the summary here again for level 50 RvR I've seen since I've been back.

Alb - I've seriously never seen a group of less than 50 together since I've come back. Usually over 100 people running together, on up to 200 when we took 2 of their relics a couple weekends ago.

Midgard - The alliance I'm in really loves to zerg, they spend a lot of time running 3 or 4 full groups around labyrinth and take pride in "breaking" it. There are also a couple other smallish zergs that run around.

I do see groups of 8 forming up while I'm hanging around at Uppland though, so I assume 8v8 still exists out there somewhere.

Hib - I haven't gotten to 50 in hib yet but from the other side of it, I've only ever seen a maximum of 2 groups together at all. This means as a hib there is going to be a ton of people to fight, unfortunately all of them will be running at you at once and that gets extremely frustrating.

Also, and I was talking about this with Lore ingame the other day, but seemingly everyone that still plays is a drat redneck. You get on ventrilo and its like you stepped into the back woods of West Virginia with a bunch of people that are retirement age. Its a really weird phenomenon.

DAoC is the ham radio of MMOs.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
this is a level of ridiculousness i can get behind, I just need to figure out what class to play, any suggestions for a brand new person basically?
are you online now combo?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Bishop01 posted:

are all classes pretty viable at this point? I am playing a ranger and will be looking to group and such but I really want to play a class that can run around solo if need be. How are groups and such typically formed in this game? do people keep to there guilds/alliances or is there a recruitment chat channel for rvr..... is the games population healthy enough for frequent RVR fun?

E: also i have literally not played since like 2004, I know people said leveling is vastly increase... should i just follow the initial questing for now?

Most classes are pretty viable, though some are certainly more powerful than others. A ranger will have an easy time in PvE and do okay in RvR, though you'll find that your melee is a bit weak and assassin classes (infiltrators, shadowblades) will eat you alive since everyone seems to run Viper 5 and dumps damage poisons into you until you explode. I'd suggest speccing high in your bow, since sniper is probably the most viable RvR playstyle for archer classes currently.

The fun thing is that with leveling so fast and easy, you can always roll another toon and try a different class if you're not happy with what you have currently.

By the way, Lore and I should be online this evening after work, so look for us in-game by doing /who waffle - we're in the Cult of Nyarlathotep guild.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

this is a level of ridiculousness i can get behind, I just need to figure out what class to play, any suggestions for a brand new person basically?
are you online now combo?

I'm not, no. I'm working from home and my good computer is tied up doing that. However, if you decide to try it out, post here with your name ingame and I can hop on with my laptop that barely runs daoc and just idle/answer questions you run across.

I prefer casters in this game (I don't play them in any other game), but there is some things worth knowing.

As a caster, anything that a mob does to you is going to interrupt you, and you won't be able to cast. Early on, this isn't a big deal but eventually you're going to need to learn how to kite.

Always start at max range, and keep in mind that when you get a mob under about 20% they start to slow down...under 10% and they're barely moving. If you're casting at something and it keeps resisting, you're going to need to try to time a root/stun/snare/whatever spell so you can get away from it again. You also get a quickcast ability that has like a 20 second cooldown, where you can QC a spell on a mob that's already beating on you.

Failing that your only options are to run away or try to kill it with your staff, which is almost never a good idea.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Combo.. I'm currently on my ranger named xylthis, if you get some time to answer some questions msg me ingame, I am an experienced mmo player and with a bit of base information I can hit the ground running. Let me know.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
For anyone coming back, now is a good time to do it. the 10th anniversary of GOA Europe release just happened and to celebrate there is a 200% XP bonus in classic zones and dungeons. There's also a 200% BP and 125% RP bonus. Runs until the 13th: http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-birthday-daoc-eu

I kind of want to play my hibs again but it seems like a real pain to get a group going over there unless you know a core team that includes a bard.

Bearspeed
Nov 11, 2011

Accelerating to bear speed since 1988.
Definitely giving this a shot, joining up Hib to fight the good fight.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

angry muppet posted:

For anyone coming back, now is a good time to do it. the 10th anniversary of GOA Europe release just happened and to celebrate there is a 200% XP bonus in classic zones and dungeons. There's also a 200% BP and 125% RP bonus. Runs until the 13th: http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-birthday-daoc-eu

I kind of want to play my hibs again but it seems like a real pain to get a group going over there unless you know a core team that includes a bard.

I hear ya on the grouping comment. It's not too bad in our alliance if you don't mind running in our mini-zerg (1-2 groups). They invite anyone willing to go along if they're paying attention to alliance chat.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
I decided to reroll a bard, still in as Xylthis, would appreciate a ginvite whenever you folks get on, currently grinding BGs and getting a feel for the game.

Is it just me or are we the bitch ream? we have almost no keeps and no power relics? is this the status quo?

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 2, 2012

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This seems to happen periodically, unfortunately. Hopefully you get lucky one of these tries.

Oh god drat it all I had to do was press refresh once.

Loading up right now, will look for one of you guys in game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

I decided to reroll a bard, still in as Xylthis, would appreciate a ginvite whenever you folks get on, currently grinding BGs and getting a feel for the game.

Is it just me or are we the bitch ream? we have almost no keeps and no power relics? is this the status quo?

I think a relic raid happened last night and both mid and alb hit the hib frontier at the same time. That was the gist I got from while I was out leveling behind the relic wall.

When I was on my Mid character doing a relic raid a couple weeks ago, we stole two from Alb and Hibs "helped" (as in, were also in Alb frontier taking keeps and being a general pain in the rear end), so yeah. It just kind of happens that way sometimes.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Either way itll be good to play with goons and if for some reason I need to switch factions its not like level takes long :P

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Bishop01 posted:

Mid and Hib sometimes trade off being the bitch realm. Alb is the only realm that never really takes a turn at it these days. Hib's frontier is consistently popular, though. I think it's because Mid's frontier is depressing (looks like Wisconsin) and Alb's frontier is boring and full of humanoid NPCs (which is annoying).

Despite that, Hibs can put up a pretty good fight. Our alliance tries to run relic raids often, though the sheer number of Albs makes it hard to actually bring the relics home.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I'm having fun so far. Got a Sorcerer and Scout both up to 25 in about 8 hours or so total. Might try out a few more classes too.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is the frontier still about 8-man rapetrains wiping raids thanks to AOE mesmerize?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
God damnit Mythic just please make DAoC 2 or as my friend and I were theory-splooging about, a Game of Thrones version. I talk to the once head of servers for Camelot every now and then on steam, actually he probably posted in this thread. He said they considered DAoC 2 once, but then got the WAR contract. Woe is us.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

Is the frontier still about 8-man rapetrains wiping raids thanks to AOE mesmerize?

Not really. The zergs generally wipe the 8 mans, if there are any 8 mans.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

boho posted:

No, between purge, charge, heavy tanks getting a ton of CC reduction, etc, bomb groups don't really work so well anymore from what I understand.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Combo posted:

No, between purge, charge, heavy tanks getting a ton of CC reduction, etc, bomb groups don't really work so well anymore from what I understand.

Bomb groups can still work if they have Static Tempest and TWF, and if the enemy zerg is clumped up nicely. The element of surprise is huge, of course.

In a recent patch Mythic nerfed bainshees because some people decided to revisit the AE bolt bomb group concept. Until it was nerfed, it was pretty awesome to see the killspam when one of those groups hit the Alb zerg. Instant pages of green text. Even after the first nerf one bomb group was able to (basically) single-handedly stop an Alb relic raid.

In case you're wondering how the AE bolt bomb worked, a group with a few bainshees specced for AE bolts would stalk zergs until they had a good chance to AE mez and clump them up - the fun part about Alb zergs is how they all stick one person, so clumping is easy - then the bainshees would bolt from max range. All at once. I wish I could have seen it first-hand.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, I had a few of those on my supp SM back in the day. 8 of us were holed up in a tower with the alb zerg beating on the doors/crowded on one of the corners. Myself and the two other SMs had our healers stun them all and dropped right in the middle of the group on the corner and instakilled the entire group in about 3 casts. I think I had 50 of the deathblows.

That and taking out a group of people as they ran up to the lord room was really the only reason to play supp SM in RvR, but it was a drat good reason.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
I quit this game years ago when ToA came out. Is it still 'Dark Age of Cast-alot'? My paladin was not good for much more then an endo-bot.

I seem to remember getting absolutley destoryed in RVR near the end with masterlevels and artifacts doing crazy stuff. So do you have to get all the expansions, do all the extras to your template to be competitive?

This game in my opinion has never been matched for PVP on really any scale that comes close. It was just frusterating when expansions set you back so far...

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Rodney Chops posted:

I quit this game years ago when ToA came out. Is it still 'Dark Age of Cast-alot'? My paladin was not good for much more then an endo-bot.

I seem to remember getting absolutley destoryed in RVR near the end with masterlevels and artifacts doing crazy stuff. So do you have to get all the expansions, do all the extras to your template to be competitive?

This game in my opinion has never been matched for PVP on really any scale that comes close. It was just frusterating when expansions set you back so far...

Well, there was a time when tank trains were incredibly lethal. Right now the balance is certainly tipped towards casters in terms of damage and overall utility, though I'm still partial to some good old fashioned melee beatdowns.

As far as being competitive, it's probably the most accessible it has ever been in terms of getting good gear with relative ease. Leveling is easy, money is easy to get, master levels are easy to buy (yep, buy), champion levels are easy with a bit of RvR, and gear is either handed to you pretty much (BGs and quest hubs) or purchased with bounty points, a bit of plat (again money is easy now), or the other in-game currencies (glass and scales). Plus, with a bit of creativity, you can get a good template for cheap and look at upgrading later on to something with more or different toys. Heck, only my nightshade's template is really expensive, but I also enjoy doing some PvE raids so I won some bits of gear from ML10 raids.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Paladins can actually be a lot of fun. We get a celerity chant now and can have two active chants up if you're not really a fan of twisting (lot of lazy people just leave celerity/end up). Spec 2h and run with celerity and paladins can do some good damage. Also have an insta cast rez from the chants line now.

Overall, paladins are probably not essential to groups (a lot of people just use endurance potions instead of having an end bot), but in a good tank group they can really help bring the pain. I think we're trying to run some kind of celerity hopped up crush debuffing train with a paladin, armsman, reaver, and friar. Who knows how that'll work.

When I still played hib before we always ran tank groups with some combination of 4 bm/hero/champ/vamp. If you have good teamwork in a group, tanks are still very much the core of your damage.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Me and my friends did not invent the Castershade, but drat we as sure perfected it. How much of a nerf did the Nightshades end up getting?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Saveron_01 posted:

Me and my friends did not invent the Castershade, but drat we as sure perfected it. How much of a nerf did the Nightshades end up getting?

It was about a 15% nerf to the damage/delve value, which isn't too bad really. Resist pierce still works, so... :)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Castershades are a pain in the dick for my minstrel, especially when there's more than one.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Did some level 50 rvr tonight for the first time in at least a year or two. Used a terrible character that wasn't even templated properly on the classic server I imported it from, specced as best I could remember, didn't remember anything past 1-3 on my quickbar, and I didn't even have a group for most of it.

And it was still the most fun I've had pvping in any mmo since the last time I played DaoC.

e: Also, shorten this

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Which realm should I choose?
It depends on what you're looking for. Albion is based on Arthurian mythology and is the most populated realm during North American prime time. Midgard is based on Norse mythology and has an average population. Hibernia is based on Celtic mythology and seems to have the lowest population, although it's sometimes hard to tell between Midgard and Hibernia. You'll have more people on your side if you play an Alb, but more people to fight against if you play a Mid or a Hib.

to Hibernia

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well I hit 45.5 tonight and now I can do green glades glass quests, so hopefully I'll be able to catch on to a group for those here and there. I can solo the grogon's one easy enough, they resist a ton though.

• Locked thread